Start by marking “The Diva Doctrine: 16 Universal Principles Every Woman Needs to Know” as Want to Read:
The Diva Doctrine: 16 Universal Principles Every Woman Needs to Know

The Diva Doctrine: 16 Universal Principles Every Woman Needs to Know

Patricia V. Davis may be the first to tell you she's an expert in failed relationships. But ask any of the readers who helped a post on her advice blog go viral, and they'll say that whether you're wide-eyed twenty-something dreamer, the world's grooviest grandma, or something in between, there's no one better able to help you on your way to becoming a True Diva
Published May 8th 2011 by Bonneville

To ask other readers questions about The Diva Doctrine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diva Doctrine

Start your review of The Diva Doctrine: 16 Universal Principles Every Woman Needs to Know
Beverly
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some quotes from the book:
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Airde.

"Happiness is an inside job!" Dove chocolate wrapper

My thoughts:

I wasn't sure what I would think of this book when asked to participate in the blog tour. I am not one to read self-help type books, but I thought I would give it a shot -

I knew I would love this book the minute I started reading it!

Every woman should read this book, young and old alike. Even women who are
Sherri
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ever once in a while a non-fiction books jumps up and just grabs my attention. This book was one of them. I actually had seen it posted on NetGalley.com before the publisher contacted me about the virtual blog tour.

So what grabbed my attention? The quirky, non-nonsense, down to earth, tell it like it is style of writing that Patricia V. Davis has. Her light and humorous writing style enhances the storytelling of this book and makes the often burdensome topic of self improvement actually fun to
Birgit
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Granted, I'm not the kind of girl to devour self-help books by the dozen. In fact I avoid them like the plague. Now you might argue that by reading The Diva Doctrine I made an exception. Wrong. This is so much more than just another self-help book.
Being asked to write a book after her blog post “From an older woman to a younger one” literally went toxic, was a bit of a shock to Patricia V. Davis. However, the thought of how profoundly her blog post had touched and encouraged readers, thankfully,
Elizabeth B
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like most women, I went into this book highly skeptical. Boiling down what it takes to be a woman into 16 steps?? Seems like the mental equivalent of the lemonade diet to me. But then I started reading and began to understand the concepts the author promotes and how they relate to everyday life. While there isn’t anything new here, it’s presented in such an easy manner that it makes it accessible to just about everyone. Written similar to an article in a magazine, it makes it easy to take it a ...more
Krista Jenkins
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute delight! I'm not big on self-help books, though I have read the occasional LDS one, but I was thoroughly pleased with the content of this book. It's funny and informative - my kind of non-fiction! Every woman should read this book!

Oh yeah, took the test at the end and I'm on my way to becoming a True Diva :D
Mariah Gerlach
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
LOVED. I don't typically read a lot of non-fiction, but this book was full of great pointers that I'm honestly trying to adapt into my life. This book is a must-read for any woman, no matter what stage she is in in her life.
TheGeekyBlogger
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Received from NetGalley for review then bought on Amazon to keep!
Overall Rating: 4.5
Advice Usefulness: 5.0
Antidotes from author: 4.0

NOTE: I bought a copy of this book after reading it as an ARC from NetGalley. This is one of those books that I would recommend to any woman no matter what her age.

What I found useful: The Diva 16, definition of a true Diva (A “diva” in the true sense of the word, is a woman who’s clever, confident, classy, powerful, passionate, and compassionate.), and all the
L_manning
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I find it a little hard to review a book that is "self-help." I will say that I enjoyed this book a lot! It is a fun, fast read. I agreed with so many points Patricia Davis makes, and I think many others will too. The book is based on a blog post that went viral, and it's easy to see why it became so popular.

First of all, some time is spent on the true definition of "diva." We're not talking about someone who is selfish and demanding, ready for their close-ups on any number of reality shows. No,
Jodie
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Patricia has left me blown away! What was so interesting to me was that it seems like this book was introduced to me for a reason. When I first started reading it, I was going through such a rough few days and this book really helped me lift my spirits instead of wallowing in self pity. Coincidence? Possibly!

