Start by marking “Rome Antics” as Want to Read:
Rome Antics

Rome Antics

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A pigeon carrying an important message takes the reader on a unique tour through Rome. As we follow the path of this somewhat wayward bird, we discover that Rome is a place where past and present live side by side. It is a city that has been recycling itself for two thousand years, but unlike a museum, Rome displays its remarkable history without respect for chronology. A ...more
Published October 27th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rome Antics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rome Antics

Kristen Fort
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
Modern day Rome from a bird's eye view. Beautifully illustrated by Macaulay's black and white style, the bird gets a line of red color to follow her path in delivering a message.
Sweet on Books
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This unique book will inspire a love of architecture, travel and history. Each drawing is marked with the name of the building or area it represents, so that readers will know where the pigeon is flying. For readers who want additional information, the sights are described in more detail in the back of the book. The detailed drawings, done in black and white, offer an alluring peek into the city of Rome. The only color, a sweeping red line, zooms and swirls across the pages, revealing the flight ...more
Melissa
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting-more of a picture book about a pigeon flying around Rome...but might make an interesting references for a project on Rome. The last 4 pages describe the buildings in Rome and their significance.

"A pigeon carrying an important message takes the reader on a unique tour through Rome. As we follow the path of this somewhat wayward bird, we discover that Rome is a place where past and present live side by side. It is a city that has been recycling itself for two thousand year
Tammie Soccio
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cleverly told tale of a rebel pigeon who is carrying an important message through Rome. Macaulay shows the sights of Rome though the pigeon's perspective. Instead of taking the most direct route as most pigeons take, this one decides to the scenic route. The illustrations are hand drawn in black and white with just the pigeons route in red. Macauly shows the true Rome with two thousand year old sites meshing seamlessly with the new. At the end it is left to the reader to interpret the importan ...more
Bruce Nordstrom
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
To say, "I read this book," seems like an overstatement. Since there are about ten words per page, it didn't take long to "read." But I enjoyed this book, as it gives you a slow and wonderfully drawn tour of Rome, Italy through the eyes of a pigeon. You see famous building and forums in a most unique manner not seen in the National Geographic. Very nice. "read," once, then go back through and enjoy the pictures. Or let someone who is too little to read help you here.
Debbie
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Macaulay's early books when I was younger, so I picked up this one at my local library as I've never read it before. This was different from his books on how things are made. It's a pigeon flying through modern Rome, seeing the sights. Each building is marked with a name, so you can look in the back to see where it is on a map and then learn a little about the building or monument. Mildly entertaining, but I doubt I'll read it again.
Jessalyn King
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This was a really interesting take on Rome. Having recently visited it, I recognized a few of the buildings and piazzas, and learned a bit more about them (as well as some about places I didn't get to visit). I'm not sure what the age group intended for this book is... The story itself (the pigeon's eye view of Rome) is probably good for 2-6, but then the explanations at the back are much more 9-12... But it's good. I should get a copy as a Rome souvenir!
Yuki Shimmyo
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This random find at Strand Books brings back wonderful memories of visiting Rome! In the last pages are a hand-drawn map following the pigeon's path, with places of interest numbered. The history and significance of each is explained in a paragraph. Seems like a fun way to introduce this amazing city to young ones.
Garren
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This guy is a wizard of bringing the past to the present. Or showing off both together, in this case. I loved how some pages were from the bird's perspective (no red lines) and some were in third person (bird represented only by a red line). Gorgeous, funny stuff.

But what was with the guy apparently being killed by an explosion in an auto garage? Eeek!
Cindy D
Nov 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The story book, Rome Antics gives fictionist story to true facts about Rome. It represents its ancient structures of Rome and demonstrates the romanticizing of their culture. This book would be a great fun addition to the study of Rome. Fun book to read, nice for predicting next stop for the pigeon and last pages presents facts about the structures of Rome.
Elizabeth Meadows
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I can see how this book would delight children and adults alike if they had visited (or are going to visit) Rome. A homing pigeon serves as your tour guide of the ancient ruins within the hustle and bustle of modern Rome.
Michael
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Art is lovely. Story is very nicely written and leaves room for good inferencing. Only thing I didn't care for was the red stripe showing the pigeon's path. At first, I thought a kid had attacked the book with a highlighter. It'd be better without it.
Charity
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Lovely, precise drawings, as always with David Macaulay books. My children loved tracing the red pencil path of the homing pigeon, and asked for more details about the sights the pigeon passed. I was grateful that there were brief descriptions of the locations at the end of the book.
Amber
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, sy09-10
After finding City a little to daunting to undertake we decided on Rome Antics instead. Very fun, the kids loved the drawings and the bird's eye view.
Amy
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history-for-kids
re: Roman History.
Probably mostly a bit too subtle for B. unless you read all the info at the back (which we didn't) but still - such a unique perspective - worth a check out.
Melissa
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Follow a homing pigeon on a trip through Rome.
The last pages give a short synopsis of each place the pigeon shows us.
Julia
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks, italy
So so so so lovely! One of my favorite Italy books. And our pigeon friend flies right through the Palazzetto Cenci up into Macaulay's old room!
Patrick
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't liket this book as much of some of Macaulay's other books, but I think it will help get the kids excited about some of the stuff we will see in Rome.
Hilary
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Macaulay is so creative! I love all his books. This one is a view of Rome from a carrier pigeon's point-of-view. Very fun!
Ubalstecha
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Whimsical story of a pigeon's flight through modern Day Rome. Lacks the nerdy fun of his books like Castle and Cathedral.
Robin
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
happened to see this at the library and then at a used book store. I'm enchanted.
Kim
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pigeon's eye view of Rome. Amazing perspectives and detailed drawings.
Oskar
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great children's book, fun and imaginative enough for adults too.
Michael Fitzgerald
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Not as engaging as Macaulay's other books.
Atlantis
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This is a cute introduction to different types of Roman architecture. The artist's drawings are very well done and there are detailed explanations of each one at the end of the book. Great for kids.
Teri
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ancient-rome
Super creative story of a pigeon's scenic route through Rome. Wish we recognized more of the architecture. Very fun book!
Nancy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
we should get again before we go to Rome
Alex Konieczny
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best art of a picture book I've ever seen. Done completely in pen, it is amazing. Good way to pique interest in Italy's capital and the famous places therein as well.
Leia-Catherine
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was very clever, and sweat.
Amy
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-books
I enjoyed my reading journey with a messenger pigeon in this beautifully illustrated mix of non-fiction (historical places in Rome) with fiction (a pigeon's travels)!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Jabutí the Tortoise: A Trickster Tale from the Amazon
  • Beautiful Warrior: The Legend of the Nun's Kung Fu
  • Cleopatra
  • Who Were the Romans?
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • The Greek News
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be in Alexander the Great's Army!: Miles You'd Rather Not March
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be Cleopatra!: An Egyptian Ruler You'd Rather Not Be
  • Buddha
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Dragon Prince: A Chinese Beauty  the Beast Tale
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107
  • Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...