Start by marking “Broetry Poetry for Dudes” as Want to Read:
Broetry Poetry for Dudes

Broetry Poetry for Dudes

As contemporary poets sing the glories of birds, birch trees, and menstruation, regular guys are left scratching their heads. Who can speak for Everyman? Who will articulate his love for Xbox 360, for Mama Celeste's frozen pizza, for the cinematic oeuvre of Bruce Willis?

Enter Broetry--a stunning debut from a dazzling new literary voice. "Broet Laureate" Brian McGackin goe
Published November 9th 2011 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Broetry Poetry for Dudes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broetry Poetry for Dudes

Start your review of Broetry Poetry for Dudes
Kat
May 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2018
what a HUGE bummer. first of all, let me acknowledge that i'm going to write an unnecessarily long review about this one because of my tendency to take things that don't matter WAY too seriously.

ok first of all, i must say that i did get something out of this collection. i was starting to worry about "goodreads ratings inflation" given that i did not give a single one-star rating all of last year, but now i feel more affirmed in my belief that by this point in my life, i know what i like and i t
Jack Rousseau
Jun 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Embarrassingly bad. One need only read the poem on the cover to know how bad it is. If not, the description confirms how bad it is.

"As contemporary poets sing the glories of birds, birch trees, and menstruation..."

"And menstruation"? Is this supposed to be funny? (That's a rhetorical question. I know it's supposed to be funny. Just like the rest of the book is supposed to be funny.) Personally, I don't find misogyny particularly funny. Why should the success of this book come at the expense of f
Scott
In a way
it reminds me of
Charles Bukowski's poetry
which probably says more
about how little poetry I read
than anything else.

But is it art?
You'll have to decide that
but if it isn't,

all the reasons
that I read.
M.J. Ryder
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Broetry: a book of poetry, but for ‘bros’.

Penned by ‘voice of the Everyman’ Brian McGackin, Broetry is an attempt to reinterpret what McGackin considers to be an effete, rapidly-shrinking form of literature with ‘little popularity’. It is an attempt to make poetry accessible to men, who according to McGackin, find poetry of little relevance in the modern-day world.

Spurious assumptions aside (I will come to these later) the premise behind Broetry would seem to be quite a good one. Broetry takes u
Whitney
Nov 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
I can see how this book is clever, and it's certainly an interesting idea (Broetry = poetry for dudes). But I could not keep reading a book that constantly refers to women as "bitches." Why do some guys think that if a girl breaks up with you she's automatically a bitch? Also I just can't relate to all the beer-centric poems.
Angela Holtz
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it

The cover is so simplistic, you might miss it. No I like it, it's white, the title is the only color. On the front cover is a Broem and also on the back.

So, how is the poetry? What do I look like, a Rhodes scholar? It's fun, all of it is in good fun. I'm not a guy, and some references I didn't totally understand, but I laughed a lot!

He writes about past girlfriends, relationships, magic the game, the incredible debt of college and the inevitability of givi
Thom Dunn
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
BROETRY delivers everything it promises with maximum entertainment value. It's a so-stupid-it's-brilliant high concept that actually works incredibly well. The subject matter might be goofy, the concept might sound gimmicky, but McGackin's poetry stands out as pitch-perfect writing that constantly outshines itself.
Joanne
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't normally review poetry on this blog, and I try to keep it strictly YA, but when I heard about this book, I knew I had to review it. Poetry for the modern guy? It sounded hilarious! And as it starts through the teen years, I figured I could review it here. So I read it. And I loved it!

There are certain types of poetry that I really enjoy, but I'm the type of person who normally needs a translation to understand what is going on, which is half the reason Broetry appeals to me - poetry I ca
Lauren
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, funny
Just looking at the cover makes me laugh. And in a good way, I'm not mocking the book or anything. Broetry is funny, really funny. Some of the poems are really fabulous. Like, for instance, there's this poem titled, 'Ode to Taylor Swift'. It's about how the poet is in love with her, and how she's an angel, and it could have been very creepy, but the author makes it funny. And he quotes her lyrics, which I thought was hilarious.

Broetry is poetry in the mind of a guy. It's poems about drinking, ha
Sarah Clarke-Smith
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I am not the target for this book, but I couldn't help but pick it up. The cover reads:

I have finished

Forgive me
this girl came over
so sweet
and so hot

Doesn't that make you smile? (And remember your 20s...) The target audience for this book is males somewhere between mid 20s and 30 somethings. There are poems about women, drinking, love, trying to find a job and pop culture. I found it pretty hilarious and really entertaining
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
Well this one just didn't fit me at all. I only liked two of the poems included in this book.
"And You'll be Way Cooler in College" and "Part-Time Job Search" I felt they actually had a message to them that I could connect with and make some sense of. I can see how this book would appeal to men as it is mostly full of dating, drinking and sex poems. I think I was hoping to find more of an insight to a guy's brain but as usual lost interest very fast. I am going to pass this one on to friends and
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Why read: Received for review

What impressed me: I'm no poetry fan, but I could get through this book easily and managed to be mildly entertained for the most part.

What disappointed me: The novelty of McGackin's voice wears off about four poems in. If feels like it's supposed to be really funny, but completely misses the mark landing nearer unusual. Broetry proves poetry can be written for the masses, but it failed to strike a chord in me.

Recommended: Not really. It's only appeal is in its quirki
Sarah Rosenberger
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, humor
When I saw that the cover parodied good old William Carlos Williams, I thought it was a good sign. When I opened it up to find the first page was an homage to "Lying in a Hammock" that managed to stay true to the great bait-and-switch ending of the original, I got super excited. Unfortunately, Broetry got a lot more uneven from there, but thanks to several inspired moments, it ended up being a decently funny little book. Good for college kids, especially English majors.
Jane
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book as a joke and while some of it was what I expected some of it was really poignant and some of it made me sad and some of it made me laugh and some of it was shockingly well done. I don't even care that I probably looked like a total douche while reading it.
Luna Holmes
Heavy profanity, misogyny, objectification, and disagreeable perspectives exemplify this, I guess publication is appropriate. While it is instructive to learn more about an idea, perspective, or population through the thing's own words I'm not sure this is the best place to start.
Winnifred
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Goodreads giveaway.

LOL. Although I'm not a "dude", I actually understand some of this stuff!!
loved the references to harry potter :)
and the poem about taylor swift.
this guy is awesome!
Ryan
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-project
Sure its a little gimicky, but its fun and still true to forms.
Zoraida
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully witty journey of adolescence to modern (sort of) manhood.
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book knowing that I was not the target audience, knowing that the likelihood of me enjoying this book was small. However, I do enjoy it when people bring poetry to a different audience and with that in mind I decided to start reading. What I found was not enjoyable.

This book is supposed to be poetry for "Dudes" or "Bros" but I felt like over half of the poems showcased a view towards women that shouldn't be copied by others. What part of only seeing women as sexual objects is p
Johnathan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was curious about what kinds of poems could be considered bro-poems, and I was not disappointed with what I found.

Broetry is a collection of poems for bros. There are poems that talk about playing final fantasy, sports, picking up girls, and how a dog can be the greatest love in a life. Poems that were inspired by older more well known poems, and poems that seemed to be originals all on their own. This is a great book of poems and I love them so much.
Julio Biason
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ibooks, fun
Don't let the title fool you: It may sound like a book with bro-dude stuff, like women being bitches, the parties all nights to get bitches and so on, but there is none of this here.

It's more about life, about growing up, with some fun tones -- I specially recommend the one that describes a whole life in 3 or so pages using only movie titles.
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny. A bit juvenile in the humor.
Lyndsi
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Not for me but I can see why it is funny.
Noah Barnett
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picked it up for a dollar on humble bundle. Easy read. I liked the storm trooper poem, and the ones about Bruce Willis.
Jay Newman
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This guy is a genius. Makes poetry actually fun to read and he can put together a great lyric.
Annie Mcwilliams
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
sophomoric, female objectifying, some reworks of famous poems are just as good as the originals. concept is fun, subject just not my cup of tea.
Michael Romick
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Refreshing and quite unique! I first read this in 2011 or 2012 and was truly impressed.
raya (a little mango)
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, humor, quick-fun
If, say, I was the average college frat boy (I believe beer-binging, video gaming, girls, and sex go hand-in-hand with common frat-boy associations)—or even the 'common' dude or dudette—I might be more apt to relate to broetry. Or, in the very least, strangle my bro-bias long enough for it to temporarily check out, long enough for me to yank my brain out of snobville, and thus surrender what I appreciate about "regular poetry" (McGackin's phrase, not mine). I questioned if I am one of those peop ...more
Mishel Forte
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars!

I admit I can't quite remember the poetry lessons I had in school...and I'm definitely not a connoisseur in poetry (or literature, or writing, or anything actually...). I don't remember all the different type of poems or the technicalities of creative writing so take what you will from my review. Broetry is basically for the men in the world who don't like poetry... being a female who sometimes enjoyed (when I could understand it), if not always appreciated, poetry didn't
Juliet Wilson
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
'As contemporary poets sing the glories of birds, birch trees, and menstruation, regular guys are left scratching their heads. Who can speak for Everyman? Who will articulate his love for Xbox 360, fo Mama Celeste's frozen pizza, for the cinematic oeuvre of Bruce Willis?'

So begins the introduction to Broetry, a book that claims to offer poetry for dudes who don't like poetry. So there's an instant problem for me here, I'm not a dude and I love poetry. So for this review, I used the services of C
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Survive a Horror Movie (How to Survive)
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Love Poems for Married People
  • Best Bear Ever!: A Little Year of Liz Climo
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Very Bad Poetry
  • The Messiah Virus
  • I'm Just No Good at Rhyming: And Other Nonsense for Mischievous Kids and Immature Grown-Ups
  • Suture Self: A Book of Medical Cartoons by New Yorker Cartoonist Leo Cullum
  • The New Yorker Book of Teacher Cartoons
  • The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • StoryBranding: Creating Stand-Out Brands Through The Power of Story
  • Euphoria
  • The League of Regrettable Superheroes: Half-Baked Heroes from Comic Book History
  • City of Lies (Poison Wars, #1)
  • Shout
  • Ten Little Wizards (Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy)
Brian McGackin is the author of BROETRY: POETRY FOR DUDES (Quirk Books) and DEATH IN THE RICK (deathintherick.com). He has a BA from Emerson College in Something Completely Unrelated To His Life Right Now, and a Masters in Poetry from USC. He enjoys Guinness, comic books, and Bruce Willis movies.