Start by marking “Be Who You Are” as Want to Read:
Be Who You Are

Be Who You Are

Nick was born in a boy's body, but has always felt like a girl inside. Nick's family supports him when he says he no longer wants to be called a boy or dress like a boy; "Always remember to be who you are Nick. Remember that we love you, and we are so proud of you." (p. 17). Nick's parents find a group for families like theirs. With their support, Nick expresses a desire t ...more
Published November 23rd 2010 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Be Who You Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Who You Are

Dorian
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars for writing a book about a trans kid that I can actually read to my class :D
I'm just sad it wasn't written by a trans person, and that it continues this 'wrong bodies' stereotype. all bodies are good and awesome, and if people need to change their bodies in any way it is almost always because society is telling them their bodies are not good enough. of course medical transitions are encouraged for everyone who needs and or wants to, but I just want to go away from the whole 'wrong body'
Molly Clemens
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Be Who You Are by Jennifer Carr portrays a controversial theme because this children’s book reflects on a nontraditional feeling a young child may experience. The main character Nick feels as if he was meant to be a girl. He looks in the mirror and hates that he is a guy. As Nick overcomes this issue his family reminds him that he is always be loved and they are so proud of him.
The overall theme of Be Who You Are is for all young readers to understand that these feeling of being confused or fee
Gem
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
'Be Who You Are' is the first in a series of children's books designed to educate children, siblings, parents, family, friends' caregivers, educators and the community about gender non-conforming kids. I thought it was simple and nice - simple wins to be honest. It didn't go into every intricate detail, but it's a kids book so it has to be necessarily simplified. It suited the audience and was easy to use.
Ben Truong
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Be Who You Are is a children's picture book written by Jennifer Carr and illustrated by Ben Rumback which focus on a transgender girl named Nick and her journey into becoming her true self as Hope. This book maps out the ups and downs of her journey and in the end – the journey never really ends, but at least Hope is herself and most importantly happy.

Carr's text is simplistic and flowed rather well. It was really poignant – the reader could feel the frustration and confusion with Nick's gender
Amber Cook
Be Who You Are is a realistic fiction children's book. Nick was born a boy, but he feels as though he is in the wrong body and should be a girl. Even though my text set is family and this book leans more on the self- awareness path. I still believe this book can be used for parents and teachers to teach about the understanding and importance for a trans- child to know they are not alone. The parents in the book are very supportive of Nick's decisions and when the teacher scolds Nick for drawing ...more
Kathleen O'Dell
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought that this book was very well-written and discussed issues that are real for those who go through these situation. If you look at Levels of Integration of Ethnic Content by James Banks, I believe that this would be more Level Three: The Transformation Approach. In the classroom, it would help begin critical thinking and discussion about gender identity. I do think that this topic could be discussed with students in elementary school grades, but maybe around 3rd to 5th grade age. It woul ...more
Gabriella Petrillo
"Be Who You Are" by Jennifer Carr was a story about a boy named who Nick who felt like he was a girl inside. His parents are very supportive about his views and tried to make others around him understand. Nick would always come home and put on the dresses that he liked to wear and be who he wanted. The only character throughout the book who didn't understand was the teacher who soon came around. I loved this story, it was able to show to kids who are confused and don't understand when they view ...more
Stacy Fetters
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
"Each day brings the chance for all of us to be who we are, to accept others for who they are and to make the world a more loving place for everyone."

I'm always one of those people who needs to learn more about a subject. To be supportive, an advocate, and someone somebody can come to to talk. Be side by side with people to fight for your rights.

This book is a great tool for kids who have questions. This shows them that we aren't all the same and if someone is different then we accept them an
Brooke Milone
When Nick looked into the mirror, his brain told him he was a girl. He was a boy, but wanted to be a girl. He liked girl clothes, and tried to do thins like them. In school, he wanted to go into the girls bathroom, but got in trouble. His parents knew what he wanted and were okay with it, and went and told his teachers and everyone else in the school what he wanted. They always told Nick, "Be who you are."
A Allen
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I am so thankfully to have trans resources like this available. I love how this book follows the main character as she explains how she is feeling to more and more people around her and people start to understand and accept her better.
Tracy
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit wordy for a 5 year old, but the book is wonderful other than that. Main character in story is mtf.
Kelly Robinson
Tonika
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the title of this story so I read it. This book is about a boy names Nick who always felt like he was a girl inside, so at school one day the teacher made the class draw a self portrait of themselves and of course Nick drew a picture of a girl in which the teacher didn't approve of this. I feel like the teacher was wrong because you can't disapprove of how someone feel about themselves. This book can be used in a classroom to teach children about not o ...more
Johnny Nguyen
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-identity
This story is about a boy named Nick who feels that he is a girl inside. One day when his class is assigned to draw a self-portrait of themselves, his teacher notices that he drew a picture of a girl and disapproves. The overall story of this book should be interesting to children and it should get them to consider things and ask questions. The language is respectful towards the transgender group with how the story is told. The illustrations are all right in my book for this one and the life of ...more
Jenni Frencham
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Be Who You Are, published by Bloomington's Author House, is a picture book depicting the life of a transgender girl. This book is an excellent way to introduce or explain the concept of transgenderism to young children, and also a great resource to remind transgender children that they are accepted and loved.
Marianna
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like this story because his(her) parents support her and are understanding of how she feels. They don't tell her that it i wrong to eel that way, but they accept the way he(she) chooses to dress and let him(her) grow out his(her) hair. I like that the parents love and accept their child for who he(she) is ans wants to be.
Nanci Booher
Be Who You Are is the story of Hope....a transgender girl. This is a great book (based on a true story) for anyone really...it is so much more than being transgender...it's about being true to yourself, the love and support of your family and acceptance....something everyone can learn from.
elisabeth
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, lgbt
a very quick read with lots of meaning that I'm glad is being shared with children :)
Crystal
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, lgbtqia
A very affirming book. It is simple and designed for younger children experiencing this themselves or to learn about this and understand others.
Emelda
It was a little over the 3 year old's head, but a good resource to have on hand, I think.
Geebowie
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book about a young trans girl.
Jonathon James
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-2-award
Great lesson for all children, all people really in this book. I would recommend this to any teacher in any setting. This would be an excellent book for a bullying presentation.
Naomi
Mar 20, 2017
Veronica Hernandez
Apr 04, 2018
Yinzadi
rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2018
  • King and King
  • Mini Mia and Her Darling Uncle
  • In Our Mothers' House
  • Kicked Out
  • Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present
  • Los Mejores Colores/Best Best Colors (Anti-Bias Books for Kids)
  • God Loves Hair