Start by marking “Mandy” as Want to Read:
Mandy

Mandy

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  10,067 Ratings  ·  921 Reviews
The magic of finding a home Mandy, a ten-year-old orphan, dreams of a place to call her own. Escaping over the orphanage wall to explore the outside world, Mandy discovers a tiny deserted cottage in the woods. All through the spring, summer, and fall, Mandy works to make it truly hers. Sometimes she "borrows" things she needs from the orphanage. Sometimes, to guard her sec ...more
Published August 15th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 1971)

Emily
This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, and I JUST FIGURED OUT THAT IT WAS WRITTEN BY JULIE ANDREWS

Mimi
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: Dipika
As of ten minutes ago I finished this book by Julie Andrews. Even though I work in a book store I came across this title in a back door sort of way. A couple of months ago I was boasting to my friend that I have a really good success rate with finding books for customers when there is almost nothing to go on. Taking me up on the challenge she asked if I knew about this children's book...details: main character is Mandy and she has her own world beyond a big wall. It was fairly easy to find - the ...more
Terri Lynn
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give it 10 stars. This is one of the most warm, comforting, emotionally moving stories for kids and if you are smart to toss aside meaningless labels, for adults as well.

Mandy is 10 years old and something of a loner at the orphanage where she has lived most of her life. The Matron and staff are kind to the children and try to make a real home for them but Mandy longs for something more. She has a friend and room mate named Sue who she frustrates by wanting to be alone so much she
Lisa Vegan
I bought and read this book because I’m a huge Julie Andrews fan. I also love orphan stories; I’ve even designated a Goodreads shelf for orphan books. Anyway, this one really touched my heart and it’s a really well written and interesting story. Deserves to be a classic.
Hilary
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
Mandy lives in an orphanage. It is a nice place but Mandy longs for a place of her own. This book has a slow pace and lots of details of nature and the seasons. Mandy finds an abandoned cottage and makes it her own.

We liked this book but it was completely predictable. We would have enjoyed it more if the orphanage had been a horrible place to escape from, although there are plenty of stories along these lines we felt it would have added some excitement.

Part of the book I changed as I read alou
Marci
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Julie Andrews Edwards of Mary Poppins fame grew up to be an author. Who would have thought? This charming, lovely tale is very reminiscent of The Little Princess or The Secret Garden. Mandy, an orphan, one day peeks over the orphanage wall to discover a seemingly abandoned cottage and is soon embarking on an adventure that will enthrall readers young and old. Mandy, Ms. Andrews-Edwards 2nd novel, is a beautifully written, joyous story.
Jenne
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is anything more satisfying than reading about someone else doing a lot of tidying up?
Heidi
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heidi by: my mother

This book was one of my all time favorites as a kid. I loved the romance of finding a cottage, cleaning it up, and calling it my own. It affected me enough that I named my own daughter Amanda and she prefers "Mandy". I have an elderly friend that was a hoarder. When I was trying to sort through her stuff, I'd try to imagine I was living the story and just 'cleaning things up a bit', instead of the reality of being a hoarder's friend. Made things marginally better. I think this story should be ma
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I read this long ago as a child and decided it was high time for a reread as my memories of it are so fond. It is a sweet, heartfelt tale of a little orphan girl who is looking for a place of her own. But what she really wants (of course) is a family of her own. It captured my imagination as a child and delighted me as an adult. I really enjoyed reading this book again. :)
Treasa
Mandy, a ten-year-old orphan, has lived all her life in the large St. Martins Orphanage run by Matron Birdie. While she has many friends and is happy at the orphanage, she can't help but wonder what else is out there, especially what is over the stone wall at the back of the orphanage's orchard. Upon climbing the wall, Mandy discovers a cottage and a whole world that she makes her own.

What a beautiful book. I had read it years ago, when I was little, but hadn't read it since then. I came across
Jake N
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's one of the best books I've ever read. And it seems even more exciting because my mom already had read it to me once. It's about a little girl, 10 years old, like me - except she's an orphan - and she wants something of her own. She finds a little cottage in the woods and makes it her own but no one knows about it. At the end something very exciting happens, but I"m not going to tell you or it would ruin the story! - Margret age 10
Josiah
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you just wish would go on forever, amazing interesting story of a orphan girl, and a very happy ending. Would recommend to anyone!
Sara
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Not long ago, I went on a nostalgia kick, rereading favorite books from my younger years. Many of them still entertained and enchanted me despite my being now far older than their intended audience. Mandy, unfortunately, did not.

I think I may have gone just a little too young this time. The book has a sometimes-irritating “written for a child” tone to it. It’s not the age of the protagonist, exactly; Mandy is ten, but Maggie would have been about the same age (she was in fifth grade, so ten or e
Alex Lemmer
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book Mandy by Julien Andrews is a classic good book. It is about a girl Mandy, who lives in an orphanage. She is very lonely and has no friends. One day she was outside and saw a big brick wall and wanted to know what was behind it. Her curiosity got the best of her and she climbed over. A magical beautiful awasis of land was right in front of her. As the book goes on she continues to sneak off to the magical land. This experience changed Mandy as a person because when we first met her chara ...more
Lonna
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my absolute "favorite" books when I first began reading chapter books. Later on, in high school and maybe even the beginning of college (pre-Amazon) I searched everywhere for this book to re-read but it was out of print. This year, I finally received a copy as a Christmas present and am SO excited! <3
Rachel
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, favorites
This book is so warm and idealistic and lovely. When I was younger, I wanted a cottage just like Mandy's--I still do, actually, though I don't think I could put in the grueling effort of caring for it day after day like she did!

This story was one of my favorites as a child, one that makes you feel content and cozy and pleased. Always a pleasure to revisit.
Claire
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought that Mandy was okay but did not full fill my expectations as much as I thought it would
The author, Julie Edwards I believe acted in Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music and many other films. She was a great actor but not the best writer. Some people think they can do everything..................
Abby
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was okay :) More for 9-10 year olds though and a bit boring....
Amy
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kathryn (age 8) says this is the best book ever!
Koren
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We have been working through this as a read aloud for our family this summer. Every night we would read it, my kids would beg for another chapter. We really felt invested in Mandy and her well-being. There were also many moral questions (appropriate for my kids age, such as "was she right to lie"?) that made good additional talking points. I would highly recommend reading this as a family!
Vanessa
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this several times as a child. Saw it at the library and had to read it again. Such a wonderful story of an orphan making a home for herself in an abandoned cottage and the possibility of becoming part of a family. Please read. You will like it.
Julie Orr melvin
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a cute children's book. A little predictable, but very fun. I enjoyed it.
Emily V
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is an amazing story of adventure and joy as an orphan styles a home she found in the woods. I think this is a great choice to read and a great book!
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-classics
This may be my fav book
Cassiejoan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, fiction, own-it, ya
I bought this for my young daughter but I read it when I needed something quick and available to read. It was such a breath of fresh air. A story that I am sure E will love reading and delight in Mandy finding what her heart longs most for.
Margaux
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
Loved this in elementary school, hope to share with my daughter in a few years
Erica
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I think I read it at about 10 and it was one of the first young adult novels I completed. I remember being enchanted.
Ann
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 6th grade niece shared this book with me and said it was one of her favorites. I read it in one day and found myself tearing up--a really lovely story about a young orphan who discovers a secret cottage and sets out to make it her own. Great for 4th graders and up!
Becky
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: On the outskirts of a pretty country village called St. Martin's Green, there stand a large, white house called St. Martin's orphanage.

Premise/plot: Mandy, the heroine, is a ten year old orphan. Soon after the novel opens, Mandy climbs over the wall near the orphanage and discovers a hidden-away-in-the-woods cottage. She decides the place is hers--and goes about creating a special place inside-and-out where she belongs. She cleans. She gardens. She collects. But most of all: she
Monica
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
First of all.... I love me some Julie Andrews. (Edwards) Even though I can't get used to the Edwards part. Mary Poppins, the Sound of Music, these things changed my life. But you tricked me this time Ms. Andrews. I previously had read The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles and thought that I loved it but on reflection and seeing what Ms. Andrews was really trying to do here in Mandy. I may have to change my mind.

I read children's books to feel good, to get a moral to pass on to little ones, a
  • No Flying in the House
  • Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #1)
  • Baby Island
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
  • The Velvet Room
  • Peppermints in the Parlor
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • The Singing Tree
  • Star in the Storm
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • Jane-Emily
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi ...more
“Mandy tidied the weeds and pulled out some of the summer flowers. It saddened her to do so. She was parting with beloved friends.” 7 likes
“November came roaring in with gusty winds and more wet weather. Mandy's depression would not go away. Her garden seemed sad, too. It was virtually empty now, and the few brave flowers that remained there were flattened by rain, their yellows stalks sprawling in all directions. Most of the trees were bare, and the woods had a wet carpet of leaves.” 6 likes