Start by marking “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” as Want to Read:
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  300,878 Ratings  ·  19,031 Reviews
Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, please sign up.

Ariana The thing I liked about this book was that it wasn't laden with swearing and sex, like I feel most of these types of books are. There were a couple…moreThe thing I liked about this book was that it wasn't laden with swearing and sex, like I feel most of these types of books are. There were a couple references to sex: for a chapter she talks about one-night-stands, but she talks about how they're not for her and that the sexiest thing to her is feeling wanted by another person and that she doesn't think that's something that could be achieved after a few drinks. She also talks about her confusion over the word "hook-ups" and is confused about what that means and how its different for each person. I don't think there was a single swear word in the book which I was really happy about. I feel that a lot of comedians rely on using the f-word as often as they can in their writing and it just feels like a lame cop-out to me.
If you're interested in screening the passages about sex I was referring to, in the hard cover version it spans from pages 153-162. (less)
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonYes Please by Amy PoehlerAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
293 books — 1,239 voters
The Girl on the Train by Paula HawkinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionBig Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
Best Beach Reads 2015
1,762 books — 2,309 voters

More lists with this book...

Catie
Dec 13, 2011 Catie rated it liked it
Recommended to Catie by: Maggie
There’s a passage in this book in which Mindy Kaling laments that she will never be the kind of comedian who can get away with really raunchy humor or jokes about race. (She cites Sarah Silverman and Dave Chappelle as examples.) But, here is what she can get away with: writing a book chock-full of lists and stories all about how she’s basically (in her words) a “vain flake” and still coming across as a kind, intelligent woman and an excellent best friend.

I kind of wish that Mindy Kaling were my
Shannon Lee
Apr 06, 2012 Shannon Lee rated it did not like it
Audiobooks can be dangerous. During a recent road trip in which I listened to this audiobook, I had plenty of time to consider the pros and cons of vehicular suicide. Pro: I would be relieved of Mindy Kaling's screechy voice and vacuous musings forever. Con: I would never again be able to eat cheese. My instinct for survival prevailed. Barely. I suffered through this book in its entirety, so that I would be able to write a justifiably flaming review.

Ms. Kaling's book follows a painfully predicta
Jessi
 photo mindy3_zps495753ab.gif

I APPLAUD it and Endorse it!

I LOVED this book, Mindy is just a funny gal who is pretty in check with reality. I have trouble writing a review for a book I love. I feel I just wont do it justice. Mindy makes hilarious observations in numerous essays that fill this joy of a book. Instead of trying to articulate what this is and what I find funny I thought I would grab some random quotes as a recommendation.

QUOTES
“I’m the kind of person who would rather get my hopes up really high and watch them
Ariel
Jul 13, 2014 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly what it wanted to be. It felt like sitting in an LA coffee shop and chatting with Mindy for a few hours, hearing a bunch of funny anecdotes, and getting to know her a little better.

What did I like? I liked the conversational tone, the funny stories, the pictures, learning about her climb to becoming a comedy writer, some insightful moments, the emphasis on family, her love of comedy and creation, and her all round positive and "be a good person" attitude.

What didn't I like? The
Natalie
Dec 28, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it
I made the mistake of thinking I would read only one essay of this book before going to bed... I stayed up till 3am to finish the whole thing in one sitting. It's been so long since this has happened, especially going into it not even expecting to finish one essay. But Kaling has one of the most conversational, delightful and funniest voices in writing. It's nearly impossible to put down Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

description
This book was simply fun, and I unexpectedly learned a lot about various
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 07, 2016 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it
This was such a joy to listen to! I definitely recommend the audiobook.
traci
Nov 07, 2011 traci rated it liked it
mindy kaling - writer, star of the office - suffers from never having cancer or living in iran for any part of her life. which simply means this: it's hard to write a memoir that lasts more than 70 pages. so they call it a book of essays, which is fine, and she does a good job with most of them. but then she's only up to 150 pages and she's fucked. so she goes to her phone and flips through her photos and thinks, hey, i could just write about these, and other bullshit like it, to satisfy a respe ...more
V. Briceland
Nov 13, 2011 V. Briceland rated it really liked it
A quick warning about an otherwise good book: the last third of The Office writer Kaling's memoir is a scattershot, hit-or-miss affair. With short essays like "Why Do Men Put on Their Shoes So Slowly?" and "In Defense of Chest Hair", which graze their topics no more deeply than the titles suggest, Kaling almost sounds like she's half-heartedly trying out for the late and perpetually cranky Andy Rooney's vacated gig on 60 Minutes.

