Start by marking “Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)” as Want to Read:
Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)

Toot & Puddle

(Toot & Puddle )

When Puddle wakes up one morning, Toot is missing! Although Puddle usually prefers to stay home in Woodcock Pocket, his concern for his best friend prompts him to set off. Puddle takes a train and then a plane, and eventually finds himself in a far-away place. And who do you think he finds? Holly Hobbie's story of a friendship that extends to the top of the world will be w ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published September 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Toot & Puddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toot & Puddle

Start your review of Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
Roya
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Toot and Puddle live together in Woodcock Pocket. Puddle is reclusive and enjoys being left alone to his own devices. Toot is more outdoorsy and loves to travel. Toot decides to take his biggest trip yet and Puddle naturally stays home. This book is filled with illustrations. Half of the book features Puddle and his shenanigans at home, while the other half shows Toot and his travels along with a post card for each place he visits. I don't think I'll ever "grow out of" this book. Every time I re ...more
Stacy
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore the premise and message of this story (and subsequent titles in the collection). The first time I read this (and I've reread it many times) I completely identified with situation of these two adorable, loving friends.

The idea of two completely different friends loving each other despite their difference hit home for me. Coming from a life of friends and family who are content staying and living in one place and then myself needing to leave "home" and explore the world compelet
Brenda
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book about traveling
Shelves: picture-books
I had the pleasure of hearing this book read in a classroom and reading it myself. What a wonderful idea to have one pig traveling around the world while the other had just as equally fun adventures at home. This was also used wonderful as a writing/coloring activity in which each child decorated a postcard to send to someone else, just like the cards that Toot sent to Puddle in the story. It also provides for extensions in talking and showing different destinations on a globe. the illustrations ...more
Elsa K
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The “Toot and Puddle” books are some of my very favorite picture books. I have 4 small children, so I’ve read a lot of picture books over the years. We all love them. These are absolutely adorable!
Judy
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series epitomizes what it means to be a friend. In this story, Toot travels while Puddle stays home and they both enjoy themselves. In other words, friends can have different interests. I, of course, like the fact that Toot sends postcards to Puddle from each of his destinations.
Kaylynn Johnsen
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid
These two cute pigs are more alike than different. Toot likes to travel and have adventures and Puddle likes to stay home and have adventures.
Karl Orbell
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karl by: Roya
A little while ago, my friend Roya read me this book, a favourite of hers from her childhood.

This book is about two piggies, the eponymous Toot & Puddle. One piggy, Toot, he wants to see the world, travel, be an adventurous pig of action; the other piggy, Puddle, wants to be a coach potato and enjoy the luxurious comforts of home. Alas, such divergence in a relationship can be a sign of the end, but Toot & Puddle are independent souls and they do what they want.

Toot under the sea

Toot sets off on a round-the-world
Dolly
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice little story about two friends; one loves to travel, the other loves to stay home. Both live life to the fullest and enjoy the splendors of the majestic world in which we live. It's a fantastic story to read with children and help explain how wonderful it is to explore the world, but that it's just as wonderful to be home.
The illustrations are terrific and tell the story almost on their own. We will look for more of these stories!
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-kids
Lovely illustrations, and sweet story. My girls (5 and nearly-3) both enjoyed reading it, and I enjoyed it, too. It is worth rereading and checking out from the library again, something that I do not allow for all books.
Connie T.
This is such a cute story of two best friends who happen to be little pigs. Toot loves adventure while Puddle prefers the comforts of home. When Toot decides to take a year to see the world, he sends monthly postcards home to Puddle. Each two-page spread compares Toot's adventure with Puddle's activities at home.
There are so many concepts here that could be expanded upon: different cultures of the world, how to make maple syrup, the wonders of mountain goats, variations in languages around the
CSCL Media Squad
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lisa
All kids from 1-92 will love these little pigs in turtlenecks! This incredible series boasts fabulous illustrations of the charming forest where these two chipper chaps live and share a friendship that reigns supreme. Each unique story teaches us that opposites can be complimentary, and that adventures can be had both near and far from home. All twelve books by Holly Hobbie in this series are definitely on my “someday when I’m a grandma” list of literary treasures to revisit!
Cheryl
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing actually wrong with the book, but imo it is a bit underdeveloped, and some of the later books are better as the author got to know her characters better.

My pet peeve about animals wearing shirts but no bottoms is present in some illustrations. In others, they do have complete costumes, and in others they are unabashedly naked. Hobbie is nothing if not whimsical.
Matthew
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Toot is a world traveler and Puddle is a homebody. Toot sends postcards to Puddle from his world travels while Puddle enjoys a more localized life. Neither one is unhappy with their decisions, but they are still very fond of each other. Honestly, it's an okay story, but I don't fully understand what sets it apart from so many books of its ilk. ...more
Cate
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely story about one pig that stays home and the other travels the world. Would be a lovely to discuss the different areas of the world with their respective climates for the children. They can explore different areas and possible combine it with the cross-curricular use of English and Geography.
Anthony
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Toot and Puddle are best friends. Toot has a lust to wander, and Puddle is a homebody. So as Toot travels the world, and Puddle enjoys the pleasures of being at home, their friendship is kept alive through postcards and memories until Toot returns home just in time for Christmas.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun book starring Toot and Puddle, cute little pigs who are also best friends. They’re both wishing for snow and the perfect gift to give to each other... but what could that gift be? Kids enjoyed it.

I didn’t count the words but it’s likely over 500 words.
Kristy
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birdiebook
The description for this book is wrong. Toot & Puddle are two little piggies who live together. Toot decides to go on a trip around the world and Puddle decides to enjoy adventures a little closer to home. Super cute.
Laurie
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite children’s books. 2 friends, one loves to travel, the other lives to stay home. Every other page is a postcard from Toot about his adventures in exotic places, wile the other pages are the enjoyment puddles experienxes at home.
Sandy
Toot and Puddle are best friends with very different interests. Toot want to travel the world, while Puddle enjoys the simpler life at home. This is a great story of friendship, individuality and offers adorable postcard glimpses into the larger world.
Natalie Malone
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book! Toot is an adventurer and Puddle is a homebody. They both go on their own adventures throughout the book. It's another book that I want to add to my child's personal library. ...more
Amy
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
This was cute. One child I read it to asked for it multiple times. A great story for learning about differences in people, and how each of those differences are special.
Clwseattle
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Toot and Puddle are charming and wonderful. I'm so glad I found the series! ...more
Željko Filipin
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A pig travels the world and sends postcards to a friend.
Kerstin Gunia
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down my favourite children’s book, whenever it catches my eye on my shelves it makes me smile.
Kelly
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Toot and Puddle are friends. Toot loves to travel. Puddle likes his adventures at home.
Staciel

As someone that loves travel, this one was a joy to read with my kids.
Jeani
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet!
Jiffy
Feb 27, 2020 added it
One of my favorite picture books of all time. And the illustrations are incredible.
Maeve
A story about individual adventures and everlasting friendships.

I wish I could give this 6 stars. Simple, sweet, and perfect.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Interrupting Chicken
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • Waiting
  • The Napping House
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Stuck
Birthed with the name of Denise Holly Ulinskas in 1944, Holly Hobbie first sold her distinctive artwork of the little cat-loving girl who carries herself in a rag dress and giant bonnet. It wasn’t until she married Douglas Hobbie in 1964 when she named her originally nameless character after her.
When the first images of the rag-clothed little girl came to the public’s consciousness, the character

Toot & Puddle (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Toot & Puddle: Puddle's ABC
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World