The Diva Doctrine is most definitely one that all women should read! Patricia doesn't just stick with one topic and ramble on, she brushes on many and fills you with such great knowledge
Eliza Fayle
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw the title of Patricia V. Davis’ book, The Diva Doctrine, I wondered if I even wanted to be a diva. It seemed to have negative connotations. However, Patricia seemed really super cool, so I decided to conjure up images of divas before I started reading.

What I discovered was a diva, that would be Patricia, mentoring younger women how to become divas in their own right. Covering everything from body image, to self worth, to talking to men, to choosing men, to freeing yourself of
Lily E
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not one to read many self-help (or any non-fiction on my free time actually!), but this book grabbed my attention with its quircky cover and title. Maybe I do need diva advice for myself.

What is found within the book aren't make-up tips or which dress suits your form better or how to find a look-a-like for those designer shoes and bag you've been oggling for ages. What you get is sound advice and good tips on how to lead your life to be a better person and live happier. As simple as it
Laura Holland
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Patricia V. Davis conveys honesty and accessibility in spades in this book, as well as a sincere desire to help others as she accepts and passes on some of the lessons life has to offer. She shares her experiences and insights in a highly readable and engaging manner, too. I think when you finish this book you'll feel like you've made a new friend, someone whose writing you'll want to return to much like you'd stop in for tea or coffee and a chat with a dear friend.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This really is a book that women should read. I am in awe at the wisdom found in the pages of the book.

I don't read many non-fiction books because I prefer to be entertained. I learned some great principles and I was entertained. A big win for me.
Carmen
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was so pleased to give a copy of this book to my step daughter. Even though we don't have a relationship right now, it pleased me that this book full of wisdom and respect for the feminine spirit was a gift I could pass along.
MrsPeel
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was one of those bloggers who read the original post in awe (as everything Patricia writes, really) and believe you me, even if you have no intention of turning into a diva, each and every woman should read this.
Cynthia
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this and I love you!! After winning this, I marked it up and down in sticky notes, because good doctrines were everywhere. This cook has helped me through a very tough time in my life. Your cheery voice makes me look on the bright side of things. Thank you for writing the Diva Doctrine!
Haizle The Princess
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
This wasn't what I expected at all. It was just meh. More life lessons to be learned for teenagers than adults I think.
Ju
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
646.7008 I already knew most of this great advice but I enjoyed reading this and I like her writing style. Have never read her blog or anything else by her. Another author to add to my To-Read list.
Shersta
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this - a highly recommended read for any lady, young or slightly less young, who wants to know how to get more self-confidence and a more assertive attitude toward her own life.
Mia
Aug 18, 2019
HD Media Press
Feb 06, 2018
Armonia Art
rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2015
Tamoharb
Mar 30, 2016
Maria Vezyrakis
Feb 25, 2018
Patricia V. Davis
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Serena
Apr 25, 2011
An ebook promotion for 99 cents 1 1 Jun 03, 2015 11:24AM
PATRICIA V. DAVIS's debut novel, COOKING FOR GHOSTS: Book I in The Secret Spice Cafe Trilogy was presented at the Queen Mary Salon Series. Book II, SPELLS AND OREGANO was praised by magician, David Copperfield for its capture of magical performance. The trilogy is an official selection of The Pulpwood Queens Book Club, the largest book club in the world, with over 700 branches. DEMONS, ...more
“The only thing you should be faking is confidence. If you don't have it yet, pretend that you do. Pretend you're not nervous, pretend you're not scared, and after a while, the pretend part disappears.” 23 likes
“If I had a daughter, here's what I'd tell her:

One day, when you've worked hard for what you want, when people see that you are confident and intelligent and that you recognize your own self-worth, when you take care of yourself, support yourself, and stand up for yourself, that is the day that the world will call you "a cruel and selfish bitch."

It's a tough title to earn and you should be and proud of it.”
8 likes