Start by marking “Steampunk: Poe” as Want to Read:
Steampunk: Poe

Steampunk: Poe

If you combined clockwork gears, parasols, and air balloons with Edgar Allan Poe, what would you get? Steampunk: Poe! This is the first collection ever of Poe stories illustrated with the influence of steampunk. Running Press Teens has selected some of the most popular, thrilling, and memorable stories and poems by the classic 19th century American writer whose literary ta ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Running Press Teens

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk

Kaethe
Jan 21, 2013 marked it as abandoned
I quite like Poe's writing, and I enjoyed the art, but the two never seemed to amplify one another. I'll just finish reading his works as text only.

Library copy.
Kelly-anne.♥.
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Poe fans / steampunk fans!
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
First thing i'd like to mention is that this book is NOT by Megan Bryant. It is actually illustrated by Zdenko Basic and Manuel Sumberac, and the stories and poems are obviously written by Edgar Allen Poe, which brings me to my next point. How awesome is this book?!! To bring these Poe classics together with steampunk illustrations was genius. They go together perfectly!! I 100% agree that his works transcend their own times, and I think this was the perfect way to show everyone that. Reading t ...more
Christine Turner
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it

If you combined clockwork gears, parasols, and air balloons with Edgar Allan Poe, what would you get? Steampunk: Poe ! This is the first collection ever of Poe stories illustrated with the influence of steampunk. Running Press Teens has selected some of the most popular, thrilling, and memorable stories and poems by the classic 19th century American writer whose literary talent continues to open the mind to countless interpretations. Every Poe story and poems is fully illustrated with steampunk-
Bruno Lima
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
So, even if I didn't like the illustratrions and whole Steampunk things, I would still love it just for Poe's tales and poems (mainlly the poems, since I hadn't read anything from his poetry works).

But hey, I actually really enjoyed everything! The pictures were really great in illustrating the madness and excentricity in his stories. It was really cool how there were some characters and elements that appeared in more than one of his works, kind of like they were linking.

Also loved how they ma
Sweetp-1
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the kiwi book lovers GR group - I got to pick my own prize and this is what I chose. It is stunning. A mix of short stories (some I have read before, others I was not familiar with) and poems. The illustrations are steampunk-fabulous.
Tweller83
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Booktube-a-thon challenge: Read 7 books.
Challenge 17: Read a steampunk book.

Several of Poe's short stories and a few of his poems with steampunk pictures interspersed throughout. I think The Spectacles story was my favorite because it was so different from the others and quite funny rather than macabre. I also loved The Raven poem, of course, but also quite liked one called, The Bells and A Dream Within a Dream.
Jay Raams
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know Poe wrote short stories before reading this book and would highly recommend you read them. My favourite was The Murders in the Rue Morgue, which is a murder mystery that feels so much like a Sherlock Holmes story. I wouldn't be surprised if this story inspired Sir Arthur Doyle. The pictures are nice too.
Rose G
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the illustrations and I thought this book was entertaining when you're bored.
Kathleen Mcgrath
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork that complements Poe's stories and poems.
Roseann Podias
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of Poe's works, with illustrations that have a macabre steampunk vibe. I recommend it highly.
Melissa
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This book caught my eye in the teen section of our library several months back and I was immediately intrigued. I kind of love me some Edgar Allan - and my introduction to Steampunk last Christmas (of 2011) wasn't too bad either.

If you're unfamiliar with the idea of Steampunk, it's a little different. Wikipedia defines Steampunk as

"a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19
Kayla
I was soooo extremely ecstatic when I walked into my library and spotted this book! I first noticed it on Goodreads and thought that it would turn out to be one of those books I'd admire from afar but would never get the chance to get my hands on. Little did I know that someone out there saw fit to supply my local library with a copy, making me happy and hopefully introducing others to Poe's work through the wonderful illustrations, as steampunk is so popular right now. Though I never would have ...more
Bev
Steampunk Poe is a sumptuous collection of stories and poems by Edgar Allan Poe effectively illustrated by Zdenko Basic and Manuel Numberac with images influenced by steampunk. This edition showcases a variety of Poe stories--from the well-known "Murders in the Rue Morgue" to the more rarely anthologized "The Spectacles" and "The Balloon Hoax" and ornaments each one with steampunk-inspired artwork featuring elaborate clockwork aviation, cyborg-like evil eyes (a la "The Tell-Tale Heart"), truly p ...more
Hollowspine
I'm not sure I really can count this into the 100 books I've read in 2011, since in all truth, I only skimmed it. However, I have read these stories before...and they are not really all that changed by the addition of steampunk illustrations.

The illustrations did add to the stories, but truthfully I much enjoyed reading them without any distractions from the descriptive text weaving the scenes in my own imagination. Although the art was good, I guess I just was not a huge fan of the style. To me
Stephanie
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Poe and I was very weary of this book. To me Poe is the quintessential American Gothic writer, and while I certainly can see how perfect his stories would be to draw inspiration for the Steampunk genre, both in literature and art, I was deathly afraid they altered his stories. Can you imagine clockwork men emerging from the cask of Amontillado? The horror!

But no, this book is really wonderful. The introduction reads, "From Edgar's interest in technological advancements like hot-air balloo
C.O. Bonham
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of both Steam punk and Edgar Allen Poe, you can imagine, how geeked out I was by the discovery of this Illustrated volume in the steampunk classics series.

