Start by marking “The Art of Amy Brown” as Want to Read:
The Art of Amy Brown

The Art of Amy Brown

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  9,207 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
The Art of Amy Brown is the first collection of Amy Brown's wildly popular art. It was published by Chimera Publishing in 2003. The book is 157 pages of art, with a commentary by Amy Brown for every piece of artwork. The Art of Amy Brown has an introduction by the well-known author Charles de Lint. There are three editions of this book—a paperback, a hardcover, and a speci ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Chimera Publishing

Athena
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I'm a fan of Brown, and not just because of the material she paints. I read an interview with her and she admitted she wasn't a natural artist and that she's always had the drive to create beautiful pictures and then worked really hard to achieve it. With this book you can see her flaws and what elements she needs to work on (faces, feet), but you're still enthralled by the scenes on the page. She's very human and so is her art.
Ashley
there really was no words but the illustrations were incredible!!!
I have always loved fairy's, gnomes, things of that manner and this book was great I own the book 1 and 2 from Mrs. Amy Brown

Very worth buying just to have on the coffee table
Jeneé
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales, art
One of my favorite artist. I was so inspired by her art in this book that I wrote a poem for each and every picture.
Dharia Scarab
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Velvetea
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Creative character and fashion designs by one of the most influential fantasy artists of today~ I like the story of how she came to be a successful artist.

While her style is not my favorite, tending to be flat, static, and a little wonky in proportion at times, the flaws add to her REALNESS, and you can see how she's progressed over the years! The world adores her, and that is a colossal accomplishment.

If using watercolor is the hardest to "make it" in the art world as the book claims, she's ce
Elisabeth Miller
I absolutly love Amy Brown - although her drawing aren't perfect, her imagination just captures you and the flaws are not important...
There is something in her faries that draws me inside them and I find myself staring at the pages... I even made a tatoo by one of her drawings - I like her drawings that much I guess :)
I gave a 4 because there are better artists, but grading isn't everything...
Cassie
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy artists
Recommended to Cassie by: Hot Topic
I bought this when I was going through a big Hot Topic phase in high school. At the time, I was hooked. I had the pens, I had the stationary, the works. But after looking through her books once the black eyeliner washed out of my eyes, I realized that her fairies all have the same face and body structure. Creative yes, but I think she ran out of inspiration halfway through her book.
Mckinley
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, art, fantasy
Fairly, goblins, etc. Can see why Charles deLint wrote the intro. If you enjoy his stories then take a look at her artwork. Lovely. Although it does get to be a bit overwhelming looking at this collection. And a tad repetitive. Can't decide on a favorite.
Mark Lacy
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arts-art
I like this artist's work. But I wish a few things: (1) she could paint eyes better, (2) she would paint feet differently. Some paintings reminded me of Michael Parkes, whom she acknowledges as an influence.
Mark Holman
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really treasure this book as a window to the world of imagination and wonder! Beautiful drawings and amazing detail in her first book! I feel inspired to create after looking at her artwork! Great to show to children and their friends. Very Beautiful and poetic!
  • Brian Froud’s World of Faerie
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • The Art of Faery
  • Parting The Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Fairies
  • ARh+
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom