Start by marking “How Blue is my Valley: the real Provence” as Want to Read:
How Blue is my Valley: the real Provence

Read eBook

How Blue is my Valley: the real Provence

Humorous travel book about moving to France from IPPY and Global Ebook Award Winner Jean Gill
'Laugh out loud ... such a vivid picture of the fields of lavender, sunflowers and olive trees that you could almost be there with her.' - Living France Magazine

The true scents of Provence? Lavender, thyme and septic tank.

There are hundreds of interesting things you can do in a
Published March 20th 2008

To ask other readers questions about How Blue is my Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Blue is my Valley

Karen Charlton
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘How Blue is my Valley’ should have a sub-title: ‘And how Green and Soggy was the one I left behind.’
This book, Jean Gill’s honest, witty and charming account of how she, her man and a menagerie of pets left their rainy Welsh Valley and moved to the sunshine and lavender-scented countryside in Provence is delightful. I couldn’t stop smiling as she compared the well-disciplined flocks of French goats with the thuggish little bovids she encountered back in Wales. Jean picks up on every nuance of h
Jena Henry
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a look again at the cover of this book. Isn’t it a lovely, standout display? It drew me in and called to me to read this book. The title is similar to a popular Welsh book and film from 70 years ago, so I wondered if there would be a connection to Wales. Yes, there is. And the cover shows field of lavender, so I wondered if there would be a link to Provence, France. Yes, again.

Author Jean Gill writes about her move from Wales to Dieulefit, France. The town name means “God made it”, and it i
Ronald Mackay
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How Blue Is My Valley The Real Provence by Jean GillAfter finishing Jean Gill’s “How Blue is my Valley” I felt as though I’d just had a panoramic and refreshing conversation with an entertaining companion. You can’t have a conversation with a book? Of course you can! – All you have to do is nod enthusiastically so as to encourage the author.

With her wealth of experience, enquiring mind, broad knowledge and deep curiosity, Jean Gill never loses your attention as she ricochets between facets of an older life in Wales and a newer one in France. Bo
Jan
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the fact that this is about a work life in Wales and a retirement to France, it resonates well with moving from suburbs to a farm in rural Wisconsin. Or maybe Australia. Certainly the cultural differences and language learning and refining are quite specific and enjoyable to learn about in such a fun read, but learning to live rural does sound incredibly similar! Her sense of humor is contagious and delightful.
If, like me, you have no French nor Welsh and find the need to pronounce d
Tina
Feb 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too jumbled

The title states, "the real Provence", yet why did everything discuss Wales? The part about Provence, the resistance, etc. was very interesting. Wales, not so much. Why doesn't the author talk about the real Wales in one book and the real Provence in another? I skimmed the last 40% of the book and only read the parts about Provence.
Ann
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hard to follow during much of the narrative. Kind of written in a stream of consciousness. But, amid the convoluted passages are some lovely stories & descriptions of France.
Lonny
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unreadable. It reads like she collected a bunch of thoughts from scraps of paper and decided it was a book.
Ieva
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny and witty, good book. My only problem with it was the writing. Long sentences, too many brackets, which made one sentence into a full paragraph. Started to read a sentence and by the time I finished it I had no idea what it started with.
Asuka Mai
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book while i read it, its very interesting and funny, it makes me laugh many times , very entertaining!
Thanks to the author Jean Gill that has sent this book to me... i am so happy, she is very nice and kind ^^
Well i am so lucky that i won this book from Goodreads giveaway :D

This book tells about what like the experience ltransition from one country to another country, which must adapting the culture and the language that very different one..making an old house become a new
J.G. Harlond
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that transcends genre; it's as much a travel book as a personal memoir - as is the best travel writing, I suppose - thinking here of Bruce Chatwin. Gill sets out to entertain; her account of dealing with day-to-day household affairs in a new location and in a different language is very amusing. But there are also some poignant details and some beautiful descriptions of her valley in Provence. Anyone who has moved to a very different location to where one grew up or, in ...more
Kristin Gleeson
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely account of one person's experience of living in Wales and Provence where life can take on unexpected challenges and pleasures. Written in a very witty sort of stream of consciousness it is a memoir that I found totally absorbing and at times very funny. It's a book that gives the reader a real and vivid insight into the area and what it's like to upsticks and move to another country and culture. Highly recommended.
Rebekah
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a bit to get into this one for some reason (two or three chapters), but once I got used to the author's style, I thoroughly enjoyed her honesty, charm and witty humor.
Cathy
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gentle and funny read. I really enjoyed it and have passed it on to my sister to read.
Rachele Baker
Feb 02, 2014
Adrian Sturrock
Nov 25, 2017
mary l. ripnick
rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2017
Aug 15, 2015
Christine Crowell
Oct 10, 2018
Pamoliverio
I really couldn't finish this so called travel book that is more a stream of conscience than a narrative. The writer spent more time reminiscing about her life in Wales than her new one in France.
« previous 1 3 next »
Francophiles: **CLOSED **GIVEAWAY Audiobook of 'How Blue is My Valley' 10 8 Dec 26, 2015 09:18PM
The Writers' Netw...: Goodreads giveaway 1 11 Oct 05, 2013 11:16PM
  • The Book of Transformations
  • Third Willow
  • Scratching the Ghost: Poems
  • Desert Flower (Desert #2)
  • Mrs May
  • The O Manuscript: The Seer, The Magdalene, The Grail (The O Manuscript #1-3)
  • One Good Reason
  • From Tours to Paris (French Illusions Book 2)
  • Azlander - Puck in Hell: Second Nature
  • Allergic to Life: My Battle for Survival, Courage, and Hope
  • UltraViolence: A Love Story
  • The Harvest Festival (Fallen Oaks, #1)
  • The Little Book of Horse Quotes (Little Quote Books)
  • Dancing in the Fountain: How to Enjoy Living Abroad
  • Journey to a Dream (The Journey, #1)
  • Coaster
  • Black Sun, Red Moon: A Novel of Java (Black Sun, Red Moon, #1)
  • The Horror Show
Jean Gill is a Welsh writer and photographer living in the south of France with two scruffy dogs, a beehive named 'Endeavour', a Nikon D750 and a man. For many years, she taught English in Wales and was the first woman to be a secondary headteacher in Carmarthenshire. She is mother or stepmother to five children so life was hectic.

Publications are varied, including prize-winning poetry and novels,
“He is already giving me more advice. Never, never, never put your saucisson or your cheese in the fridge. I feel guilty. I have treated my produce cruelly. I blame my mother. Why didn’t she teach me this – and tell me important things like not to hold an orange pumpkin against a cream jumper when I was peeling it. She could have told me how to preserve kiwifruit rather than my virginity – far more useful.” 0 likes