Start by marking “Downsizing Your Home with Style: Living Well In a Smaller Space” as Want to Read:
Downsizing Your Home with Style: Living Well In a Smaller Space

Downsizing Your Home with Style: Living Well In a Smaller Space

3.04  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
When you're moving a lifetime's accumulation of belongings from a larger home into a jewel box, the task can seem overwhelming—and so can your emotions. How do you decide what to pack and what to part with? How can you use the things you have so that they function well and look right?

Downsizing Your Home with Style answers these questions and more. Learn how to:

Create more
Published October 5th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Downsizing Your Home with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downsizing Your Home with Style

Janie
I picked up some good tips. None of what she said was novel or revolutionary, but that's fine; I was looking for practical advice. My brain isn't in a practical place, and I'm a pretty thick mover.

Her business buzzphrase is "Use What You Have", yet every section includes a number of new things you can buy. Her average client clearly has the wherewithal to hire her to help them downsize elegantly -- already I'm set apart from her target audience. Maybe I'll look for a book called "Goodwill: how t
Rose
I'll admit this particular book wasn't what I expected from a home arrangement book. It has some good tips and it's specifically oriented towards people who are moving to smaller homes and want to arrange their furniture and living space in a such a state. It's not a bad read, but I'll admit I was expecting more on the level of arrangement ideas, organizational tips, more image samples that would show (rather than tell) of what measure to include in each of the various rooms of the home, and mor ...more
Carolyn
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Carolyn by: I saw it on the Express read (7 day) shelf at the OPL
This is a great book for anybody whether you're in the downsizing process or not. I learned that front halls should be brightly lit so as to be welcoming. That very day we had just lowered the fixture (when we found extra lamp cord inside), cleaned the globe and inserted a larger spiral bulb. What a difference these small changes made!

Also, the author said that a seating area around a fireplace e.g. should have all chairs within easy reach of the coffee table for ease in snacking and conversatio
Bonnie
Jun 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
picked up some good tips, but, even though she said her focus was on doing everything inexpensively, i still thought some of her suggestions were pretty costly. for example, she suggests that instead of refinishing a table you "simply" buy a marble table top to lay over it. if give or take $500 is inexpensive, then i'm oscar the grouch living in a garbage can.
Linda C
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book lived up to its title. It starts with evaluating and measuring your new space before deciding what to take with you. It covers re-purposing pieces as well as separating pieces into parts. There are lists of what things to take and what things to leave; multi-functional and storage being key elements. Lots of useful info here.
Mrs.soule
Most of this book focusses on creating a "comfortable conversation area" which involves placing your living room furniture in a U-pattern with a coffee table in the middle. Tadah! Now you know! There are a few good ideas which save this from a one star rating such as utilizing space under tables with baskets and adding wheels to the bottom of functional and aesthetic trunks for storage that can easily be moved when neccesary. The two major topics I was looking for were totally absent though - ch ...more
Katherine
The best thing I took away from this book was these lines from the intro:
"Downsizing is as much about making an emotional commitment to change as it is about figuring out where to put your furniture. It's about living more simply and calmly, making that choice in advance and living it in the future. It's about leading a richer life by having less."

Although I was looking for more emphasis on the "downsizing" (there's more on this in the final chapter) with less on the "style," I would recommend t
Jennie
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book offers a few items to think about that hadn't crossed my mind. Balance, considering pets, and white washing are all ways to work with what you have. Although useful I found this book fell flat. Pictures of mostly modern furniture and really none of rooms with major transformations lack in the visual display of what the book suggests. Worth a flip through but look elsewhere for application of suggestions.
Megan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought there was a lot of practical information in this book -- both on how to organize/repurpose what you already have, how to make small spaces functional and attractive, ways to find more storage space, and stuff to get rid of. Unlike a number of other home organization books, these pictures looked like places where real people lived! I'll definitely be looking at her "Use What You Have Decorating" book.

Evan
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friends Tamara and Adam, among others, tend to follow the rule of "less is more" when it comes to their homes--something I struggle with. However, living in a 900 square foot house almost demands that I do it. This book has some very practical tips for downsizing--what to keep and why, culling your accumulated furniture, etc.--and is illustrated with tons of photos that show what rooms in a small house should look like.