Start by marking “Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,398 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Many people know they could benefit from the therapeutic act of journaling, but the dread of not knowing what to put on the page stops them. 'Visual Chronicles' provides a no-fear guide to expressing one's deepest self with art & words.
Published March 11th 2006 by Northlight (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Visual Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visual Chronicles

Z by Therese Anne FowlerVisual Chronicles by Karen DininoArt Journals and Creative Healing by Sharon SoneffJournal Spilling by Diana TroutArtists' Journals and Sketchbooks by Lynne Perrella
Art journals
33 books — 8 voters
The Repurposed Library by Lisa OcchipintiDelight in the Details by Lisa M. PaceThe Altered Object by Terry  TaylorAll Things Paper by Ann   MartinVintage Collage-Works by Maryjo Koch
Paper Crafts
31 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Although the writing style is Very! Exuberant!, I did get a few good ideas from this one. There were also things I didn't connect with at all, like the whole Personal Palette concept. Please note that the authors have a fairly minimalist style in terms of art journaling.
Lee Goldberg
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I only say that because I am the definition of that headline -- but VISUAL CHRONICLES made me want to sit down with glue, scissors, and some old magazines...and make something fun. I'm not an artist, but Linda and Karen made me feel like one. This book is inspiring, funny, creative, and wonderful -- and that's if all you do is look at the pictures. The writing is a class above most instructional art books, full of wit, character, wisdom, and enthusiasm. VISUAL CHRONICLES is for artists, aspiring ...more
Lisa Kemble
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-journaling
Good prompts/stems. Some simple & useful explanations of technique. Artwork is mostly simplistic and not compelling, except for the cover (!)
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: creativity, 2010
Amy posted a great and enthusiastic review of this book in episode 32 of the Creative Mom podcast. It spurred me on to finally get this out of the library and read it. After reading several pages, I realized that I may have read this book before. It seemed very familiar, but I kept on. The tone of the book is good and I like the idea of two people working together to write the book. It is too project oriented for me, however. I would have liked more inspiration, whys and wherefores of what they ...more
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: scrapbooking
This is a hard book to review - it took me about 5 months to read it with a huge break along the way. For a huge part of the book, I felt like their projects have too little information. Not enough words for my kind of creativity. Even if I were to accept the lack of words, I still needed more visual information in terms of pictures, symbols - something!
But then some of the projects started to make sense. I loved the idea of using a travel guide book as a basis for making an altered book about a
Aug 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: art
This book is intended for people who are not used to expressing themselves with "art". It is full of ideas for projects to get you started: artistic prompt journals, pet peeve journals, personal color palette journals, travel journals. None of which interested me.

There are some good ideas about using "ephemera", found objects, and materials that you already have on hand.. As well as suggestions for how to do art "on the go", while traveling or running errands. There is even a section on page co
How much you like this book is going to depend largely on whether or not you like the author's style, which includes magazine cutouts as the majority of its suggested journal imagery, and big, blocky rubber stamp alphabets for adding text. (Full disclosure: I really, really do not like the look.) Additionally, the whole idea of keeping different journals for different topics ("things that push my buttons", "wishes", travel destinations, etc.) don't seem like they need much more than a short blog ...more
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am a mixed media artist who was nervous about making an art journal. Because I felt it had to chronicle EVERYTHING. This book I feel is for the beginner in creating art journals but I also feel long time artists can get something from this book. Because not only did it help me jump into creating an art journal it also helped me give myself a pep talk on my art - on the block I had up. I haven't done any of the projects in - but again for first time art creators the projects would be good jumpi ...more
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 stars actually, guess I give the extra half because I still want to support women writing books.
This was published in 2006; 9 years ago so many of the techniques are basic and outdated. This book feels like a scrapbooker or card-maker would like it more than an art journaler or mixed media artist.
I really like the mail art examples in the back and a couple techniques like "pieces of me" and "personal palette."
I didn't like that the authors suggest you go still paint sample sheets from the h
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased
I feel like it is a "horoscope" for me as a beginner in art journaling/scrapbooking.

Some ideas, styles or themes i already assumed. Many of the techniques are simple, making it suitable for my limited time.

By limited i mean my already little time for reading is now officially shared with journaling. (Note: As of this writing, March 3, 2018, I'm still not counting this in my reading challenge, being a reference book.)
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-making
Too simplistic and handholding for me, but will work for others. I will not be keeping it.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-mixed-media
Lots of inspiration, and projects to push you creatively.
Catherine Yezak
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The illustrations were wonderful and it was easy to follow the craft suggestions. I can't wait to start my own art journal.
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Rare is the book that actually lives up to its promises. This book does it. Written by a sister-sister team (one a writer, one an artist), this book shows you step-by-step how -- and why -- to create a visual journal. From color selection to images, it discusses projects, how-tos, tips, and more. A great choice for those who want to investigate or dabble in visual journaling but aren't sure where to start.
This is a nice beginning level intro to art journalling, geared towards the non-artsy type. Good source for the most basic level projects/ideas. The book itself is entertaining to read, but I found the journal pages a little too blah - although, again, the methodology/techniques can be used to create far more exciting work.'

I will add this book to my Creative Journalling Class bibliography, but "level" it for beginners.
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book has been on my wish list for awhile. I'm so glad I finallly picked it up. I've been in a "creative" funk for awhile now, and the ideas in here were very helpful to pull me out of it. I really like the idea of making idea swatches to inspire you later. Read the book to learn more about it!
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
The ideas presented here are so different from the way I scrapbook, that at first I couldn't really connect. Also, it had much more text than I expected from this type of book. There are some nice ideas here, but none that made me want to rush out and try them. Maybe someday I'll try one.
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Nothing in this book was really my style, nor particularly useful in my own art (, but I really liked the step by step instructions, personal anecdotes, and overall helpfulness of the authors.
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Again, highly recommended if you are looking to start journaling in a new and creative way.
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Had a few ideas I would use, but overall not my style
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Like Journal Revolution, this is one of those inspirational books that has easy creative projects.
Lisa/Bluestem Cafeohlai
Jul 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another source of high motivation for using what you have on hand and encouragement to put it into a masterpiece.
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book to start Art Journaling! Loved to read it.
Jul 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
not my style.
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a pretty quick read. It had some good prompts for journaling but nothing significantly new or different.
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bought this a couple years ago. Love it.
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creativity
Dana M.
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed. Definitely want to reread.
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting
Loaded with information, somewhat overwhelming. Great for beginners.
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks  Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Altered Books Workshop: 18 Creative Techniques for Self-Expression
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Journal Bliss: Creative Prompts to Unleash Your Inner Eccentric
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Altered Books, Collaborative Journals, and Other Adventures in Bookmaking
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Collage Lost and Found: Creating Unique Projects with Vintage Ephemera