Start by marking “Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä” as Want to Read:
Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä

Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä (Pippi Långstrump #3)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  15,541 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
Tunnetko Peppi Pitkätossun? Hän on maailman vahvin, kiltein, hauskin ja rikkain tyttö. Peppi saa kokea monia jännittäviä seikkailuja yhdessä ystäviensä Tommin ja Annikan sekä Etelämeren Kurrekurredutsaaren lasten kanssa. Hait ja helmivorot joutuvat aikamoiseen pyöritykseen...
Published 1991 by WSOY (first published 1948)

My favourite bit is the song "Sjörövar-Fabbe" - though, as Gulla points out below, this isn't actually in the book, only the movie. It's about Pippi's great-grandfather, Fabbe, who despite being a fearsome pirate has a tendency to become seasick any time the waves get a little rough. Most Swedish three year olds can sing the refreshingly simple chorus: "Oj, oj-oj-oj, oj-oj-oj!" If you're curious, you can hear Drängarna singing it on Youtube.

I wondered how difficult it would be to convey to non-S
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Pippi is like reading Plato, but better because Socrates didn't have a monkey named Mr. Nilsson. The faux simpleton toys with the stiffs before devastating them with some Five-Point-Palm-Exploding-Heart Technique of logic.

"Now then," she said finally, "will you tell me how you spell 'seasick'?"
"I'll be glad to," said Pippi, "S-e-e-s-i-c-k."
Miss Rosenblom smiled - a sour smile. "Is that so?" she said. "The dictionary spells it differently."
"Then it was very lucky that you wanted to know h
Seale Ballenger
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was seven years old on my first visit to New York and FAO Schwartz, my parents told me that i could pick out one of whatever I wanted. I got this. BOOK NERD!
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: redheaded children, grown women who still wear patched frocks, little girls, feminists
i re-read all the pippi books every year, usually in the spring. just to keep in touch with my inner child, you know. this is the last of the original pippi books, in which pippi, tommy, & annika board captain longstocking's ship, the hoptoad, & set sail for the south seas cannibal island where he is king. hijinks ensue, such as pippi telling off a shark, protecting the island's pearls from robbers, & promising with tommy & annika to never grow up. i like this book, although i am ...more
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had gone with Pippi to the South Seas. It must have been really fun! I was Pippi for Halloween and I think that's what made me want to finish the series. I had already read book 1 and I kept putting off reading the rest. But being Pippi for Halloween inspired me to read the other 2 books. And I'm really glad I did because they're both funny. My favorite part was how Pippi always got away from the bad guys, sometimes by lying and sometimes by telling the truth. This made them confused ab ...more
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to my daughter, after reading the other two Pippi books. She hangs on every word and when one chapter ends, nearly salivates for the next. Each chapter is a nearly self-contained episode, and works quite well for bedtime stories. Inspired by her heroine, she's tried to sleep "upside down" with her feet on the pillow. Amusingly, my son (a bit older) pretends not to care, but hangs just around the corner whenever one of the books opens, clearly listening to all Pippi's adventures ...more
Cherie In the Dooryard
My kids love Pippi. They love how she does all the things they aren't supposed to do, she's a kind of transgressive fantasy. But she does it all with such a good heart; this little smart-alack is motivated by love, confidence, and a tremendous sense of humor. If you are looking for A++ girl role models that are still funny and fun to read, Pippi is the way to go.
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Too good. Re-read from my childhood years.
I enjoyed the first Pippi book. This had some fun moments and it didn't really draw me in the same way. It is strange Pippi would choose to live separate from her father. Pippi is a strong and fun character. I enjoy that about her. Maybe children would enjoy it more than an adult.
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This story didn't add much to the world or character of Pippi Longstocking.(view spoiler)

