Start by marking “The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)

The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  2,033 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. In The Warrior, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Caleb, a man whose faith and zeal for God helped lead God's people into the Promised Land. Discover a man full of passion, humility, and faith; a man who encouraged Joshua and stood strong in the face of sin. The Warrior also inclu ...more
Published January 28th 2006 by Tyndale House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior

Kim
Aug 10, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the details of a story I had previously read before, in a different light and from a different standpoint. The reality of the daily struggle of sin was depicted so well in the story of Caleb, and how a person with integrity and so many characteristics I admire, fought this struggle to not let sin take control.

"Sin crouches at the entrance of my heart waiting to devour me. I must fight against it. Oh, how I must fight the fire in my blood."

I realise how I had glossed over and mi
Maire Slater
Jun 05, 2017 Maire Slater rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-06
"Keep your eyes on the Lord," Caleb taught them. "Be ready to set out the moment the cloud lifts from the Tabernacle." He taught the boys and young men to run at the first blast of the shofar, rewarding those who were first to have their camps ready for the journey to the next site.
"Rise up! Rise up, O Israel! The Lord is on the move!" And so they all learned to do, not reluctantly but swiftly, pulling down tents, rolling, packing, setting out to wherever God led them. (78)

The camps moved with t
Cara Noyes
I enjoyed this story about Caleb. I now have a better understanding of why the Israelites had to wander in the desert for 40 years before entering the promised land. Smooth writing flow, and characters were well defined.
Reena Jacobs
Expect my review on my website 9/27/2010 at http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2010/09/n...

I’m not sure if it’s because I have a little writing under my belt or what, but I didn’t enjoy this one as much as my other Francine River reads. The novella had a lot of information chunks thrown at me. This is alright for the bible, but not okay for a fictional story, even if it is based upon the bible. At least in my mind.

I also wasn’t very fond of Caleb. He had an air of superiority. No one could satisfy him,
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

The Warrior tells the story of a man whom we usually only remember for his service as a spy. In this mix of fiction and biblical fact we see the depth of this amazing man who followed after God.

I greatly appreciate the wonderful balance that Francine Rivers keeps in her writing. She stays true to the biblical account while adding just enough to make the story flow as she probes their thoughts and feelings. Caleb comes to life in a way each person can relate to in one way or the other.

I
Sue
Jan 18, 2015 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A fictionalized accounting of the life of Caleb - one of the 12 spies sent by Moses to preview the Promised Land.
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the previous one on Aaron. With that one, it was very easy to follow the storyline and the Scriptures. This one is much more subtle. As I think about it, I feel there is less known about Caleb so Francine Rivers may have been forced to fill in, in order to create a flowing story line. What touched me the most in reading this was thinking abo
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I know of Caleb is the faithful stance he took beside Joshua after "spying" on the promised land. This book creates a plausible life experiences that lead up to that confident statement of faith. I never gave much thought to the Egyptians that left alongside the former-slave nation of Israel, nor did I realize Caleb was not part of Judah by blood. Although he longed for the peaceful life of a farmer, it seems Caleb was destined for war all his days. First struggling to temper his firey Edomi ...more
Sherri
Tanisca Wilson
I really enjoyed this book, mostly because Caleb is not a biblical character most writers bring to life, though he is one widely known. Rivers did a good job of giving Caleb personality, but sometimes he seemed too stubborn in faith. Although that's supposed to be a good thing, it sometimes seemed unrealistic. He was portrayed as the perfect believer, though he was belligerent at times. Also, I like the way Rivers portrayed Caleb as a support to Joshua, a man of experience who encouraged Joshua ...more
Nicole
Feb 12, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to book one was very good. This book convinced me to keep reading. The story of Caleb, was well written. Rivers did a lot of research on Caleb and the nuances of his story are simplly amazing. The story is well crafted inside the Biblical framework. Well done!! From this book forward, I was able to identify with the main characters and pray that my heart would be like theirs were. If you like Biblical history and want to have an understand of how the people could have felt, or why the ...more
Randy Tramp
Feb 01, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book
The Warrior - Caleb by Francine Rivers is #2 book in her Biblical Men of Faith series - Son's of Encouragement. It follows the life of Caleb as he came out of Egypt and entered the Promise land.

My Thoughts
Caleb is an inspiring character and Francine did an amazing job in allowing me to walk in the Caleb's shoes. One thing that strikes me is the attitude that Caleb had after he had to turn back from the Promise Land. He was one of the spies that saw the fruit of the land. His excitement t
Dalaina May
Jan 15, 2013 Dalaina May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say that after reading this novella, my 4th son very nearly was named Caleb. What a fabulous explanation for a familiar story. There was so much that I learned about Hebrew history and genealogy. I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard all of it before and wondered if maybe it was embellished a great deal. Nope. After doing my own research, I realized that the author just did a killer job of making history, ancient culture, and biblical narrative come to life that is almost felt like a ...more
Evelynn
I think my rating is more like a 3.5, the reason being the events closer to the end of the book.

I really liked the first...oh, two-thirds to three-fourths of the book. But near the end, Rivers started portraying Caleb with sort of a grumpy attitude. I didn't like that at all. Before, Caleb was a warrior of no complaints, one of the spies who told the people not to fear going into Canaan and taking the land, for the Lord was with them. But near the end (to me, at least), it seemed like he was mor
Melody Rensberger
This is a book from the point of view of Caleb during the Old Testament exodus, leading up to the capture of Canaan, the promised land. Even though all of River's books are fiction, this one was less believable than others. Don't get me wrong, Caleb is a stud, but the background information changes my picture of him. But only 195 tiny pages, so its worth reading to experience the author's perspective of the story.

