Start by marking “Quality Is Free” as Want to Read:
Quality Is Free

Quality Is Free

Do things right in the first place, and you won't have to pay to fix them or do them over. Whether you manage a large plant or run your own small business, applying this simple principle of quality control will boost your profits and your career. "Quality Is Free" sets forth easy-to-implement programs, using actual case histories to demonstrate just how well quality ...more
Published January 2nd 1980 by Signet (first published December 28th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Quality Is Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quality Is Free

Start your review of Quality Is Free
Sheryl
Nov 28, 2011 added it
I have known Philip Crosby, the world's renowned quality guru, seven years ago when I was handling Quality Consciousness, Habits and Processes subject. Looking back, I really admire this brilliant person for he gave me an idea what quality is all about, how to measure it, and why it is importance to uphold it in an organization. It was my first time to handle a Quality Control subject, but I really enjoyed it for I have learned a lot from Philip Crosby.

Doing things right the first time adds
Ed Selkow
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Learned about this book the hard way. I was contracted to clean the offices of the foremost authority on quality control. Didn't only read the book but worked for the author's company and it changed my professional life.
Reuel
Mar 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Total Quality Management (TQM) book.
Brian
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quality is conformance to requirements. In this way, quality can be “free” - do the job right the first time around, or cause the requirements or tools to be changed if they are preventing you from doing it right. In this way, Zero Defects can be achieved.

Very good read, but I’m not sure how well it translates outside of manufacturing - the software world is not like a production line: requirements are fuzzy, the designers are also the builders, and defects often arise from emergent complexity.
Andrecrabtree
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I've encountered most of this material in other books that came after: Deming, TOC, Lean, etc.
What I can't reconcile is the "do it right the first time" conformance approach to quality with the approaches that have come later: devops, TMS, etc. While they shoot for zero defects they (in particular Deming) realize that there is inherent variability in the system that prevent achieving literally ZD.
Mat Rueter
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It isn't what you find, it's what you do about what you find.
Abdulla Najim
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
The cost of quality is the price of non conformance
Og Maciel
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Though this book was written in the late 1970s, its ideas and concepts are very much still valid and worth of your time. Whoever said that quality should only happen at the end of a process, be that in manufacturing, software development or in your private life, needs to get themselves up to speed. Quality IS free and should be part of every single phase! Gave it ...more
Matt Belcroft
I learned a few things about the definition of quality but I can't say that I was very moved by the book. I don't see my self in a position to influence quality control programs at my work so it really wasn't very interesting to read.
Ed Selkow
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for every company owner.
Ron
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quality
It is ALWAYS cheaper to do it right than to do it wrong over and over. Quality that is built in verses tested out will be FREE.
carl  theaker
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Corporate America 1990s required reading for all levels. It has some good insights.
Ssuffex
Apr 22, 2016 is currently reading it
ccxc
Ida
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
great
Brittany
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
A lot of repetition helps Crosby get the point across. I read this for the advanced topics in project management class at FSU. Not a bad read altogether and the concept makes perfect sense.
Steven
Jun 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nomad (Marc Dane #1)
  • The Heat of the Moment: Life and Death Decision-Making From a Firefighter
  • Learning From the Octopus: How Secrets from Nature Can Help Us Fight Terrorist Attacks, Natural Disasters, and Disease
  • Great Train Robbery Confidential: The Cop and the Robber Follow New Lines of Enquiry
  • Predictable Surprises: The Disasters You Should Have Seen Coming, and How to Prevent Them
  • Velocity: Combining Lean, Six Sigma and the Theory of Constraints to Achieve Breakthrough Performance - A Business Novel
  • Out of the Crisis
  • The New Economics for Industry, Government, Education
  • Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction
  • The Origin of Species
  • The Merchant of Venice
  • Stack Silver Get Gold - How to Buy Gold and Silver Bullion without Getting Ripped Off!
  • The Art of Quiet Influence: Timeless Wisdom for Leading without Authority
  • On Anger
  • How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius
  • The Reality Bubble: Blind Spots, Hidden Truths, and the Dangerous Illusions That Shape Our World
  • Late Bloomers: The Power of Patience in a World Obsessed with Early Achievement
  • Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »