Start by marking “Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5” as Want to Read:
Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5

Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5

(Death Note: Black Edition #5)

Killer 2-for-1 value on hit thriller Death Note!

Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for audiences T+
Contains Volumes 9 and 10 of Death Note! Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and hes bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook
Published September 6th 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Death Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Note

Start your review of Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5
Caz (littlebookowl)
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
3.5/5 stars. The first half was worth 4/5, the second 3/5.
Chloe
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, 2019-reads
This series had SUCH a strong start but it's definitely starting to become too complex/convoluted. There is too much going on in my opinion and I don't care for a lot of the new characters. I'm definitely still enjoying the series and can't wait to see how it wraps up in the next volume, but it's just disappointing but I'm not loving the later volumes as much.
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
*3.5*

My least favourite one so far, but obviously it was still pretty good.
Amelia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: it-was-ok, 3-stars, manga
Definitely not my favourite volume in the manga series.
Mohammed Arabey
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very exciting suspenseful volume..
Light is in Tight circle now after L .... by M & N
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
A little slower than the previous installments but still amazing!
Lauren
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it

Hmmmm...I think I might be being stingy with the star rating here but ahhhhh, this series is becoming bloody convoluted!! *clutches head* I found myself re-reading several pages since I hadn't a clue what was going on at times :/ which has really started to affect my enjoyment of the series.

Just when you thought the plot couldn't possibly be any more intricate, Ohba adds a hundred other things in to the mix! No wonder my head feels like a goldfish bowl!

I'm also still not over my
Cori Reed
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This was definitely my least favourite volume, but come the ending I am eager to see how this series wraps up.
Teya Agnese
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
(CONTAINS SPOILERS)
I will begin my review by saying this book wasn't the best compared to the other volumes.

There were some slow parts but I felt that it gave me a better understanding of the story. Also, throughout volume 10 I felt as if I had read and been through that part already: Near is basically a mini L and suspects Light as being Kira, just as L did. He finds out what Light is doing and tries to provide evidence for his theories but is still unsure.

Near has similar traits to L such
Phee
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I wish people wouldnt hate on Near so much. I actually quite like him. Looking forward to reading the last part now. ...more
Giovanna
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
3.5

Not the best volume, but not the worst either. Mello and Near are interesting indeed, but they're not L. They do keep me on my toes, but I don't think that it was necessary to continue the story with them to be honest.
Aris
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5
My least favorite so far, took me far too long to read and I usually fly through these! However, it's still good, and I got sucked back in towards the end. I'm excited and nervous for the next and final edition!
Mel
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
These are getting better. But I'm starting to worry I'll be severely disappointed with the ending now.
Joseph O.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I think this is the point in the series where maybe it should have ended already.

Oh the plot is just as intricate as ever, it's just that it's been intricate for five volumes now and quite frankly I'm having a hard time following exactly what is going on, or why characters are doing what they're doing.

I'm still eager to see how the conflict between Light, Near and Mello resolves, and whether Light achieves his dream of a "perfect" world. I'm also enjoying how Light's complex position is making
Estela
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
As some people have previously noted this is the most boring and repetitive volume out of all.. Especially volume 11. But towards the end of volume 12 things are finally getting exciting and interesting.

Volume 11: 3.5
Volume 12: 4.25
Kristen
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
8.5/10
This was a really cool, solid volume. There was kinda a switch/ change that happened in volume 4, and that took a little while to adjust to that change, but now that I've adjusted to it, I really enjoy the direction that it's going now. Can't wait to see what happens in the final volume!
Amber
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
conflicted as to why this series was so long. I've felt unattached the last few volumes.
luisa❣️
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
A peace based upon murder and fear is not a real peace.

As much as I love these books I have to say that I definitely enjoyed the first ones more. But I really liked the new characters. It just bothers me a lot how the female characters are portrayed and treated in this story.
Garrett price
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not quite as fast paced as the last volume, but still very good. I cannot wait to finish this
Delaney Felix
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
2.5
Im not really invested anymore. I just need to know how it ends. Super bummed.
Caprice Rose
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I DONT WANT IT TO END
Maria
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
R.I.P. to Yagami: best dad, best policeman, all around good guy. 😔
Asiyah Amin
Idk. I'm really ready for this to be over lol do I want Light to win still? I think so...idk. PLEASE JUST END IT ALREADY lol 🤦♀ ...more
Ash
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read, manga, japanese
Volume 8 was a bit dull but the story again picked up in this volume. Vol 9 was better than vol 8 but volume 10 was great. We start seeing the good old Light In this volume. The new set of characters introduced in this volume were pretty good. I am too excited to see how this is all going to wrap up but at the same time I don't want this series to end.
Dane Cobain
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Im almost at the end now, and Im pleased to report that its picked back up a little bit and I enjoyed this one more than the last. Its still not quite as good as it was when it first started out, but its still good enough and its definitely worth reading, especially if youve made it this far.

I think part of the reason that I enjoyed this was that you could tell that we were getting near the end game and so the stakes felt a little higher. The authors have also shown by this point that they dont
Astrid
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
This series really should have ended when (view spoiler). Now they are just trying to drag things out.
Mello and Near are alright characters, but I feel like the story is just getting to far-fetched now, and is going a bit in circles. As well as the character development being basically non-existent at this point, is making it a bit boring. And the continuing sexism in this series, is getting seriously tiresome.

One of the really interesting things tho, is that
Sandra Miksa
I loved everything about this but I feel like we've stopped focusing on a certain characters... like Misa and Ryiuk; two of my favorite characters and that were there from the beginning, they just seem toss to the side which is understandable with all these new characters but I was hoping for them to act up at this point and go against Light for once. I still enjoyed this one and I am nervous to see how this wrap up and most importantly who wins; new L's or Light.
Ingrid
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Like: another interesting character is introduced and the story is still amazing!
Dislike: all the female characters are useless on their own and only there to be 'used'. All the cool and smart characters are male. By now it is clear that that was not just a coincidence in the previous mangas, the trend continues :(
▪️◾️▪️ Jenvile ▪️◾️▪️
Agree with the majority... the later volumes are okay, but it tapers down. Theres no cat-and-mouse chase that you fell in love with initially. Im excited for the end though because, I remember liking it. ...more
Illy
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. This was was definitely a bridge to get to the end. I am excited to see how it ends though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 3
  • Death Note: L, Change the WorLd
  • Bleach (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Death Note: Another Note - The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 2
  • Another Omnibus (Another - The Manga #1-4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 7
  • One Piece: East Blue 1-2-3, Vol. 1 (One Piece: Omnibus, #1)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 3 [Tokyo Guru 3] (Tokyo Ghoul, #3)
  • Naruto (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes Vols. 1, 2 & 3 (Naruto: Omnibus, #1)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 14 [Tokyo Guru 14] (Tokyo Ghoul, #14)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 9 [Tokyo Guru 9] (Tokyo Ghoul, #9)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 7 [Tokyo Guru 7] (Tokyo Ghoul, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 9
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 8 [Tokyo Guru 8] (Tokyo Ghoul, #8)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 5 [Tokyo Guru 5] (Tokyo Ghoul, #5)
  • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 6 [Tokyo Guru 6] (Tokyo Ghoul, #6)
Tsugumi Ōba (Profile in Japanese: 大場 つぐみ), born in Tokyo, Japan, is a writer best known for the manga Death Note. His/her real identity is a closely guarded secret. As stated by the profile placed at the beginning of each Death Note manga, Ōba collects teacups and develops manga plots while holding his knees on a chair, similar to a habit of L, one of the main characters of the series.

There is

Death Note: Black Edition (6 books)
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 1