Start by marking “Ohnivá” as Want to Read:
Ohnivá

Ohnivá

(Graceling Realm #2)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  168,839 ratings  ·  10,529 reviews
Prequel (pozn.druhá kniha odohrávajúca sa časovo ešte pred prvou) ku Výnimočnej sa odohráva naprieč horami smerom na východ siedmych kráľovstiev, v skalnatej, vojnou zničenej krajine nazývanej Dells. Žijú tam nádherné stvorenia nazývané príšery. Príšery majú podobu normálnych zvierat: horských levov, vážiek, rýb, koňov, ale ich srsť alebo perie sú väčšinou nádherne sfarben ...more
Published October 24th 2010 by Ediposs (first published October 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ohnivá, please sign up.
Veronica Hunter Elanie, this book is a prequel to Graceling. Some characters do show up in Graceling and I believe Bitterblue, but I haven't read them since them came…moreElanie, this book is a prequel to Graceling. Some characters do show up in Graceling and I believe Bitterblue, but I haven't read them since them came out. The author has said before it's not needed to read them order.

I hope you enjoy the series! This series is one of my favorites!(less)
Marlowe Not really. There's room to read the protagonist as bisexual, but there's also room to not. All her explicit romantic relationships in the book are wi…moreNot really. There's room to read the protagonist as bisexual, but there's also room to not. All her explicit romantic relationships in the book are with men.(less)

·  168,839 ratings  ·  10,529 reviews

Start your review of Ohnivá
Sasha Alsberg
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My head hurts from crying but other than that, so very good!! Loved this book!
Miranda Reads
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
She made a bad monster, and a worst human.
Fire's world is full of monsters. They are similar to regular animals only more beautiful and dangerous than any other creature.

Their pelts are mesmerizing - rich hues of midnight blues or forest greens or sunset oranges.

That combined with their nearly psychic powers allow for monsters entrance lure their prey to their untimely deaths.
It's hard to wake from a nightmare when the nightmare is real.
Fire is one of those monsters but she's far m
Annalisa
Feb 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you liked Graceling, you'll probably like this
Shelves: cover, fantasy
Granted, I went into this book annoyed with Cashore's anti-marriage, pro-casual-sex message in Graceling, but the book never got interesting enough to overcome those messages. Okay, I didn't finish it, but if 222 pages into it, I'm bored and nearly shaking with rage at Cashore for using a YA story as a thinly veiled piece of propaganda, I doubt the end of the book will redeem itself. This isn't even YA, it's adult high fantasy, but these days publishers market everything as YA, and so it's sold ...more
Tatiana
May 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2009, fantasy, 2012, 2020
Oh wow, me from 10 years ago loved to moralize! Do I care that teenagers and young people in their twenties sleep around and are in open relationships in this book? No. But I did get annoyed yet again that nobody was using birth control, when it was available in this world. And the number of illegitimate children was just ridiculous, from story-telling POV. Also, was there a point to Fire being on her period all the time? Some things were just overdone and over the top.

3.5 stars is where I stil
Melanie

1.) Graceling ★★★★

Trigger and Content Warnings: animal torture, animal abuse, animal death, murder, loss of a loved one, human torture, mention of rape, threat of reap, and talk of suicide.

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Buddy read with Lea! ❤
Caz (littlebookowl)
Well, this was a pleasant surprise! I really enjoyed Graceling back in the day, but it had been a few years since I read that so I wasn't sure what to expect... I was BLOWN AWAY!

I fell in love with the world with the monsters and politics, the characters, the romance - all of the relationships Fire has/develops in this book, actually.

Fantastic. Itching for a re-read already.
Tamora Pierce
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
Fire is a monster. Monsters in her homeland are creatures of brilliant colors, each with abilities, that feed on humans and animals (there are even monster insects!) and each other. They have a tremendous attraction for human beings, one of extreme passion which leads to murder, clutching, or attack, depending on the human, which is why Fire has led much of her life isolated in the house of her hated monster father, who died several years ago. Her only friends are Archer and his father.

And then
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
There is this big jerk of a kid that is an animal or monster torturer in the beginning of the book. Luckily, he's only in a little bit of the book toward the end. I wanted to be a giant to step on his sorry arse!

Moving on . . .

I have mixed feelings about this book so I'm just going to go with I liked it but didn't love it. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Let me put up my spoilers sign before I forget. Sigh. . . . .

So, I was thinking Archer was going to be my love interest in the book un
kari
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya
karen
fortunately, jenn awwww yeeaahhhh is literally half my size. go on - look at my shoulders - i am like a mighty moose to her delicate deer:

there is no way she can make good on that threat.

so i am just going to say it: i liked this book less than i liked graceling.

bring it, tiny creature.

and from a critical standpoint, there is nothing wrong with this book. it has a fine story arc, good character development, a good array of both descriptive and action sequences - i would say that the pacing is a
Daria
May 28, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horribles
So. Where do I begin?

Perhaps I should begin with my rating. One star seems harsh, truly, but goodreads describes that rating as, "Didn't like it." And that is an accurate description, for I simply didn't like the book.

Thus I'm sticking with one star.

And now for the book itself: I was hyped for the day I would actually get my hands on it and presumably storm through the whole thing in six hours, as I had done with Graceling. This anticipation was fueled by the raving reviews (on goodreads and e
Meagan Spooner
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Okay, I don't often write reviews, because as an author I always feel weird giving a critical opinion of other authors' work. I think it's because I sort of feel like other authors are my coworkers, all of us working and writing to make people fall in love with reading, so who am I to publicly say what is or isn't right?

But I can't help myself in this case. I feel rather as though I fell as inexplicably and inextricably under this book's spell as its characters fall under Fire's. I had no chanc
Elle (ellexamines)
4 stars. Fire is set in the Dells, a land beyond the borders of the Seven Kingdoms. The Dells have no gracelings, but plenty of colorful monsters. Fire is the last remaining human monster, renowned for beauty; she lives in fear of both others and of herself.

Cashore’s worldbuilding is incredible, with complex politics and an interesting narrative around discrimination and sexism. The political drama here, unfortunately, got a bit boring in places for me? Cashore’s books have always succeeded pri
Daiane
Boring. Predictable. Vague. Sooo bad and Sooo boring!

The only thing that I liked was the connection with the first book. However, even though we have the same world, we have such different characters!
We have a long and dark introduction. A little boy with a lot of power and little responsibilities showing how cruel he can be in his world. I thought it would be one of those books that play with your mind but it was basically just the introduction. Meh.
Then we get to the main heroine, Fire. She
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fire (Graceling Realm #2), Kristin Cashore

Fire is a fantasy novel by Kristin Cashore, a companion book to her debut novel, Graceling. It tells the story of a young monster in the shape of a human who is hated because of her difference and supernatural abilities.

In the land of the Dells, there are "monsters." Impossibly beautiful animals of unnatural colors, that can entrance people with their appearance and control them with their minds.

Lady Fire is the last human monster in existence. Her fat
Ashley Nuckles
Ok, SO...the only thing that I really liked about this book was the romance mostly because I’m a sucker for any sort of romance. Also Fire. Most everything else that I didn’t enjoy can just be drawn back to me liking Graceling way more (plus The Dells just doesn’t really compare for me place/worldbuilding-wise...not a personal fan) but I’m interested in book 3!
Heather
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Having read and loved Graceling, Fire by Kristin Cashore had a lot to live up to. I should have known that it would exceed my expectations and then some, quite possibly trumping its predecessor.

Fire is the last remaining human monster living in a war torn kingdom called the Dells. Once filled with beauty and wealth, the Dells have fallen into ruin by the hands of her monster father, Cansrel and his human conduit, King Nax. Though both have been dead for several years, the kingdom remains in a vu
Sandy
Brittany
4 stars!!!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟

“It was courage and strength, and something else too, as if he were standing with her, as if he’d taken her within himself, letting her rest her entire body for a moment on his backbone, her mind in his mind, her heart in the fire of his.”

When I first started to read Fire, I was confused because it did not fall in line with Graceling. It took place outside of the 7 kingdoms in a place called the Dells. There are no Gracelings in the land of the Dells. Though, there is magic
Kells Next Read
Me after reading this:
 photo mermaid 1_zpsr3dgg9ut.gif

This was so much better than Graceling. Is it even possible to love all the characters in a book. I laugh, cried, fell in love, fell out of love, hated, stop hating, became understanding and never wanted this wonderful read to end. I can't wait to receive my copy of Bitterblue tomorrow. As soon as I get it I'm going to start it.
Dannii Elle
I adore it when writers have so fully fleshed out their fantastical worlds that they are able to build a novel around an entire previously unseen section in an entirely new era!

This is the second installment in the Graceling series and, set a few decades before the events that occur in Graceling and sharing only one of the same characters, can almost be read as a standalone novel.

Upon finishing Graceling I immediately begun this with less than an hour's break in between and was initially disappo
Alyssa
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update (August 2017): Oh y'all. I never updated this with my latest collection pictures. Well... ya girl managed to find ARCs of Graceling, Fire, Bitterblue, Jane, Unlimited (purple), Jane, Unlimited (white)... and UK Bitterblue.

description

Aaaaaaaand I bought the lovely Italian version of Fire! Plus the Catalan version of Graceling. Gorgeous, right? Don't tell my wallet. D:

********

It has been YEARS since I read this book. I read it back in 2009 (or maybe early 2010?), before I was blogging, when I was a
edh
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of Graceling, this companion novel set over the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms will satisfy. The main narrative starring Fire (a half-human/half-monster young woman) is framed by the story of a particular young Graceling who has the ability to control others completely... you'll recognize the future King Leck immediately. Fire has a similar talent, but because of her monster blood she can actually sense what people are thinking rather than simply order them around. H ...more
Norah Una Sumner
2,5 stars

Strong female lead my ass.
“I don't want to love you if you're only going to die.”

description
“Roen snorted. "You two have the strangest relationship in the Dells."
Archer smiled slightly. "She won't consent to make it a marriage."
"I can't imagine what's stopping her. I don't suppose you've considered being less munificent with your love?"
"Would you marry me, Fire, if I slept in no one's bed but yours?"
He knew the answer to that, but it didn't hurt to remind him. "No, and I shoul
Steph Su
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, signed
When an author's second novel far surpasses her already critically acclaimed debut novel, you know there’s something special going on. Kristin Cashore is such an author, and FIRE is such a book. Not since Robin McKinley has an author written so convincingly of a politically charged fantasy world.

The protagonist, Fire, has the cursed gift of absolute beauty and attractiveness, and many times during the course of the book, she brings up the question, “How does gender factor into the reaction to be
Grace ᵔᴥᵔ
You can find my review of Fire on my blog too!

description
This was the most gorgeous romantic fantasy I’ve read in a while. And want to know what the last one was? — Graceling!! Kristin Cashore is just so good at writing these beautiful, deep relationships that stem from trust and acceptance.

It’s been 24 hours since I’ve read this book and I just. can’t. stop. thinking about it! How much these two characters cared for each other makes me so happy.

No insta-love here, folks. Just a beautifully slow progressio
Kayla
I hit the GODDAMN quote sharing limit AGAIN I just wanted to share all my feels...i wanted to continue on immediately with another book but I feel like I need a recovery period first to write a review and put all my thoughts together as coherently as possible.

Read my updated spoiler-free (there is a spoiler section, but it will be marked and it's all the way at the end) review for this book on my blog:

ORIGINAL REVIEW
Fire is what is called a "Monster" in t
Trina (Between Chapters)
I didn't know what the plot was for most of the book, but fortunately I adore Cashore's world and characters. The (few) parts about Leck's past were the most interesting to me. I have enjoyed in both Fire and Graceling how Cashore writes budding romance. I like her lead heroines. I like that she frequently mentions menstruation and includes disabilities.

Representation: One side character uses a wheelchair. Fire sustains an injury that temporarily disables her hands. Fire has depression at one p
Ellis
Content note: Yeah, I tried. Sorry. Incoherent rambling ahead. Seriously, this series has such an astonishing effect on me that the words just keep on coming. SOMEONE STAHP THEM.

I know I initially gave this four stars, but it's been a good seven hours since I finished Fire and I still have the feeling that I want to dive back into the world and experience it all over again. It's more than that. Not only am I plagued by something I can only call "book nostalgia", I've replayed the story a few tim

• Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes, #2)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Fire Study (Study, #3)
  • Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • Alanna: The First Adventure (Song of the Lioness, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
Kristin Cashore grew up in the northeast Pennsylvania countryside as the second of four daughters. She received a bachelor's degree from Williams College and a master's from the Center for the Study of Children's Literature at Simmons College. She currently lives in the Boston area. ...more

Graceling Realm (4 books)
  • Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
  • Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
  • Winterkeep (Graceling Realm, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Magic shows take a different form in Janella Angeles’ debut young adult novel,  Where Dreams Descend , the first book in the planned Kingdom of...
“Great! He has indigestion, so let's torture him with cake.” 541 likes
“It's not reasonable to love people who are only going to die," she said.
Nash thought about that for a moment, stroking Small's neck with great deliberation, as if the fate of the Dells depended on that smooth, careful movement.
"I have two responses to that," He said at last. "First, everyone is going to die. Second, love is stupid. It has nothing to do with reason. You love whomever you love. Against all reason I loved my father." He looked at her keenly. "Did you love yours?"
"Yes," she whispered.
He stroked Small's nose. "I love you," he said, "even knowing you'll never have me. And I love my brother, more than I ever realized before you came along. You can't help whom you love, Lady. Nor can you know what it's liable to cause you to do.”
453 likes