Although it was an enjoyable read hearing how Pippi tackles each situation and how
C Wharton
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to C by: Liz the Librarian (Hawarden Library)
Shelves: funny
It was so funny I spat my hot chocolate out when I was reading It.
I love Pippi, Mr Nelson and her horse.
And on the back of the book it says...
"Have you ever given a shark a good telling-off? Pippi has!"
"Do you know what a squeazle is? Pippi does!
"Can you carry your dad on your shoulders? Pippi can!"
Pippi can do anything!
I remember loving Pippi as a kid, but rereading the stories now with my 7 year old, I'm not nearly as enamoured with her. My daughter LOVES this book, though. She laughed out loud while reading it, which is very rare for her to do. I think she would give this book at least 4 stars, maybe 5. Maybe sometimes an adult perspective isn't the best one :).
Jun 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucuuu...menghibur, cocok kalo lagi suntuk..dan memang itu tujuan aku baca buku ini. Hanya saja, masih ada sisi kelabu dalam cerita Pippi ini, Pippi yang lucu, bengal,nakal dan selalu gembira hanya hidup sendiri di Pondok Serbaneka, kontras dengan segala kegembiraan yang selalu dibawanya.
Selah Pike
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final Pippi book isn't quite as charming as the first 2, but fun nonetheless.
Astrid Lindgren hat es geschafft! Nach drei Pippi-Teilen bin ich schließlich von ihr überzeugt wurden, dass ich die rothaarige Göre gern haben muss. Wie es Frau Settergren so schön ihren skeptischen Verwandten erklärt, warum sie ihre Kinder Pippi anvertraut: mag sie sich nicht fein benehmen - doch hat sie ein gutes Herz.
Besonders hervorheben, möchte ich das Weihnachtskapitel, in dem sich die Kinder über das gefürchtete Großwerden austauschen. Lindgren ist damit ein würdevoller wie brillanter Abs
Carmon   Simon
I loved this book as a child and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it to my 5 year old daughter ❤ ...more
"Irrepressible Nordic Pixie Takes Charge!"

This red-headed little rascal has charmed young readers all over the world with her high-spirited antics. Pippi Longstocking—only child of Capitan Longstocking—is a freckle-faced youngster whose flaming braids tick out from her head as if starched! This personable pixie heroine considers herself nearly perfect, as do most of the children she encounters.

Self-sufficient, undaunted and unflappable, Pippi amazes all comers with Her outlandish skills: the
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing
Fui totalmente surpreendida por este livrinho maravilhoso, que se revelou uma autêntica delícia de leitura. Não poucas vezes me provocou sorrisos e algumas gargalhadas, chegando também a comover-me.

Após a leitura desta magnífica obra de literatura infantil, fiquei sem dúvida uma admiradora desta autora que antes desconhecia. Que grande imaginação, criatividade e originalidade, na criação desta história brilhante e genial, e dos seus personagens. Se fiquei admiradora da autora, o mesmo se passou
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
In this installment, Pippi, Tommy, and Annika visit Pippi's father on Kurrekurredutt Island in the South Seas. Even though the location has changed, most of the chapters had a bit of that "more of the same" feel.

Pippi is as adventurous, optimistic, brave, selfless, and loyal as always. While on the island, Pippi faces down two sea-faring bandits who were up to no good, similar to the way in which she handled two would-be burglars in the first book.

One chapter that stands out to me takes place
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweden, tropical

I prefer the second book to this one, but it was alright. It didn't seem at all familiar to me, so I don't think I ever got around to reading this one even though I own it. It's slightly uncomfortable at times with the way they refer to the natives of the island... And Tommy can be quite the bully to his sister sometimes! Also, there's a girl called Moana. :)
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2015
Pippi Longstocking is a little girl who lives by herself in her house, Villa Villekulla. When her father sends a message for Pippi to come join him on his island, her and her friends, Tommy and Annika board the boat and join Pippi's father in the south seas. There, Pippi wrestles with sharks, Catches robbers, and play marbles with pearls. But Tommy and Annika want to be home for Christmas. Will they get back in time?

