Start by marking “Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It” as Want to Read:
Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It

Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It

At the tender age of 17, Tina was frightened and pregnant. Feeling abandoned and desperate, she stepped into the clinic to have an abortion. But in the midst of it, something unexpected happened . . . something wonderful. Instead of snuffing out the growing life within, the procedure failed. And with defiance and courage, a baby girl made her way into the world. "Gianna" ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Gianna, please sign up.
Samantha Rinehart 7 months, however; it was unclear in the book because there were three different sources that had different dates.

Start your review of Gianna: Aborted...and Lived to Tell about It
Colleen
Apr 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
The girl's story itself was interesting but the majority of the book was insulting to people who are Pro-Choice. Pro-Choice people were made out to be horrible people and the Pro-Lifers innocent and better than everyone else. Yes, this is a controversial issue, but I think the author spent more time talking about how Pro-Choice people were bad, even calling them pro-abortionists, than telling the girl's story.
Melodie Chasteen
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I kept seeing this book at the grocery store checkout and I must say that it intrigued me but I never bought it until I saw it at a garage sale over the summer. It's been on my shelf to read for a while, but I'm so glad I finally did! Gianna's testimony is very inspiring. I have never agreed with abortion, and have never - EVER - thought that a baby in the womb is just a blob. We are human beings and had to start somewhere. Gianna shows not only that you can overcome obstacles in life, but that ...more
Natalie Vellacott
This was one of the better Christian Biographies I've read recently. Gianna's mother Tina had a "saline" abortion at the age of 17 having been persuaded by various professionals that this was the only way forward for her in her situation and at her age. However, although the procedure took place Gianna was born alive but with cerebral palsy; A congenital disorder of movement, muscle tone, or posture (google.) Tina raised her for a few years but custody was eventually given to the state and ...more
Stacee
Feb 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
I won't spoil the book for those in my book club that have not read it, but I didn't like the book. It drove me crazy with the horrible writing and random bits of information that had nothing to do with the story. I didn't know that there were abortion survivors, and I am glad there are. But I did not like the way this author wrote the story. Could have been a million times better.
Kari
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
This was the Book Club selection for the month. I was a bit sceptical when the blurb said it wasn't about the issues, and I was right. I managed to get about half way (quite easy to read) but I wasn't getting anything out of it, and the language disturbed me (i.e. calling pro-choice people, pro-aborts). I wouldn't recommend this - even to someone who is pro-life.
booklady
Thank you Natalie for recommending this! It was an enjoyable quick read. The first time I saw and heard Gianna was the first I knew of anyone surviving an abortion. Of course I suppose I could have considered it was possible, but it did not cross my mind. Her testimony was so powerful.

In her book, Gianna writes of those who refuse to believe her, heckle her when she speaks, call her out and claim she is being used. In her travels, she met others like her, survivors of botched abortions and tells
Love
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I had not read a book since high school when I picked this up. I was volunteering in a daycare my little one was going to 4 years ago, the women who ran it read when the kids napped so supply of books all around. I picked it up out of boardom and was hooked in seconds could not figure out why I had not read in so many years. I loved her story what a brave person to do the things she did. Now I am an addicted reader.
Christy
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone.
Gianna explained that people who are pro-choice do not feel that a fetus is a human. Gianna says if she was just her mother's tissue than why wasn't she born an organ. No, she was born a child, a baby girl with toes and fingers.

Complete review: http://scrink.com/blog/bookclub/2007/...
Kelly Fleetwood
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe! This book was phenomenal in every way. I truly believe this book has already had an impact on my life.
Giana Jessen was aborted by her mother, Tina, when she was only seventeen. Tina understood it was the best thing to do in the case of an unexpected pregnancy. When the time came for Tina to deliver a dead baby (in which they called Fetal tissue), she was in utter shock and amazement to find out that this so called Fetal tissue she was supposed to deliver was not tissue,
Big H
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to lie: I picked up this book thinking, "Wow...THIS looks hilarious!" It actually turned out to be okay--I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the book ("With God and with hope, ANYTHING'S possible!"), and it's also a quick & easy read (I read it in approximately half a day). I found some portions of the book to be...scientifically questionable...at best, though. This book makes me want to research more into the areas I was not entirely sure about though, to see what the truth is (which ...more
Sharon
Gianna is a miracle. Her mother went in to abort her when she was in her last trimester and instead of hitting her heart with the saline solution, he hit her brain. She was born alive and by the grace of God, she was snatched up by a nurse and rushed to a hospital. She has cerebal palsy as a result of the injection into her brain, but she is alive and is a remarkable woman. She came to speak at our church and when she went up on stage, the first thing she started out with was a praise song that ...more
Tara
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gianna's story is enthralling all the way through, and I was touched to see how she learned to cope with the trauma surrounding her abortion. However, in terms of writing, the book has a heavy conservative bias. I thought it was a bit disrespectful to people who align with Pro-Choice, referring to the movement as "Pro-Abortion". You can think someone's morals are wrong, without acting like you are above them. Pro-Life can be just as violent as its opponents, and could easily be renamed ...more
Mary
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This story has touched me on a heart level. I've always been against abortion. Then this book caught my eye and I had to read it: "Aborted...and Lived to Tell About It". I never knew these children ever lived through this murderous procedure. I cried throughout this book... sad and happy tears.

Though this book was a heartfelt story, it could have been written better. The author bounced around a lot and I had to try to figure out where I was many times. There were no breaks where there should
Dot Snyder
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this a couple of years ago. I am glad she gave the children that are aborted a voice. I'm sickened by the people who try to negate her. I hope she can always stay positive because she has just as much a right to be alive than anyone else.
J
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the first memoire written by an abortion survivor. If this was the only abortion-survivor book available, I would be very grateful for it. But, fortunately, there are others. And Melissa Ohden's "You Carried Me: A Daughter's Memoir" is much better.

This was disappointingly written in the third person by a reporter. I was expecting a memoir filled with Gianna's own thoughts and words. Instead, we get a third person report glowing with praise but not offering a very intimate or insightful
Pam
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-and-read
I don't usually write a review (I confess that this is this the first one). When I took this book to let my sister read it my 15 yr old nephew talking about it, he said heard Gianna being interviewed on Way of the Master, which is on online Radio Station. He has been pushing me to understand and agree that there is a lot the current US President that is really bad and wrong. And it's not just the abortion issue, it goes so much deeper. Now I agree with him, and of course all tat Gianna has said ...more
Sara
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read about Gianna back in the 1990's when she was written about in a Focus on the Family Magazine for teens called Brio. Her story is an amazing one of how she was aborted and survived. It is very much her testimony, her biological mother's, and her adopted mother's. It is a conversational style given that Gianna was a teen when this book was written, but it clearly tells her story and her passion for life and love of others.
Mukkove Johnson
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
It was amazing to see the perspective Gianna had on life. Reading even slight details of the horror of abortion is disturbing and makes it even harder to conceive the passion with which people fight for it. Still deciding if I'm reading it to the kids, she'll be speaking locally in a few months, so I may read them parts of her story.
Southernbelle0326
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Southernbelle0326 by: MY MOTHER
THIS BOOK IS A MUST READ!!! I THINK THIS BOOK SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING FOR EVERYONE.This book is very good book. I think is should be required reading for everyone. I could go on and on about abortion, but anyway, seriously, I thought this book was worth reading. The title speaks for itself.
Sara
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book tells the true story of Gianna Jessen. She was aborted at 7 months and lived. The beginning of the book is very interesting, reading about the facts surrounding her birth, how she found out she was aborted, and dealing with crebral palsy caused by the abortion.
Lydia
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Amazing true story of a girl who was aborted using a saline solution...but lived. Her personal story is fascinating and gives an interesting look into how attitude makes a huge difference in life. Very interesting. If you aren't pro-life you just might be after reading this...
Megan Smith
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!! I have recommended it to all my friends. It is not just a book about abortion-it's a story of forgiveness, God's healing Power and Love. If you haven't read this...you are missing out!!
Angela Blanco
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
I LOVED this book. Reading it could get a bit emotional at some points, but it was an excellent book. It's about a girl who was born after surviving an abortion procedure that her biological mother had tried to have. I would highly recommend this book.
Debra
Jan 21, 2016 added it
author shoves prolife down your throat...while I would never have an abortion, I strongly feel each women should have the right to choose for themselves...
Jeanne
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is a must read!!! she is an amazing person!! What a great book and great story!
Charity U
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wow. What to say? I am definitely pro-life, and I should think this book would be enough to move the most set pro-choicer. An amazing story! A must-read.
Robyn S.
Amazing story that I could not put down.
Sandy Carmichael
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting point of view, tho' I am not sure I buy all of this as factural.
Melissa Mc Lees
This book started off sad, but in the middle and in the end it was a good heart-felt read book. I am so glad that Gianna did live and was in a good spirit to be able to overcome her difficulties.
Nova
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I saw a video of Gianna Jessen giving a speech (which was excellent), did a search on her, and came across this book (which I had seen numerous times). While I enjoyed Gianna's story, it took a while for me to get into the book due to the writing style, which I didn't like. If you don't know already, Gianna's mother tried to have her aborted, and this was a failure. Due to the injection given during the abortion procedure, Gianna has cerebral palsy. Through all of her struggles, Gianna develops ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall
  • Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott
  • Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line
  • Choosing to SEE
  • Next Door Savior: Near Enough to Touch, Strong Enough to Trust
  • One Tuesday Morning (9/11, #1)
  • Beyond Tuesday Morning (9/11, #2)
  • Revolution in World Missions
  • Let's Roll!: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Courage
  • Soul Harvest: The World Takes Sides (Left Behind, #4)
  • Beholding and Becoming: The Art of Everyday Worship
  • Thr3e
  • Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2)
  • Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)
  • Living with Confidence in a Chaotic World Participant's Guide: Discovering What on Earth We Should Do Now
  • The Rising: Antichrist is Born  (Before They Were Left Behind, #1)
  • Return (Redemption, #3)
  • Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1)