Start by marking “Adjustment Team” as Want to Read:
Adjustment Team

Adjustment Team

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,927 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
This short story, The Adjustment Team, asks the question; Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? Ed Fletcher is a real estate agent with a normal life, until one day he leaves the house for work a few minutes later than he should have. He arrives at a terrifying, grey, ash world. Ed rushes home and tells his wife, Ruth, who goes back to the office wi ...more
Published (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Adjustment Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adjustment Team

Bill  Kerwin

“Adjustment Team”, first published in Orbit Science Fiction (Sept.-Oct. 1954), is perhaps my favorite Dick short story of all. (I vacillate between “Adjustment Team” and “The Father Thing.”) At any rate, it certainly has the Dickian quality I love most: the ability to permanently alter the way you perceive and judge the world around you.

The story sounds crazy even in summary, and, yes, it is certainly crazy. It tells of Ed Fletcher, a man whose life is altered forever early one morning because a
Tamara
Quick read, awesome premise but... the movie was better? Wow I never thought I'd say that one day.
Isabel
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, 2017
"You saw, and you should not have seen. (...) Like the others, you should have undergone changes".

Este conto foi motivo de inspiração para o filme "Adjustment bureau" (2011), de George Nolfi, com Matt Damon e Emily Blunt.
Foi daqui que partiu a minha curiosidade para ler esta narrativa. Há muitas diferenças. Mas apesar de tudo, são ambos muito bons!
Aldrin
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
A synopsis or a trailer for the new film titled The Adjustment Bureau reveals that Matt Damon plays David Norris, a US Senate candidate who serendipitously meets Elise Sallas, a ballerina played by Emily Blunt, and that together, following a plot complication or two, they go on the run from men in black suits and cool fedoras. The Adjustment Bureau, neither a synopsis or a trailer is likely to say, is actually based on Adjustment Team, a short story by renowned science fiction writer Philip K. D ...more
Kat  Hooper
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Brilliance Audio has recently put Philip K. Dick’s short story The Adjustment Team on audio and they sent me a copy. This is the story that the movie The Adjustment Bureau was based on (and the name of the audiobook is The Adjustment Bureau). The story is 57 minutes of tension and psychological terror as Ed Fletcher gets to work late and accidentally sees The Adjustment Team “adjusting” his office building and its occupants. Now, unadjusted Ed notices all
Peter Wolfley
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
PKD is a gold mine for fascinating plots and incredible movie premises. He doesn't flesh anything out in his writing. It's all very bare bones. That's probably what makes his work so wonderfully adaptable into films. He provides the brilliant premise and then it's up to the screen writer to do the rest.

I feel that if he had lived longer he could have elaborated on some of his most promising stories.
Dawn
Interesting premise but a short story wasn't enough to fully realize its potential.
Fadzai
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was determined to read this after having watched the movie, 'The adjustment bureau' and feeling dissatisfied by what I perceived to be the un- and under- explored themes which, if addressed, would have made the movie riveting and challenging.

The short story was very different to what I had expected, set as it is in a long-gone era of cold war tensions and sexist/chauvinistic attitudes towards women (wait, maybe the latter hasn't changed so much after all...but that's another debate). However,
SpookySoto
3.5/5

Very good short story. This's the story that inspired Matt Damon's movie The adjustment bureau . I really liked the movie and wanted to read this. The movie takes some things but is completely another story.

Phillip K Dick's writing is engaging and creative. If you don't know, many (a ton) of sci-fi movies are based or inspired on his works: Blade runner, total recall, minority report, next, paycheck, a scanner darkly, impostor, the man in the high castle, among others. He is an important f
Alina
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting idea, but the execution could have been better.
It was the inspiration for The Adjustment Bureau, which I also enjoyed and would see again.
Elena Busila
Too short..

Even though the story is very brief, it is quite mind-bending.
The idea that hidden manipulators controlling our lives is the main focus of the story.

The lack of free will and the existence of a Plan for every person or a global master Plan is unbearably poignant and there are multiple ways of interpreting and develop upon that idea: fate, destiny, religion, true love?

Who was adjusting the adjustment team and the Old Man?
Also, the talking dog - really?!

Our methods may seem strange and
Caroline
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Brian and Lisette
Recommended to Caroline by: Kuspa
Benjamin Duffy
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'd been meaning to start reading Philip K. Dick for a long time now, at least for the twenty-plus years since I realized that Blade Runner and Total Recall were based on books by the same guy. Two decades and probably three or four more Dick film adaptations later, including the excellent A Scanner Darkly, the decent Minority Report, and the mediocre The Adjustment Bureau, and I'm finally getting started.

This story, the basis for that last film, was rather disappointing. It just felt skeletal a
Luciana Darce
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Último conto do PKD! Vou ficar com saudades dele, gostei muito do estilo do autor, é o tipo de ficção científica que me agrada bastante (bem mais que aliens verdes de cabeça grande…).

Esse é talvez o terceiro conto de Realidades Adaptadas que lida com destino e abre questões sobre livre-arbítrio. Ela é mais bem-humorada que a adaptação com o Matt Damon , com uma figura divina que parece estar esperando a hora de marcar o cartão e sair pelo resto do dia. Um bocado irônico, do meu ponto de vista, e
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Although this short story, originally titled The Adjustment Team, was the basis for the film starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, it is very different from the movie. Overall, I really liked the short story but since it was a bit dated, I'd say I enjoyed the movie more.
Anurag Sahay
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read the version of this short story that was here: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Adjust...

This is the first Philip Dick story I've read - read it because I really liked the movie that was based on it (the Adjustment Bureau).

Since I saw the movie first, it's obvious that I'll compare the two, and my experience with the Adjustment Team was almost entirely based on the movie - the story has a great premise (which it shares with the movie), but the short length makes it difficult to be as engage
Arash Jamwal
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really small book.
Intriguing and fast-paced.
If you have watched the movie(The Adjustment Bureau) before reading this book, then you may not like this.
There is a slight difference between the characters(different profession and different relationships) as depicted in the movie. No conversation with God/Chairman/Highest Authority is depicted in the movie.
One more thing Mr. P.K. Dick. is regarded very high among the Science-Fiction reader,
Definitely among top 10 authors in Science-Fiction genre.
Ma
Bruno Barcellos
Conto que deu origem ao filme com Matt Damon. Do conto, o filme só pega a ideia central. Existe um destino traçado e "pessoas" responsáveis por fazer com que esse plano se concretize. Contudo, algo sai errado e o protagonista descobre esse segredo.

O conto é legal, tem uma certa insinuação de que tudo pode ser loucura do personagem. E para mim esse é o principal, senão único, ponto alto. De resto, o filme sabe trabalhar melhor a ideia e a trama como um todo.

Além disso, me incomodou o excesso de a
Ashley Smith
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Hmmm...

I'm not completely sure what to think here. I know that this is a short story and that it was only a basis for the movie, but it still doesn't feel quite complete to me. I still liked the story, just wish there was more.
Andy Hickman
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
“Adjustment Team” (1954)
Rift in reality! Ah, to be de-energized and adjusted. A mundane existence as a product of unseen manipulators. Story touches on themes of ethics, existentialism, and philosophy.***

* perspicacity = the quality of having a ready insight into things; shrewdness. (p133)
Seylene D
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
The movie adaptation is so cool; I love the movie better. The movie has the elements of the book, but its story line is more creative and captivating.
AlterEgo
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5 stars
Adric Rangel
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Una historia corta interesante.
Matusevich
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too short. Otherwise great.
Jeff Brateman
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, but dated!
Caio
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a great history and it deserved to be longer.
Deedra
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this short book.Al Kessel narrated it nicely.“I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.”
Kathleen
The story was fine, kind of interesting. Worth a listen while doing dishes, I guess. But has Philip K. Dick always been this much of a misogynist, and I just haven't read enough of him to notice?
Justin

• Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Pilgrimage to Earth
  • Return from Witch Mountain
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Houston, Houston, Do You Read?
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction
  • The Fifth Science Fiction Megapack  (Science Fiction Megapack, #5)
  • Black Amazon of Mars
  • Nuvele
  • Altered States
  • By His Bootstraps
  • Murder Unprompted
  • The Playground
  • The Big Trip Up Yonder by Kurt Vonnegut, Science Fiction, Literary
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“We found that human cultures pass through phases, each culture in its own time. As the culture ages and begins to lose its objectives, conflict arises within it between those who wish to cast it off and set up a new culture-pattern, and those who wish to retain the old with as little change as possible. "At this point, a great danger appears. The conflict within threatens to engulf the society in self-war, group against group. The vital traditions may be lost—not merely altered or reformed, but completely destroyed in this period of chaos and anarchy. We have found many such examples in the history of mankind. "It is necessary for this hatred within the culture to be directed outward, toward an external group, so that the culture itself may survive its crisis. War is the result. War, to a logical mind, is absurd. But in terms of human needs, it plays a vital role. And it will continue to until Man has grown up enough so that no hatred lies within him.” 1 likes