The illustrations were gloriously macabre, well befitting of Poe's Gothic style. While the illustrations added atmosphere and life to Poe's oft repeated works, placing the name Steampunk in front of his name was the real eye opener.

Had Edgar Allen Poe written the same stories today, he would have been classified as a steam punk autho
Barbara ★
I am definitely in the minority here but I mostly hated this book. It was absolutely not what I expected. There was nothing Steampunky about it really. Just a reprinting of Poe's stories with steampunkish pictures added. Don't get me wrong, I liked the pictures but they weren't really what I consider steampunk.

I remember reading some Poe when I was younger and I thought I liked it but after reading this book, I wonder what all the hype is about. Poe's writing is a terrible, rambling, flowery mes
Ingrid
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Auweek! Poe is creepy. Pretty much all of his short stories are horrifyingly violent and disturbing and dark. That being said, his poems have a beautiful flow to them and he captures the feeling horror pretty much perfectly. He's a great writer, he really is. Just... not for me. No, I don't like quite that level of darkness.

The steampunk inspired pictures, however, deserve about a four. The style was interesting, the colours good, and it certainly suited Poe's stories. I wish there had been mor
Jan 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poe's works don't always do it for me - some I love, some I'm "meh" about and still others I hate so very much because I was forced to study them in detail in school. This volume includes all three, and some of the poems.

When I first saw the title, I thought someone had mashed up Poe with the steampunk genre, much as people have mashed up Austen with zombies. Very happy I was wrong, because steampunk is one of those genres that I just don't get (I do know many people love it, even to the point
Tiffany
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a collection of some of Poe's short stories and poems accompanied by steampunk illustrations. But I have to say that I was not impressed with the pictures. Apparently the artists idea of steampunk was to add goggles to everyone's head and to randomly work in some gear parts. I was expecting much, much more. Poe was an amazing weaver of words and the images his writing bring to mind are so much more vivid and intriguing than any of the pictures found in this book. That being said the book ...more
Cheryl
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Steampunk and Poe
I had read some Poe before I picked this up but wasn't sure how I would like most of his work.
I love Steampunk so I was instantly drawn to this when I saw it at the library.
I really liked the concept. His tales are on the darker side. They fit in well with the Steampunk-ish illustrations.
I think if you are a fan of Steampunk and love Poe then you will love this. The reason I gave it only 2 stars is that I found that, while I think he is a fantastic writer, I didn't enjoy the stories much.
The
Paul  Hankins
Okay. . .it's a collection of Poe's short stories and poems, but it is so pretty. Why not introduce this book as part of a Poe unit. Throw this book in the mix with the Graphic Novel collection of Poe stories. Add the Alan Parson's project CD to go along with the offerings. Flood young readers with multiple approaches to Poe and one of those readers will stick their toe in the water.

Illustrations are steampunk themed, but the stories are in their original text. Dust cover is beautiful. Does it
Jay
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I expected something different than this: Poe stories with some steampunk artwork. When I read, I pretty much skip all the pictures, looking at the words rather than the images. So, the inclusion of pictures wasn't really a big draw, once I realized what this was.

The stories, though, were well chosen: a mix of the best known stories (Tell-Tale Heart) and much less well known ones (I'd put a title here if I remembered one). I had forgotten how much I liked the first 3/4 of the story Murders in th
Jude Morrissey
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
I adore Poe, and this particular book collects some of his short stories along with some of his poetry. It is an excellent introduction to Poe, having bits and pieces of all his types of works - horror, adventure, even some lighthearted comedy.

The book itself is beautifully arranged, and the artwork is simply gorgeous. I want every single one of these pictures hanging on my wall. Highly recommended for lovers of Poe!
JoAnne
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I am a HUGE fan of Poe. I love his poetry, and his short stories are great...that being said...I was disappointed in the Steampunk pictures. There weren't many pictures, and the ones they had were silly - apparently steampunk is drawing goggles on Jack Skellington-like figures.

The poetry section was done very well though. They could have left the Balloon Hoax out, in my opinion. If you are interested in reading Poe's work, get a regular anthology.
Jim Razinha
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I haven't read Poe in more than 35 years and I'm not sure why anyone outside of middle school would want to. As for the illustrations, the titular promise initially drew my attention, but didn't hold it once I saw them. I did not feel they enhanced Poe's pedantry, and only a few did justice to the titled genre.
Court
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Natalie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it liked it
It gets three stars for the Poe. I was expecting this book to be Poe's tales retold as steampunk stories; however, this was not the case. The stories and poems were illustrated with a few steampunk style pictures. The drawings were excellent, but there needed to be way more. Perhaps this book should have used less Poe stories and added more illustrations.
Taylor
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this up because of the illustrations, they are beautiful. I already own 3 different editions of Poe's work, but I had to have this because I love steampunk artwork. The original poems and stories have not been changed at all, but the illustrations add a little something extra to the reading experience.
  • The Art of Steampunk
  • Carnal Machines
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Steampunk Bible
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • Thomas Riley
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon (Burton & Swinburne, #3)
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Steampunk: The Art of Victorian Futurism
  • Steampunk Style Jewelry: Victorian, Fantasy, and Mechanical Necklaces, Bracelets, and Earrings
  • The Horns of Ruin