Start by marking “Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories

Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  3,145 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
The best of a lifetime of stories from a short story writer of rare distinction.

Ruskin Bond’s stories are predominantly set in the beautiful hill country of Garhwal where he has made his home for the last twenty-five years. Some of these stories present people who, consciously or otherwise, need each other: people in love or in need of love, the awkward adolescent and the
Published October 14th 2000 by Penguin Books (first published 1988)

Amogha
Of love, of innocence, of loneliness, of hills, of grandparents, of trees, bees and butterflies, of the rain, of the sun, of girls with big black eyes, of love-struck boys, of trains, of you and of me - That's what this set of stories is about. Ruskin Bond has woven magic into words that are definite to send the reader into a time warp and beg for the romanticism of the old days to make its appearance again.
How I wish !
Arpit
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
What to do when done with Our Trees Still Grow In Dehra? Read The Night Train at Deoli and Other Stories.
It's the perfect unofficial sequel.

In this collection, Bond is still stuck in those good old days, when even adults used to fly kites, wrestlers were respected, he lived in his father's house, and he could still hold Sushila's hand. In short, in the times of Our Trees Still Grow In Dehra.

But time passes. (or does it? "It isn't time that's pasing by, it is you and I.") And Bond notices the lo
Gorab Jain
Here's what Mr. Bond is offering you

Another mixed bag of different flavoured shorties... ranging from a couple of pages to 20-25 pages each. Sweet, sour, childish, mature, scary, funny.... all tossed in a kaleidoscope!
Tarinee Prasad
There are books, then there are classics. There are writers, then there are authors. A step above them you have the story tellers
-Anonymous

But then there are people who surpasses even the story tellers and touches the most private of memories and suddenly every understanding of yours about life seems pointless and every calculated steps you have taken in life seems a mistake . You realize in this game of life you have traded something priceless , for some glass pieces ,the world made you believe
Shoa Khan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kite-flying was then the sport of kings. There was time, then, to spend an idle hour with a gay, dancing strip of paper. Now everyone hurried, hurried in a heat of hope, and delicate things like kites and daydreams were trampled underfoot."

I read this book on my trip back home in India this summer, and it was good to experience the mountain air vicariously while the temperatures around me soared.
This is a collection of 30 stories, some of them a tad too short, and hence hardly made an impact
Rebecca
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Long time since I loved a short story collection so. Such homely cosy stories and loved the simple narration. Will surely read more of Bond.
Angelica Watson (psst! amrutha)
Ruskin Bond is a lovely English writer. He describes indian life and our country's natural beauties, in great detail with wonderful intricacy. His Rusty series for children was authentic and very meaningful. His books make you feel like your close to him and he's whispering his thoughts, personal views to you. He paints beautiful pictures in your mind, making you literally live in the world of his words.

A simply excellent writer, one of my favorites!!! :P: :D
Dhiraj Sharma
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Train at Deoli is a collection of 30 short stories of Ruskin Bond.

The stories are simple and thought provoking and pertain to the time the author spent as a child and teenager in the foothills of Himalayas i.e Dehra and Mussorrie.
Most of the stories run into 2 or 3 pages. There are a couple of them which were part of my English syllabus while I was studying in school.

As Bond himself mentions in the preface of the book, his stories are not about espionage, mystery, suspense or murder. Rath
Tanaz
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruskin Bond is one of those few writers who makes writing look ridiculously easy. Brilliant.
Kanupriya Kothiwal
Ruskin Bond stories have been a delight to those who wish to savour a sip from the wine of bygone era! His stories, mostly set in the small towns in the hills( Dehra,Shimla) serve as a retrospective of the past. Ruskin Bond is most famously known for his very good psychology for school going kids and that is what probably reflected in his stories.

A bonding of a lonely school school kid, Arun and a mysterious lady who showers her motherly love( The Woman on Platform No.8), The old spinster who f
Aishwary Mehta
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quote from This Book that I Loved - Once You have lived with Mountains for any length of time, you belong to them, and must Return Again and Again.- The Leopard

Wow!! What a great experience reading Mr. Bond's short stories or as he says - 'Perhaps there is too much of me in my stories, and at times this book may read like an Autobiography'. This was my first book by Ruskin Bond but my god, it feels like that I've been reading him since ages, The poetry in his writings, the way he makes those w
Sheetal Maurya Godse (Halo of Books)
Being a Ruskin Bond fan I always look forward to reading his books. This book was on my wishlist for a long time and finally bought it on my recent book haul to Flora Fountain, Mumbai.

You can find the detailed review here http://www.haloofbooks.com/night-trai...

This book includes 30 short stories; each story is beautiful in its own way. This book is a bag of every emotion. Each story will connect to your heart. You can find humorous, quirky, heart touching, horror as well as mature stories in t
Yash
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes there is a collection of tales that has no purpose other than to simply be read and felt. There are no lessons, no morals and no conclusions. At the beck and call of a master storyteller, each word follows the next in a way that makes you feel as if you are walking a lush hill path strewn with fallen leaves and wild flowers. In these stories, life flows in a meandering manner, pausing every now and then at moments of beauty and poignancy. They contain love, compassion and longing, all ...more
Kavitha Rajendran
An excellent presentation of story ...................... enjoyed reading it..........
Arathi Mohan
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ruskin Bond at his best... His simple narrative style, his description of the Himalayan countryside which has been his home most of his life, the interesting characters he comes across his stay there, from the girl on the platform at Deoli to the leopard which comes to trust him; the stories will touch a chord in your heart and you will find yourself experiencing the same emotions as the characters in the book and hoping that they were real(as they well might have been)
Meriem
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really loved this story , i found it quite sad though but it's just amazing how he kept waiting for her and dreaming about her , it's like i couldn't get enough from the story and wanted to read more !
Aditi Shetty
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this as an ebook on Flipkart. Some really beautiful and poignant short stories make this book. Ruskin Bond is in his element here. He writes of birds, trees, mountains, rivers, trains....takes you back to when you were a child and saw the beauty in everything.
Sundara Gandhi
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sundara by: Gorab Jain
Rating-4 stars
Genre/Tags: Feel-good/Short stories/Travel/Befriending strangers.

The following words repeatedly pops up in this story-bind up:
Deoli
Trains/Steam-engines
Platforms
Delhi
Agra....etc,.
These words alone should make you pick up this soon enough. If not,let me convince you.
The one word which immediately on reading this collection best described my feeling was "REFRESHING".
It has a number of well portrayed s
Satish
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"People often ask me why my style is so simple. It is, in fact, deceptively simple, for no two sentences are alike. It is clarity that I am striving to attain, not simplicity.

Of course, some people want literature to be difficult and there are writers who like to make their readers toil and sweat. They hope to be taken more seriously that way. I have always tried to achieve a prose that is easy and conversational. And those who think this is simple should try it for themselves."

— Ruskin Bond (T
Aditi
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can read him once, twice, thrice, and re-read again and yet, NEVER get bored. Magical writing with a style that touches your heart. For those who have lived in India, get ready for a journey of reminiscence. And for those who haven't, well, he will make you come to this country, which is filled with tiny stories in itself. A must read for every child, adult and senior.
Namitha Varma
I can't say I enjoyed all the stories on the book - but most of them were lovely. I'm quite fond of Bond's nostalgic writing style, though.
Souvik Jana
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
A simple soothing story,,,takes reader out of daily complexity of life,,make reader lonely at a quiet village
Harish
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Thirty pleasant stories written in a style that reflects a romantic nostalgia of, particularly, India's past. I say past, but many elements captured in these stories are, well, perpetual; especially, the romance associated with trains.

I like the style in which it's written and I can't help but care for the characters in it. The usage of words like, 'samosas', 'maidan' and 'chappaties', which we've heard many time while growing up, only helps us to become more involved in the sto
Singho
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a marathon of reading heavy books (by heavy I mean the ‘theme’ and not the weight/length) and a barrage of unpleasant news thrown at me via newspapers and television, I wanted to read something simple. Not light or funny necessarily, but ‘Simple’ that is devoid of any complex twist and turns. And Ruskin Bond’s The Night Train at Deoli and Other Stories did the trick for me.

It took me back to my school days, when each year I would eagerly look forward to read stories in my English textbook
Tanya
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through simplicity comes great beauty.

There’s nothing too dramatic in any of the stories. They are simple and heart touching. It is all about human life – love, romance, loss, jealousy, pride, distress, and struggle. And there is an underlying message about humanity. The characters are so real. I feel I know some of them. Or maybe, I am one of them.

What really surprised me is the absence of definite endings of some stories. Yet, they don’t feel unfinished. They just feel more... real.

And even
Vinny
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Night Train at Deoli two years back in my English textbook and fell in love with the story and the writing as well. It was so simple and yet so charming. I've wanted to read all these short stories ever since. Once I started reading the book I couldn't put it down. The more I read, one story after another, more I was engrossed in a beautiful world. If I'm asked what's special Bond's stories it would undoubtedly be the simplicity of them. All of us encounter with lots of small events e ...more
Monami Bagchi
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of touching stories by one of India's most prominent writers and self-proclaimed short-story lover.
Through Ruskin's words you can almost imagine the silvery moonlight, dancing off the babbling brook and the sinewy tendrils in the forest of Uttarakhand.
Usually short stories offer a limited medium to emotionally engage a reader, but this collection is above par at what it does!
The stories are simple and tug at very simple, child like feelings in your heart without making you feel like
Aaruni
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is like a warm hug that unclenches your fists, calms your pulsating nerves, relaxes your back and gives you a dash of momentary peace in stressful times. It will remind you, just like it did me, of all the places, things and people that hover in some corner of our subconscious, without even realizing it. More importantly, it will make you realize, that stories are all around us. All we need to do is sit and observe. It will compel you to take pen and paper (or laptop, notepad, whatever) ...more
Ishan
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories and me, we've always had a precarious relationship.

The good one, and the ones that are good, are truly rare will touch your heart and mind in ways unimaginable, but the ones that exist otherwise, won't. Instead, more often than not, they leave a want, a hunger for more that sadly, isn't ever satiated.

Ruskin, falls in the former. Indeed, he's a seasoned fellow and knows not any else than to be great.
Reema D'Souza
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book indeed! Ruskin Bond's writing has magic in it. The stories are so simple but endearing. The beauty of nature, especially the hills is so nicely described. It takes you back in time, it takes you to the hills . Stories which may seem common place are so beautifully crafted that make you want more.
  • Vikalang Shraddha Ka Daur (विकलांग श्रद्धा का दौर)
  • Salt and Sawdust
  • Another Man's Wife and Other Stories
  • Amul's India: Based On 50 Years of Amul Advertising
  • Chowringhee
  • The Illicit Happiness of Other People
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi
More about Ruskin Bond...

Fiction Deals

• Where We Fall
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Over the Plain Houses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Deep Harbor (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Mustard Seed
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black: A Novel
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
“The pure, the bright, the beautiful, That stirred our hearts in youth, The impulse to a wordless prayer, The dreams of love and truth; The longings after something lost, The spirit’s yearning cry, The striving after better hopes … These things can never die.” 7 likes
“Well, it often happens that people with good eyesight fail to see what is right in front of them. They have too much to take in, I suppose. Whereas people who cannot see (or see very little) have to take in only the essentials, whatever registers most tellingly on their remaining senses.” 4 likes