Start by marking “The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual Of Survival And Manners” as Want to Read:
The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual Of Survival And Manners

The Unexpurgated Code: A Complete Manual Of Survival And Manners

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Even Donleavy himself is reluctant to categorize this book, hinting that perhaps it is still fiction. It's most often found listed as nonfiction, however. A guide to social climbing and survival in the asphalt jungle as only Donleavy could write. Not for the easily offended and wonderfully about as non-politically correct as could be. Also rife with illustrations by the au ...more
Published November 25th 1976 by Penguin Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpurgated Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpurgated Code

Manny
At the GoodReads Site

Reviewing sites like GoodReads give the gentleman or lady of leisure a splendid opportunity to display their wit and all-round erudition. Post reviews in moderation, choosing a balanced selection of books. Ideally, a scholarly dissection of an obscure but greatly respected classic should be followed by an earthily Anglo-Saxon parody of a notorious piece of trash, and vice versa.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy
Anna
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Profane and very funny, an example....

Under Vilenesses Various he covers such things as farting and bodily stench.

Plate and Knife Licking

This is a satisfying ritual and is not only to be resorted to when one is not able to get a further helping. Although widely ridiculed as bad manners, it is permissible if delicately executed and demonstrates more than anything else your enjoyed appetite as well as your thrift.

While holding the plate surface vertically in both hands well up to the face, licking
Chris
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, to-re-read
It's a shame that this one is so hard to find, as it's one of the absolute classics of curmudgeonly advice, absolutely on par with Ambrose Bierce's 'The Devil's Dictionary.' Best not to read it all in one sitting, though -- it can be draining! Hilarious, but draining.
Phillip
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: folks who love brits
I re-read this book every year or so. I fall out of my chair laughing every time. I love British humor (even though this is an American writing, technically). The Pukka language is how they ruled the world with a few swords and an attitude. The book is a description of how 'gentlemen' handle all varities of situations. "Upon finding ones pants...."
I love this book.
Clive Warner
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Not a casual read, more of a reference book for social climbers and those that would defeat social climbers. I nearly had cause to refer to it recently after a small mongrel tried to take on my St Bernard... Dunleavey has included in the book, somewhere, instructions on how to behave if your dog has killed someone else's dog (and vice versa)
Scott
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An irreverent satirical guide to English high society. I really enjoyed the focus on posh accents and how it would have two different ways to approach each situation depending on which accent you wished to use. It did make me wish I was part of their livelyhood though, at least made me want to give it a sporting try, as those fine chaps might say!
George
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Donleavy was doing gold-plated snark decades before we all had a word for it. He lives in a castle in Ireland and peers down with a disgusted look at the rest of us.
A thoroughly gutter-snipe, trashy Swift - I love his stuff!
DoctorM
Here's the way it is. You need this advice. Thirty-odd years on, this book still tells you how you'll need to behave to be Correct in situations that you'll no doubt find yourself in. Just trust JP and keep up Standards.
Claire S
My brother and I were both too young for this when it was gifted to one of us (and shared) by Our Dad. (Clearly another notch in my 'it's not my fault' belt). We gaped and pointed and snickered and eventually it went away. Clearly HE thought it was funny, so there's that.
Katherine
May 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Hilarious jabs at the upper crust
Phil
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genius advice book on social climbing and behavior that makes Parkinson's Law look reasonable.
Winston Tuttle
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Timeless humour in the clever, but dirty way that only Donleavy can get away with. Cherish this book.
Alison
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very very funny.
Matthew
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
simply incredible.
Craig
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just dipped into this, but so far its a ROTHFLMAOUMIWCCTTMA funny.
Richard Thomas
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour-and-wit
What other book would a prospective gentleman need?
Mike
May 27, 2013
Vernonslvn
Nov 10, 2016
Malathi
rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2014
  • The Origins of Greek Thought
  • Uncle John's Funniest Ever Bathroom Reader
  • The Dreamfighter And Other Creation Tales
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade
  • The Government of Self and Others: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1982–1983
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • Mr. Mike: The Life and Work of Michael O'Donoghue
  • Novels and Other Writings : The Dream Life of Balso Snell / Miss Lonelyhearts / A Cool Million / The Day of the Locust / Letters
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • The Sexual Life of an Islamist in Paris
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women
922006
James Patrick Donleavy is an Irish American author, born to Irish immigrants. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II after which he moved to Ireland. In 1946 he began studies at Trinity College, Dublin, but left before taking a degree. He was first published in the Dublin literary periodical, Envoy.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.P._Don...
More about J.P. Donleavy...