Start by marking “Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile

Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Mrs. Chicken has to think fast to outwit hungry Crocodile, who wants to eat her for dinner.

One morning Mrs. Chicken took her bath in a puddle.
“Cluck, cluck,” she said proudly. “What a pretty chicken I am!”

Mrs. Chicken can’t see her wings in the puddle, so she walks down to the river where she can admire all of herself. She doesn’t know that Crocodile is there, waiting for
Published May 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile

Ronyell
After reading so many African folktales, I just recently picked up a children’s book called “Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile,” which was a folktale that originated in Northeastern Liberia in Africa and was written by Won-Ldy Paye and Margaret H. Lippert along with illustrations by Julie Paschkis. This book has also earned the Charlotte Zolotow Honor Book Award and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised at this book’s witty premise!

When Mrs. Chicken is captured by a hungry crocodile,
Misslakerria
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WHERE DO I BEGIN?! I chose Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile originally for its relatively low fantasy content— a talking chicken and crocodile; however, I later found out that it is indeed a Liberian folktale story. I thought that the title was quite interesting because I didn’t think that either animal would ever come in contact with each other. Boy was I wrong!

The award winning— Charlotte Zolotow Award— Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile by Paye, Lippert and Paschkis is about Mrs. Ch
Savanah
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading Level: 1.5 (Lexile:290L)
Interest Level: K-2
Genre: Folktale/Traditional Literature
Main Characters: Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile
Setting: A river
POV: Mrs. Chicken

This picture book starts off with Mrs. chicken wanting a bigger area to see herself than the reflection she is provided in her little puddle. She goes down to the river but only sees a reflection of a green crocodile. When the crocodile leaps out and catches her foot, she pleads with the hungry crocodile and says that he m
Naomi De Guzman
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: de-guzman-3-5
Mrs. Chicken and the Hungry Crocodile is a traditional story from the Dan people of Northeastern Liberia. This story begins with the main character, Mrs. Chicken, who is taking a bath in a puddle. She then goes off to the river so that she can have a better reflection of herself. At the river she encounters a crocodile that takes her to her house to eventually eat her. Mrs. Chicken tries to buy time by convincing Mrs. Crocodile that they are sisters. After several days Mrs. Chicken swaps her egg ...more
Baylee Washburn
Mar 04, 2010 rated it liked it
The illustrator’s use of color stands out as an important visual element in this book. The illustrator effectively uses black or white as the background color in each illustration to reflect the mood and signal shifts of mood in the story. As the story begins, the reader is presented with bright illustrations that are set in front of a white background. As soon as an element of danger enters the story, the bright illustrations begin to take on a heavier feeling as the background color changes to ...more
Britteny Gilge
The author starts off the story by giving background information about where the story came from. It is a traditional story from the Dan people of northeastern Liberia in Africa. I thought it was interesting that the story started out with a white background and black text and then after the crocodile grabs Mrs. Chicken the background changes to black and the writing goes to write. This brought a whole different feeling to me as I read the book. It made the story more intense to read. Another st ...more
Johna Brown
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, genre, imagery
This is a fun fable about a witty, quick thinking chicken out smarting a hungry crocodile who has chosen her as prey. Young children are likely to be drawn to the illustrations within the book, but likely will not understand the use of the background as an indicator of the mood within that particular portion of the story. However, they would be able to differentiate between predator and prey and also understand why it is important to be a quick thinker when faced with challenges.
Kristy Walker
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dsc-kid-lit
This book was an excellent find! I loved this story because of the mystery and suspense. It is a fun story about a clever chicken outsmarting a hungry crocodile. The chicken comes up with a witty plan to convince the crocodile that she should not eat her because they are sisters; the children thought this idea was extremely funny. It is truly a great tale that I hope to add to my collection someday!
Michael
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a weird little book, but I do like how the chicken had to use her brains to solve her problem. I very much liked that the two protagonists were female, but I don't think this was necessarily progressive thinking on the part of the author. The solution to her problem hinges on the sex of the characters.
Dolores Colarosa
I had never read this book in storytime, but it was a great one to read! Crocodile is about to have chicken for her dinner when chicken gets away long enough to hatch up a plan to convince crocodile that they are sisters! The kids howled at the idea of a chicken and a crocodile being sisters and were relieved that the chicken wasn't eaten! An awesome read-aloud!
Rebecca
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another winning Liberian tale told by Wond-Ldy Paye. In this clever trickster tale, Mrs. Chicken's vanity gets her captured by Crocodile at the river, but while she's being fattened up in Crocodile's hut, Mrs. Chicken comes up with a creative trick to convince Crocodile that they are, in fact, sisters. And you can't eat your sister, right?
Rosalie Mahler
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a funny story. The chicken is crafty and escapes becoming a meal to a crocodile by devising a clever plan to trick the crocodile into think that her and the chicken are sisters. Overall, this book could be a good conversation starter for a conversation about bullying.
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mrs. Chicken's vanity gets her into trouble. While admiring herself in the reflection of the river, Crocodile captures her and plans to eat her up. Mrs. Chicken is clever and finds a way out of the bind. She learns her lesson and we have some laughs.

From the Dan people of Liberia.
Michelle Brandstetter
EL Skills - Print motivation, vocabulary, phonological awareness & narrative skills. Activities - Read, talk, & laugh. This is a wonderful book about using your brain to outsmart someone bigger and scarier than you.
Kirsten
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, librarians, storytellers, children
This is an excellent rendition of a folktale from Liberia. The pictures are simple, bright, and beautiful, and the story is very funny and makes for a great storytime. The more body language you work into the telling, the better!
Katharine
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We love these authors. The stories are perfect read alouds, instantly memorizable, almost like a fairy tale you've always known (like the Three Bears). Easy to recall and tell aloud again later.
Paula
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A retelling of a Liberian story. Mrs. Chicken is to smart to be eaten by the crocodile and ends up switching her eggs to show that a chicken and a crocodile are quit the same.
Jessica
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-c-k
Kambree's current favorite book!
Gary
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytelling
Smart chicken. The kids didn't really get what she was trying to do though.
Jenny
Oct 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
My son really liked this and I thought it was cute. I could read it to him more than three times without getting sick of it, but I don't know if it could stand 30 times.
Natalie VanDusen
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a funny story! Great read aloud.
Finny
Mommy says: See what clever Mrs. Chicken does to keep crocodile from eating her.
Mrs Bond
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Author shares a traditional story from his childhood (Dan people, Liberia, Africa). Mrs. Chicken outsmarts the hungry crocodile.
Barbara
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PreSchool - Gr 2
Another by Won Ldy-Paye! These are great Liberian folktale and I love the art, especially Head, Body, Legs. Worked well for Storytime.
Erica Hendrickson
Folktale from Liberia. Appealing story and illustrations.
Rachel
Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Charlotte LOVES this book ... though she always gets a little concerned when Crocodile snaps Mrs. Chicken up by the leg. Great illustrations.
Sharlet Mullen
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a must read book. the chicken and crocodile become best friends in a very unusual way but crafty chicken he is.
Ellie Dietzen
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Has great illustrations and is a fun book for children. The chicken a very sneaky and the children can easily catch in to what the crocodile is falling for.
Nancy Coston