For a longer review go to
Mrs
Jun 20, 2016 Mrs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as much insight as Amos.

p55- Caleb is spying- 1st goes to Kiriath-sepher where the Hittites live. They stood a head taller than the Israelites and were heavily mustached.
p113- I love how FR captures that Caleb believes the spies encounter with Rahab was another example of the Israelites falling into compromise
p113- no one in Israel knew how to swim! Had to cross the river at flood stage to conquer
p116- Got told them to be circumcised. Made everyone more vulnerable. Obviously conquering was i
Gloria
May 21, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of five follows Caleb , contemporary of Joshua. The author notes in the beginning that she uses the story provided by the Bible as a skeleton/ outline/foundation and then fills in the rest with action, dialogue, internal motivations, and additional characters that she believes are consistent with the biblical record.

In both this book and the first book, the author attributes New Testament ideas to her characters, whether through internal motivations, or the visions of old men.
Kimberly
Jun 08, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the Old Testament, and books about the Old Testament, many times. Both fact and fiction.

This book gives a fictional account of the Exodus of Israel from Egypt. The unique perspective of the novel is that of Caleb, an Egyptian who chose exile with the Israelites over staying in his own country. I thought the book was fantastic - I learned a lot looking at the situation as a whole from this perspective. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Christian Historical Fiction or just
Christie Lovvorn
In The Warrior, Francine Rivers imagines the life of Caleb, one of only two Israelite scouts who brought back a good report of the Promised Land. She imbues him with a fiery temper and considerable bravery and provides details on his (mostly fictionalized) family. The novel is obviously well-researched, but makes me wish scripture provided a clearer, fuller picture of some of the heroes of the faith. Rivers' version of Caleb provides believers with lessons in strength, courage and leadership as ...more
Katrina
Not excellent writing, but pretty good, and it definitely captured the passion Caleb must have had for his religion. I'm not sure that I agree completely on the author's portrayal of him, but she made me turn back to the Bible to remember what we actually know about Caleb. It's not much, but what the author didn't guess at, she got spot on. And it also gave me a slightly different perspective on the children of Israel (and therefore God's reasons for treating them as He did), which I appreciated ...more
Lisa Beth
May 14, 2013 Lisa Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I love Caleb. We gave our son the middle name of Caleb in the hopes that he would stand for God, even if no one else did. This is not my favorite Francine Rivers book, though she is still one of my favorite authors. Just like Unashamed, this book made me slow down and really think about this story that I've read so many times before. She helped me imagine it better and appreciate it more. Good book!
Meadow Frisbie
May 21, 2010 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind the mightly Joshua, was a man of faith and sword: Caleb.

He strived to be accepted in the Judah clan, but was rejected due to his nationality, even though he was distantly related to them.

This was amazing!! It really moved me with how much the people constantly turned from God, making you determined to follow him all the time.
We will fail the the Israilites, but like then, he will always accept us when we come back to Him. But nothing goes unpunished.
Tricia Abernathy
Wonderful book! A real page turner, except it can be a little deep into the genealogy. But I will definitely be reading more of these books for sure! Very glad this author decided to go into detail with the Old Testament felt like I was there. Interested in going into detail to see all the parts that are true, may take a lot of time but I'm excited:)
Brian
Oct 12, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I was expecting. It really started to annoy me with the way the people were acting and then I thought you know this is probably how Moses felt!! It was a good book to help remind me of the story and add a lot more details that I had either forgotten or didn't know. It was fun to see it all from what might have been Caleb's point of view, but was a bit slow.
Matthew Bushnell
Thought I'd give Francine Rivers a go as I had not read any of her work previously. This is pretty much the biblical account of the life of Caleb, obviously with a but of license to fill the "holes" in biblical data on Caleb. overall the book was OK, but certainly not gripping. I will try the rest of the series though.
Elizabeth Conlon
What a great follow up book after The Priest - I enjoyed The Warrior even more. It was a great reminder of the true stories in the Bible and I like her thoughts on what she thinks Caleb's life was like. After having studied the book of Revelation this past year, I really enjoyed the ending - picturing the "One riding a white horse......upon Him emblazoned Faithful and True, the Word of God".
Andrea
It was really neat to view biblical events in this manner. The people and events were brought to life with thoughts, feelings, motives, fears, and histories all their own. I've heard and read these stories many times in my life but this is the first time I feel like I really understand what happened and why.
Joy DeKok
Mar 25, 2010 Joy DeKok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all need a Caleb in our lives - a friend willing to encourage us and do battle with/for us. Francine Rivers reveals Caleb's character and faith, and yet never steals his friend Joshua's place in history or the mind of the reader.

Gail
Feb 22, 2013 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kcls, must-have, fiction
This book came into my hands at a time I most need the testimony of Caleb's life. Oh Lord you are merciful. I especially love how the words taken right out of Scripture came alive. The study guide at the end is valuable to me. I dog-eared every page of Scripture. i must reread it.
Veronica
Nov 14, 2014 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Another powerful and moving book. This one reinforced the spiritual message I received from reading 'The Priest' which I realize was completely a God thing. A great read for anyone who loved the first book or would like a deeper look at the life of Caleb.
Kathleen Knoop
Aug 12, 2011 Kathleen Knoop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little graphic for me...I had a hard time with all the battle "Scenes", especially when they went into details about the pregnant women being murdered...being that I am pregnant...it was tough for me.
  • Fourth Dawn (A.D. Chronicles #4)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • The Last Disciple
  • Ruth, Mother of Kings
  • Magdalene
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
  • Heart of a Lion (Lions of Judah #1)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Sons of Encouragement (5 books)
  • The Priest: Aaron (Sons of Encouragement, #1)
  • The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)
  • The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)
  • The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement, #5)