Start by marking “Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition” as Want to Read:
Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition

Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The best stories of the year: here is a collection of the best science fiction prose written in 2006, by some of the genre's greatest authors, and selected by Rich Horton, a contributing reviewer to many of the field's most respected magazines.
Published November 30th 2010 by Wildside Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Fiction

Andrew
Feb 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the short story form. These were not the best short stories I ever read, but some were good. I liked The Cartesian Theater for its Theory of Mind aspects, though I didn't care for what felt like a disappointing resolution to the main action. Incarnation Day was fascinating. On the other hand, Exit Before saving did nothing for me, nor did Inclination. I think I liked A Billion Eves best of the bunch.
Matthew
Some brilliant stories in here, but enough bad ones to keep me from getting carried away with the rating. Me-Topia by Adam Roberts had some wonderfully poetic Neanderthals that made the whole story for me. Some of these, I'd read before. Inclination by William Shunn was set in a great universe and told a good tale. Jack Skillingstead impressed me once again with Life on the Preservation. The good stories make the book worth it.
Illyria
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A solid collection of hard SF that delves deeply into questions of existence and divinity. All the stories are strong, generously and rivetingly fleshed out, but I love, especially, Carolyn Ives Gilman "Okanoggan Falls" and Robert Reed's "A Billion Eves".

The typos are a bit annoying and I don't know why the publisher had to list Joe Haldeman and Michael Swanwick on the cover if none of their works are included in the anthology. Other than that, it's a hugely satisfying book.
David
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Like many anthologies, suffers from being a bit spotty in quality, but basically I enjoyed all of the stories. Some very good ones and a few ho hum. I like the variation of a fast paced idea developed over a short work, but sometimes wish there was more character development. Still I guess you cannot have it both ways!
Mugizi Rwebangira
Kind of meh, out of the 12 stories, I only found a few readable. By far my favorite was "A Billion Eves" by Robert Reed but I was able to at least finish "Me-Topia" by Adam Roberts and "The Cartesian Theatre" by Robert Charles Wilson.
Rebecca
This collection has a good variety, including some really strong stories. It would have been nice to see more gender parity in the authors.
Bill
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific collection of stories. There were only 2 that felt out of place but the beauty of an anthology is you can skip the parts you don't care for without disrupting any of the rest.
Danny
Several good short stories, and a few not so great. Editor Rich Horton saved the best for last.
Kevin
Jan 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinda what I expected...some stories were too short, some were too long. Some I didn't like, some I loved.
Amy
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Far and away, the best thing in this is Robert Reed's novella "A Billion Eves," which gets 4 stars. The group as a whole was much weaker.
Robert
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed. the Walter Jon WIlliams was interesting - and probably best (virtual children who become real at majorit).
Frank Taranto
A strong anthology with good stories.
Favorites were Okanoggan Falls by Carolyn Ives Gillman, except the ending didn't make any sense to me.
Exit Before Saving by Ruth Nestvoid
William
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An odd and uneven collection of stories.

Incarnation Day by Walter Jon Williams was my favorite story.
Fritz
Another anthology, but the entries are better than the Fantasy anthology entries
Deborah