It's a shame, because the first two-thirds of Kaling's effort is an
Khadidja
Feb 06, 2016 Khadidja rated it really liked it
i love Mindy , i love comedy , i love laughing , i love reading , i love laughing while reading ! This Audiobook was totally worth my time :D she is amazing and funny , Especially her high school bullying stories. i love how she can make a terrible thing so funny.
Nicole
Jan 11, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Ok, I officially have a girl crush on Mindy Kaling. She is just so cool. I love the fact that she is completely honest about all her failings and even embraces them. This would definitely be the type of person I would want to be friends with. This book was extremely funny and a light, easy read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh. I especially loved her list for alternate titles to the book (The Girl with No Tattoo, Harry Potter Secret Book #8... hilarious).

By far m
Shayantani Das
Jan 03, 2012 Shayantani Das rated it it was ok
[image error]

AND ITS NOT MINDY KALING’S FAULT! OR AT LEAST NOT TOTALLY HER FAULT.

TV and I are not best friends. Sure, I own a TV, but it’s more like a piece of furniture in my living rooms. Hindi sitcoms are royally crappy and wildly unrealistic, news channels seem mostly concerned with celebrity gossip, even channels like Discovery and National Geography have been commercialized.

So basically, I and TV have had minimal interaction in the past years.

Anyway! Point is, as a result of the aforeme
Emer
“Sometimes teenage girls ask me for advice about what they should be doing if they want a career like mine one day. There are basically two ways to get where I am:
(1) learn a provocative dance and put it on YouTube;
(2) convince your parents to move to Orlando and homeschool you until you get cast on a kids’ show...

or do what I did, which is
(3) stay in school and be a respectful and hardworking wallflower, and go to an accredited non-online university.”

Ahhhh this book was EXACTLY what I was
Lisa
Jan 04, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Of all the books I've read in the past few months, this is the book that has me wondering several things. A) How did it get so much pre- and post-release publicity and b) why do so many people like it? No offense, but this book can't hold a candle to 'Bossypants'by Tina Fey, or 'Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea'By Ms. Handler or 'I know You Are, But What Am I' by Samantha Bee. Or any number of funny-memoir type books I've read. Which is weird, because I usually finish a book like this no mat ...more
Melki
Apr 19, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it
So, she was born the same month and year I graduated from high school, which technically makes her young enough to be my daughter...I STILL want to be Mindy's best pal!

I haven't a clue why I decided to read this book. Kaling's character on The Office drove me nuts, and though I enjoyed the few episodes of The Mindy Project that I saw, I am in no way a regular viewer. Probably the fact that I found it at the Goodwill Store for a buck had something to do with it.

But then again...

There's a little p
j
Nov 02, 2011 j rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, autobio, nbc
This book is best read on a day when you need some light, distracting entertainment, say like when you were up half the night because your infant daughter has a chest cold and then you were rushing around the house trying to find your keys because you were late for your appointment at the mechanic and then you realized they were actually locked inside the garage, which you can only open with that one key that is now inside the green car, which was a stupid place to leave it.

It can be read in abo
Margot
Nov 11, 2011 Margot rated it liked it
Shelves: autumn-2011
I'm not usually one to read celebrity biographies and/or memoirs, but come on—this is Mindy's book we're talking about here. OF COURSE I was going to read it.

I love how she goes from hilarious to serious and back to hilarious in a very smooth manner. She shamelessly shares her BlackBerry pics with us, tells us about her life before and during The Office (is Rainn Wilson really her frenemy?), and a lot more. Like my friend Meli said, this book was all over the place, which I absolutely think sep
Lucy
Nov 08, 2011 Lucy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
To quote the author: “This book will take you two days to read. Did you even see the cover? It’s mostly pink. If you’re reading this book every night for months, something is not right.”

Except it took about two and a half hours tops. It's a cute book and I recommend it to anyone whose pushing through to a book goal count for the year. It's not really a biography -- just little snapshots of an interesting life and the fortunate chances she's been given. Kaling is proud of all the work she put int
Donna Ho Shing
Dec 18, 2016 Donna Ho Shing rated it it was ok
I was suffering through this book, and swore it wouldn't get more than one star when a remarkable thing happened in the last 70 or so pages, Mindy Kaling stopped boring me to death about her struggles as a t.v. writer, her time on The Office etc. and started talking about herself, her views on life and started being totally relatable and hilarious. That is the Mindy Kaling I'm a fan of and that's how I'd expected the entire book to be.

So the whole book is divided into seven parts: the first fou
Rachel
Jun 19, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed out loud so many times!

As a person who has seen every episode of the office more than once (okay, fine, more than 5 times) I already think Mindy Kaling, writer and actor who plays character Kelly Kapoor, is really funny.

