Start by marking “Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books)” as Want to Read:
Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books)

Secret Seahorse (Hide-And-Seek Books)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Lead title
Hide-and-seek theme invites the reader to hunt the seahorse on every page and interact with the text and illustrations while simple, rhyming text encourages early readers' participation
Contains five pages of educational information including facts about coral reefs, sea creatures and the lifecycle of a seahorse
Introduces young readers to underwater vocabulary
Gift
Published April 1st 2005 by Barefoot Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Seahorse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Seahorse

Vivian
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Our "Starfish Stuff Story Time" began with this delightful look-and-find picture book featuring a sneaky seahorse on every page. The performer "spied with my little eye" a seahorse, asking "do you see the seahorse, too?" The children were quick to spy the seahorse. The performer said, "shhh, it's a SECRET seahorse" and then told them to "shhhh" whenever they spied the seahorse.

You can take as much or as little time as you wish on each page of the book, depending on whether or not you stop to co
Amanda
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is cute, and the crafted coral reef is a pleasure to look at. PLUS. It rhymes.
Shannon
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute picture book that would be great for kids who love sea creatures. However, it ended a little abruptly, and I thought that the informational pages in the back were laid out oddly. The book is about seahorses, and after the story readers are presented with, not seahorse facts, but facts about the coral reef, despite the fact that coral was not mentioned anywhere in the story. Young kids aren't great at bridging big cognitive leaps like this one, and they might lose interest here. Th ...more
jacky
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lib-lew, board-books
Natalie is taking her first visit to the aquarium soon, so I was anxious to find books about fish and this one was just sitting there waiting for us. She liked looking at the fish some, but wasn't ready to look for the seahorse. This would be great fun for an older toddler or preschooler. I really liked the variety in fish and sea creatures. I also liked how the artwork was all made out of fabrics and such. A sea turtle with sequins was a big bonus! What an awesome fabric book the original art m ...more
Lyla
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing

This book is great for a few reasons. 1. The illustrations are created out of fabric, beads, etc and are exquisite. 2. It's fun for kids to find the seahorse on each page. 3. There's some great information for young kids about coral reefs and marine animals.
Marisela
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
My daughter loves ocean animals so I knew she would like this book when I saw its cover. I was not mistaken! The rhymes flow easily, but I wish the fonts were larger.
The artwork is really impressive, all the illustrations are made out of felt, fabrics, lace and similar materials and accented by buttons, pearls and decorative stitching. Beautiful and inspiring. It prompted me to make a felt ocean scene for my daugter to play, she calls it "her Sea World".
Jacinda
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Words cannot describe how beautifully crafted this book is! Basically the entire book was created by someone sewing together amazing felt, bead and sequin story boards and then photographing them. The rhyming story itself complements the illustrations/craft perfectly with both tying together perfectly for a wonderful underwater adventure, meeting various sealife in the hunt for the seahorse.
Tiff
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a beautiful book. The story is quite usual but the illustrations in antique fabrics and felt with sequins, buttons, beads and assorted bric-a-brac is fabulously delicious and gorgeous! Children will get lost in this myriad of beauty and encourage the blossoming of their imagination.
Denise
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The cloth-inspired illustrations and hide-and-seek "find the seahorse" activity made this book truly enjoyable. When reading the book, remember to go back and find the other sea creatures and share their descriptions.
Stacey Mulholland
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We love looking for the seahorse. Craftmanship is fantastic.
Christine Turner
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyme, sea
A sea horse leads the reader past coral reefs and underwater creatures to a sea horse family hidden in a cave. Includes notes on coral reefs and various marine animals. www.hcpl.net
Pauline
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty artwork but I think for the age intended should use bigger fonts
Marisa
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book where you can look for the seahorse on every page. I really enjoyed the artwork in this book
Serena
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved the artwork in this book and the words are quite nice. Any book where you have to search for something is always a hit at my house, so the littles like it, too.
Chelsea Kirkland
Ocean animals, like I spy for younger kids.
In storytime: can kids participate in finding the seahorse on each page? Skip that part?
-Rhyming
-Not so interactive.
Rowan
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy, favorites
Rowan loves to read this one and find the hidden seahorse on each page.
Beverly
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Wonderful felt and fabric illustrations with sequins and other objects. Great for story time, letting the children find the seahorse on each page.
TwoDrinks
One of the reasons I liked this was because the illustrations are done in fabric. Really cleverly as well.
Shelley
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw original artwork at Strathmore's exhibit: Turning the Page: Children’s Book Illustrations
Whitney
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
very innovative art work. for those of us who have limited skill with our ahnds, very impressive.
Melissa
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My preschoolers loved looking for the hidden seahorse in each picture and were thrilled at the end to find the seahorse in a cave with his family!
Dianna
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Three stars for the text; five for the illustrations.
Claire
Derek and Hugh
Jun 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Animal Boogie
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • The Story Blanket
  • Goodnight, Me
  • Smiley Shark
  • Mr. Gumpy's Motor Car
  • One Is a Snail, Ten Is a Crab: A Counting by Feet Book
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Big Red Tub