I picked up this book because I read the first two Pippi Longstocking books, and
Ann Moody
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read a "non-cannibal" translation by Gerry Bothmer. Another reviewer noted some potentially offensive language in a different translation. When we read the prior books in the series, I was not crazy about Pippi's dad being referred to as a "cannibal king" either. This version used either the terms "South Sea Islanders" or "Kurrekurredutts" to refer to the inhabitants of the island of the same name. Likewise, the native children she befriends were portrayed in a respectful manner, speaking in ...more
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Pippi doesn't grow up, as much as she grows more generous and insightful into her acts of kindness. Her mischief becomes more and more benevolent, less and less naughty.

In this installment, Pippi visits the island where her father is king. She takes Tommy and Annika so that they can recover from an illness. While they are there, she protects the native children from robbers, reigns in humility, and otherwise enjoys life in the South Seas. She tells Tommy and Annika that she may never return to V
Mar 21, 2011 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yasmin by: Y'all's Feud Made Me Want To Read It
Does it even count as read if I could only handle seventeen pages? (15 from the beginning, and then two of the last chapter--then I realized that I don't care how it ends.
The Prose = Awful
Pippi's Friends = It seems as if this is how readers are supposed to insert themselves into the story, because Annika and Tommy are so freaking bland that I had to look their names up again a minute after reading a portion of the book--it's like Bella Swan for kiddies. Except instead of "all gir
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading, kids
What a delightful story! Our entire family has enjoyed reading this one about a sassy little spark of a girl and her antics. My husband and I take turns reading books to our sons at night, and this has been the first book in memory where we both join on the other parents' night because we don't want to miss a chapter.

That said, I have to admit that I find myself doing a little clever censoring as I read this book to my 5- and almost-3- year-olds. There are isolated spots in the story that are r
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, for-kids
I'm not sure this book's portrayal of indigenous island peoples would stand up to an adult re-read (and my social activist standards) but I loved this book when I was young.

My aunt gave me this book as a kid. We are both red heads, and I remember her telling a story about how she dressed as Pippi for Halloween. She used pipe cleaners inside her braids to make them stand up like Pippi's. I also remember watching the movies on TV on the weekends. They must have been made in Scandinavia, because th
Mladen Trpčevski
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like most about this work is that it offers children from non-Scandinavian countries a view of a world without war, where children's perspective wins the battle against violent adults. It would have been a great alternative read to my generation in Serbia, since we went through all possible forms of violence (several wars included). I don't believe it will ever find its rightful place within mandatory school literature, since our authorities prefer violent nationalist trash, but one can a ...more
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: redhead
In this book, Pippi visits the island where her father, a cannibal king, rules. Her friends Tommy and Annika come with her and the three have fun together with the natives, having games such as seeing who can spit the farthest. Pippi climbs in a barrel and has Tommy push her off a cliff down a waterfall in it; of course, she isn't hurt, because she is the strongest human being alive. At the end, SPOILER, she and her friends all take a pill that will keep you young forever (kind of reminds me of ...more
Another Pippi Longstocking book that I read in English because the Swedish is so weirdly expensive over here. This is pretty good, though unfortunately not so much as the previous two books - the unfortunate racism, while pretty benign for the time, is a little uncomfortable to read now. Still, I love this raucous, lively, strong superhero of a girl who doesn't take nonsense from anyone, who dearly loves her friends and family, and who has not only a horse, but a monkey with the hilarious name o ...more
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: neices & nephews
I started reading this over the summer with my 8-year-old niece Izzy. I had to find out how it ended after she went home, and I can't wait to talk to her about the book.

It was a whimsical story about Pippi, her friends Annika and Tommy, and the peculiar way she sees the world. Very creative and fun, although the part where she goes to Kurrekurredutt Island to visit her father, its new king, was dated and colored by a colonialist imperative that tempered the enthusiasm I had had for the book. Ov
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
  • Findus and the Fox
  • When the Robbers Came to Cardamom Town
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Hans Christian Andersen Award
More about Astrid Lindgren...

Pippi Långstrump (3 books)
  • Pippi Longstocking

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99