(I want to throw out a WARNING about this book, similar to what I did when I read and reviewed Tina Fey's Bossypants - If you already don't like Mindy Kaling, if you already don't like The Office, if you already hate female comedians, etc, you probably won't like this
Sophia
Nov 20, 2016 Sophia rated it liked it
i love mindy kaling. she's one of my favorite celebrities ever and one of my biggest sources of inspiration. and i liked this memoir. mindy has such a distinctly charming/narcissistic comedic voice that i adore and i'll probably read every book she ever comes out with. however, this one had a lot of chapters that felt like they were just there to fill space. when things weren't recollections or memories of life events, i felt myself losing interest.
Ammar
Apr 02, 2017 Ammar rated it liked it
I had greater expectations for this memoir or essays. It had a promising beginning, but I didn't learn anything from reading this book, it's funny in some parts but overall it was okay.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Quick confessional: 1. I am unequivocally in love with David Brent, therefore I have never cheated on him and watched even one episode of the American version of The Office. 2. The only thing I had ever seen Mindy Kaling in was that Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman movie that I can’t even remember the name of, but that I know I liked better when Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis were the stars.

That being said, I wanted to read a funny comedian book and have already been through Tina Fey, Kathy Gri
Thomas
Jan 26, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it
A light, humorous, and overall forgettable memoir about Mindy Kaling's upbringing and her success as an actress and television writer. The content ranges from her childhood as a self-proclaimed chubby kid to her feelings about romantic comedies. Kaling injects humor into even ordinary anecdotes, and I even laughed aloud a couple of times (e.g., when she writes that she went to Dartmouth to pursue her love of white people and North Face parkas).

Overall, recommended to fans of Kaling and to those
Liza
Nov 01, 2011 Liza rated it liked it
The moment I finish my literature review I am going to the bookstore to purchase this, because I need to read something that makes me laugh more than articles about amytrophic lateral sclerosis.

And no, I did not laugh while reading/writing about ALS. I'm not the worst person in the world.
Regan
Jul 14, 2014 Regan added it
Shelves: books-owned-read
I love Mindy, wish I got the audio book! Still super funny though
ayrdaomei
May 25, 2012 ayrdaomei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I picked up this audiobook, along with a couple others, to keep me company on a recent drive from Baltimore to Pittsburgh and back (4 hours each way). I am ashamed to admit I let early lukewarm critical reviews keep me from picking up a hard copy of Mindy's book, even though a few people I know had read it and enjoyed it. But, bygones! I don't know if I would have liked the book as much if I'd read it traditionally, but it was an excellent choice for a solo drive through Western Maryland and the ...more
Bookables Heather
Aug 25, 2012 Bookables Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, memoir
Love Mindy Kaling! I would advise you to get the audio book in lieu of the actual book because Mindy actually reads it herself & she is hilarious! Enough Said...
Fabian
Jan 09, 2014 Fabian rated it really liked it
I've been reading a few comedic autobiographies and I guess I'm probably justaboutnow a 'lil addicted to them ("Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin, "The Bedwetter" by Sarah Silverman...). This one by far is my favorite. It is contemporary and as refreshing as it is informative--and very, very amusing. To get the working comedic TV writer's POV is an absolute luxury. We are inspired by her avant-garde beginnings (she wrote a script about Matt Damon and Ben Affleck writing "Good Will"-- and played ...more
Amy | shoutame
I was so excited to read this one as I had had it on my wishlist for such a long time. Unfortunately I really didn't get along with the tone of this read and finished it feeling very disappointed.

I have only ever seen Mindy Kaling on the TV show 'The Mindy Project' so a lot of the people and things she was talking about in this book I had no idea about. It left me feeling a little bored and come the end I was really struggling to carry on.

I just don't think this was one for me, I expected the b
Susie
May 27, 2015 Susie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
I love these kinds of books. They feel like these wonderfully long rambling conversations with a long lost friend, especially since I went back and forth between the ebook and the audio book, read by Mindy Kaling herself. I don't ever expect some amazing literary masterpiece with these comedic celebrity memoirs, but they are just a joy to experience.
  • Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me
  • Girl Walks into a Bar . . .: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle
  • I Know I Am, But What Are You?
  • Jeneration X: One Reluctant Adult's Attempt to Unarrest Her Arrested Development; Or, Why It's  Never Too Late for Her Dumb Ass to Learn Why Froot Loops Are Not for Dinner
  • Happy Accidents: A Memoir
  • A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages
  • Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture
  • Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . . Not Necessarily In That Order
  • Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels
  • But Enough About Me: A Jersey Girl's Unlikely Adventures Among the Absurdly Famous
  • All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps
  • Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated
  • Didn't I Feed You Yesterday?: A Mother's Guide to Sanity in Stilettos
  • Bossypants
  • Pawnee: The Greatest Town in America
  • Confessions of a Latter-day Virgin: A Memoir
  • I Suck at Girls
  • Dan Gets a Minivan: Life at the Intersection of Dude and Dad
194416
Mindy Kaling is an actor, writer, producer, and director. She currently stars in the Hulu original comedy series “The Mindy Project," which she also writes and executive produces.

Before "The Mindy Project," Mindy was best known for her work on the critically acclaimed, Emmy Award-winning NBC show “The Office.” In addition to directing, producing, and portraying celebrity-obsessed Kelly Kapoor, M
More about Mindy Kaling...

“There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it.” 831 likes
“One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” 630 likes