Start by marking “Bear on a Bike” as Want to Read:
Bear on a Bike

Bear on a Bike

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Bright, colorful and educational, these chunky board books introduce preschoolers to concepts that will stay with them for life. And with sturdy pages and a high-gloss finish, the books will last almost as long -- even in the most inquisitive hands!
Board Book, 24 pages
Published June 1st 2001 by Barefoot Books (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bear on a Bike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear on a Bike

Henry
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We love this book. Its pacing, lyricism, and images make for a perfect bedtime story. I really appreciate how Stella Blackstone blends typical scenes (i.e., a beach) with stranger images/scenes (a costume party in a castle). Collectively, they create a really interesting impression that's greater than the sum of its parts.
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
I love this book for the rhyming text and the colorful, detailed illustrations. Every two page spreads covers a single place. The first page spread is the question page “Bear on a .. Where are you going, bear?” The second page spread is the answer page “I’m going to an ”. The second page spread is filled with so much detail, you could easily spend several minutes asking your young child to find things. My daughter’s favorite pages where the market and the beach.

Click here for the original review
Aaron
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My 2 year-old has memorized this and pretends to read it to me - she loves the characters and the drawings, and loves to pick out the different shapes and animals on each page!
Vanda
Aug 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks
My son L.O.V.E.S. this book. The artowrk is amazing - there are so many words to learn from the pictures and so much to talk about. And the reading is really good too.
Jen
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
It took me a minute to figure out that this is a dialogue between the boy and the bear--there's no visual setup to clue you in on that (and no punctuation for it, either). The bear is just wandering around through various locales, each wildly colorful and interesting but not related at all. Also, Blackstone fudges the rhyme scheme in a couple of places, which threw me off.
I would definitely read this with a kid, but only if the kid specifically asked.
Dede Janzen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter received this book from her pediatrician at one of her well child exams when she was a baby. The pictures are bright and busy. They give you lots to point out and talk about with your child. My daughter is now Two and this is still her go to book. I give it 5 stars and highly recommend it for ages babies to preschool.
Little Contessa
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites, particularly for children under 2. The rhyming is pleasing and the illustrations wonderfully detailed. I also appreciate that it features a child of color. My favorite in the “Bear” series.
Karen
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A little silly, a little fun.
C.M. Savage
Great book to read aloud to a child or for an emerging reader to read on their own.
yaya
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love bear, I love this book. (PS, I like the bear's hat)
Portable
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stella Blackstone's brightly coloured, intricately detailed Bear series are favourites not only for their infectious rhymes, but also for the detailed and thoughtful illustrations. Lots to see and discuss in Bear's home town.
Library Quine

Describes the different modes of travel used by bear with his travelling companions, dog and boy. They travel by bicycle to the market, by raft to the forest, on a wagon to the prairie, by train to the seaside, by boat to an island, by balloon to a rainbow, in a carriage to a castle, and by rocket to 'whereever'!
Terra
Jun 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddlers
My 2-year old girls cannot get enough of this (or all of the Bear books). This board book introduces modes of travel and adventure destinations in a great rhyming style. Colorful illustrations always offer us new things to talk about.
Stephanie Middleton
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful artwork depicting exciting scenes paired with fun, rhyming text. This is a book my daughter and I can look at together for a long while without getting bored. "Bear About Town" is my favorite Bear book, though!
bookgoddess88
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My one year old daughter LOVES this book. It came in one of my Citrus Lane boxes and she hasn't really put it down since then. This is the first book she has asked people to read to her. Very cute and bright illustrations..
Shelly Kittell
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
fun story
Heidi
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
My toddler really likes the Bear books -- the rhymes are fun without being forced or precious, and the colorful pictures are bright and entertaining.
Paula
A little boy accomapnies Bear as he uses a variety of vehicles to visit various locations.
Irma
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect book for storytime
Audrey
Cute rhyming story about different methods of transportation and places to visit. Imaginative and lovely artwork. Small children should be delighted with this book.
Alyse
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lila
I love the pictures in this book, they are so bright and fun!
Tori
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
June loves it, so do I! It's colorful, engaging, and I don't mind reading it again and again (that's a plus!).

You can buy Barefoot Books at http://hopegrowers.mybarefootbooks.com

Romelle
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rhyming picture book about a bear's adventure to various places on different modes of transportation. The illustrations are fun with lots of scenes to keep toddlers visually occupied.
jacky
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
William enjoyed this series.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is so bright and colorful! It's jam packed with great scenes. Each page has so much more to look at and discuss than just what the text is describing.
Ginger
My 2 yr olds love this book, especially the illustrations.
Harmonee Helms
  • The Animal Boogie
  • I Took the Moon for a Walk
  • Herb, the Vegetarian Dragon
  • The Gigantic Turnip
  • Christopher Robin Gives Pooh a Party (Winnie-the-Pooh story books)
  • The Day Louis Got Eaten
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • See Inside Your Body
  • If I Had a Dragon
  • Mama Panya's Pancakes: A Village Tale from Kenya
  • Anna Hibiscus' Song
  • We All Go Traveling By (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • The Perfect Present