Start by marking “Picasso & Lump: A Dachshund's Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Picasso & Lump: A Dachshund's Odyssey

Picasso & Lump: A Dachshund's Odyssey

The little-known story of Pablo Picasso and his lovable dog Lump, who is immortalized in many of Picasso's acclaimed works of art.
Published May 1st 2006 by Bulfinch Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Picasso & Lump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Picasso & Lump

Start your review of Picasso & Lump: A Dachshund's Odyssey
Kalliope
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, monographies

This is a love story, and it is graphic, and there is also some sex.

This is also a beautiful book and it is to be read while sipping something such as a “tisane” (and evoke memories), or a coffee, or a glass of wine, or may be even some Scotch.

Lump, the protagonist, accompanied by his caretaker and documentarian David Douglas Duncan, visits Picasso and Jacqueline in their beautiful house, La Californie, in Cannes.

The documentarian takes photos and photos, all in black and white, with his Leica,
Lane Wilkinson
Feb 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Yes, Pablo Picasso had a dachshund named Lump. The intimate photography that makes the bulk of this book is as much a testament to the humanity of Picasso as it is to the profound relationship between ourselves and our animal friends.
Sleepydrummer
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this adorable picture book from the Picasso Museum of Barcelona after viewing Picasso's 'Las Meninas' paintings. The white silhouette of a dog seemed conspicuously present in this series of 20 or so paintings. Curiosity lead me to David Douglas Duncan's book; in it he shares photographs of his friend Picasso, and the little dachshund who joined the Picasso menagerie at Villa La Californie. A kind-hearted portrait of Picasso and his ever-present pooch is unveiled.
Jose Santos
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, biografias
Um bonito álbum fotográfico com tudo para quem gosta de cães e especialmente para os donos de dachshunds.

Opinião em video no canal de Booktube
Marieke
I really enjoyed this, but i held back one star because some of the photographs were not as great as i thought they could have been. For example, there is what could be a really great picture of Lump in a large room with huge windows, but the lighting is such that Lump disappears into a lump...you cannot see his features at all. Instead, the photograph seems focused on the beautiful window behind him. Also, some of the writing was awkward, requiring me to read things twice. That said, this is a ...more
Joanne
Feb 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog Lovers!
I was given this little book as a birthday gift by a friend who knows me well - I love dogs, dachshunds in particular. This book is a photo essay of the relationship between Picasso and a dachshund called Lump. The dog belonged to an Italian photographer who was always on the road, and one day when he was visiting Picasso in the South of France, Lump, who was with him, decided he preferred Picasso's house and stayed! The photographer took the photos himself, and they capture Picasso's obvious af ...more
susie
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved the insider view of Picasso's incredible studio (complete with wild pigeons and doves coming and going freely as well as his pet goat Esmerelda who was literally tied to Esmerelda the sculpture of a goat. Lump was more of a supporting character than a star....OH LUMP. Lump is the perfect name for a dachshund.
Captions were fun and enlightening, this book is so short though!
Picasso and Lump died around the same time, which I thought was touching, sad, and sweet.
Marjorie
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I bought this book in the giftshop at the Art Museum in Houston, I was there for work. The museum had a special exhibit going on that featured dogs in art, so I went after work one day & wandered through it- it was a really neat exhibit. I never realized how many paintings, etc feature pets. Since we have a little doxie of our own, how could I not love this photo book about Picasso's own doxie Lump. It was interesting to see how he wound up in so many of Picasso's works. ...more
Christy
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
It doesn't read like a book; it's more of a pictorial history of Picasso's relationship with his dachshund. How could I not love this book? Sweet and memorable pictures of Picasso family life. For me, it made the artist seem less enigmatic and more human.
Mona Randall
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful peek into the private life of Pablo Picasso.
Lupine
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT PICASSO HAD A WIENER DOG?!? Sweet photos that tell the story of Picasso and Lumpito.
Kellie
As a dachshund lover, and as a fan of Picasso, I knew I needed to read this. Anyone that has had a dachshund knows that they are very stubborn and that they can easily get what they want if they're determined to get it. It comes as no surprise that Lump would decide La Californie was his new home and make it so. The fact that Picasso warmed up to Lump in a way he didn't with other dogs is proof of the power of a doxie. I really enjoyed the pictures and the peek into Picasso's personal life and h ...more
Jill Cordry
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite and intimate photographs and text by this friend and photographer of the artist. The story of how the author's dog left him for his subject and charmed the still hard working septuagenarian into a privileged relationship is beautifully documented in black and white photos. In addition to documenting the bond between Picasso and Lump, the reader is given a visual insight to the life and workings of the artist at home. Any dog lover will experience delight in Picasso's portrayal of Lump ...more
Beth Wood
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is mainly a series of photographs and commentary about the dachshund, Lump, that Picasso obtained from the photographer (Duncan). The photographs are charming, as are the pictures that Picasso painted in which Lump plays a part.

Picasso was a real enigma, and this book would be interesting to anyone looking to see the human side of this artist who thought so differently from most of us. I was especially entranced by the goat who lived in the hallway inside the villa.
Rhonda
Dec 14, 2014 added it
Shelves: favorites
ah...two of my favorite things, picasso and dachshunds, love this book
Sansan Gilbreath
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This was particularly meaningful to me as I just saw several of those paintings and photographs at the Picasso museum in Barcelona
Liz Dohogne
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Not much to read, mainly just pictures of his beloved Dachshund Lump & goats ;) ...more
Judith
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers, dog lovers, art lovers
Duotone photographs of Picasso and the charming Lump, and the inclusion of Lump in several of his paintings, make this one a nice afternoon treat.
Kitty with Curls
SO CUTE. Also the perfect complement to Ariana Huffington's idiotic Picasso bio. As coffee-table books go, this one is tops.
Julie Holmes
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and intimate collection of photographs giving an incite into Picasso's life and love for this rather cheeky pup.
Well, I like Picasso, and I like dachshunds, and I like photographs. So this book was accordingly pleasing.
Lesley Looper
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
What an intriguing side of Picasso! I really like daschunds AND photography, too, so this was a neat book to see!
Johanna
Mar 19, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Ark
  • Summer Frost
  • Een Idea verschijnt (De moord op Commendatore, #1)
  • Faeries
  • Canine Confidential: Why Dogs Do What They Do
  • An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration From The Private Sketchbooks Of Artists, Illustrators And Designers
  • Wild Justice: The Moral Lives of Animals
  • La psicologia del cane:  stress, ansia, aggressività...
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter
  • Emergency Skin
  • Randomize
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Turner's Apprentice: The Essential Manual for Watercolor Success
  • On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction
  • Breaking the Rules of Watercolour
  • Mile Marker Zero
  • Charles Reid's Watercolor Secrets: An Intimate Look at the Discoveries from a Lifetime of Painting