Start by marking “Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey” as Want to Read:
Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey

Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey

Highly innovative work presenting a piercing interpretation of the tarot in terms of Jungian psychology. Through analogy with the humanities, mythology and the graphic arts, the significance of the cards is related to personal growth and individuation. The major arcana becomes a map of life, and the hero's journey becomes something that each individual can relate to the sy ...more
Published June 1st 1980 by Weiser Books (first published April 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Jung and Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jung and Tarot

Start your review of Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey
Elaine Campbell
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There is no one definitive book about the Tarot. Throughout the centuries, each one has been written with a different slant, a particular viewpoint and even different motives. What we've got to remember is that we are approaching the Holy here. Some modern writers on the subject that are financially dependent on the sales of books tend to forget that in their haste to be "popular" with the general reading public. They're easily detected by paying visits to their websites. If the visitor sees all ...more
Yve
Jan 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1970s, 1980s
ABANDONED a little more than halfway through, after the chapter on Arcanum XIII, when I realized all my recent highlights just said "wtf". I couldn't see it improving.

I wanted very much to like this book. Since a lot of popular tarot books focus on the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, it's nice to read about the Tarot de Marseille, my preferred style. To Nichols' credit, there weren't many existing resources for her to use. This is more than 20 years before the real Marseille heavy-hitters The Way of Ta
Laura Lee
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I refer to this book a lot. Because it has the word "tarot" in the title, it sounds like a guide to reading tarot cards, and I assume someone could use it that way. More than that, it uses the tool of the major arcana of the tarot deck to write long reflections on each of the archetypal images they represent. The entries draw on the writings of Jung, images of the archetype in art and literature. I find archetypes to be valuable concepts in writing and my copy of this book is well-used.
Teleri
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking a deeper understanding of Tarot
Shelves: tarot
Ine of my absolute favorite Tarot books. I wish I hadn't lost my copy & intend to replace it. I wish it would come out on Kindle...I first read a friend's borrowed copy when it came out in the 80's. I finally snagged my own copy in the 90's...and lost it with all my stuff in 2004 when I became homeless. It's on my "to replace soon" list! ...more
Felipe Chiaramonte
This piece should be read by everyone. Not only enthusiasts of tarot or Jung, but anyone with a will to go deep inside one's path in life.
Sallie presents an archetypical journey through the symbolic images of the Marseilles tarot deck and utilizes not only of junguian psychology, but also of art and mythology to illustrate. Her insights on the cards are great and sometimes very personal, which is also great! The good thing about her lecture is that she departs from the Marseilles cards but also
lucyintheskywalker
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, deep, and mind-opening. Recommend it for anyone who would like to understand the Tarot better.
Sandi
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating viewpoint on a more psychological approach to Tarot.
Marianne
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is 1) extremely interesting and generated a lot of new and intriguing thoughts for me (I mean, new to me at least), 2) a product of its time (late 70s) and full of weird datedness, and factual error about science, and subtle (occasionally blatant) sexism and other unpleasant glosses on gender things (which being Jung and Tarot, gender things come up a lot). But 1) was more important than 2), by a long shot.
Susan
Aug 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: tarot
Interesting, but only deals with the major arcana. Also, Nichols' writing is a tad repetitive. I wouldn't recommend this one as an introduction to the tarot, but it's a good supplement to any collection of books on the subject. I recommend reading Robert M. Place's wonderful book, The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination instead.
Noel
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Fun, fine. Nice references. Too many personal musings without Jungian citations. Only major arcana.
El
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Worthwhile read but very mixed quality.

Each chapter delves into one of the cards of the major arcana, exploring the history of the card and its symbolism, using Jungian psychology as a lens with which the card and its multiple messages are analysed. It also includes many examples of art relating to a particular card across history. A lot of the discussion is excellent and gives a really good picture of the card.

However, the biggest problem with this book is its lack of consistency across chapter
Lara Thompson
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very rich exploration of the major arcana, full of symbolism, mythology, art, told in a friendly voice. The author presents many ideas of Jung as they appear naturally in the cards. Not every card has a clear connection and none is forced; other cards do or have several and these are offered alongside other possible interpretations. Never is only one option given, fantastic for inner exploration via the cards with this book as guide. Shame only that she neglects the minor arcana.
Michael Neal
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid Jungian material on the symbolism of the Tarot of Marseilles.
Whitney Stanfield
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for students of Tarot and Jung's archtypes.
Honorine Lalor
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of interpretations that I don’t love. If you look hard enough, the overarching story of the major arcana is there. Have to weed through a lot.
Pwyllugh
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Author makes quite ridiculous claims at points that are just presented as fact. Probably a product of its time.
Wayne Petcher
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun read, lots of analogy and metaphors linking the major arcana to Jungian philosophy. I used to open it at certain times as a reflective, predictive tool...didnt end well ha.
Chaeya
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you read tarot or work with tarot cards, this is an interesting book to give you some deeper insight into the cards, especially if you enjoy archetypes as much as I do. You'll find that as you go through life, there are recurring themes which are prevelent, and in using the Jung and Tarot, if you find yourself attracted to certain cards of the Major Arcana, it will give you some deeper insight into your self.

Note: This is not a book to buy and leaf through for an explanation on the cards whi
Marjorie Jensen
This book had some interesting content about Jung and feminism as well as some strong connections to literature and visual art. However, Nichols (like others in the Tarot community) posits, repeatedly, that visual art is superior to books/words for inspiring creativity and imagination, and I wholly disagree with this argument. But I found her claims--as counterarguments--helpful for strengthening my own argument in favor of reading everything one can find, including the frequently maligned littl ...more
Oliver Ho
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Re-read: Got more out of the book the second time around. I’ll definitely read it again.

—-

Another interesting tarot book--I particularly liked how this one shied away from being new age-y and focused instead on the psychological interpretations of the major arcana, which were similar to Rachael Pollock's "78 Degrees of Wisdom" in many ways (in particular how both books described the major arcana as representing a psychological process of growth and development). The style is associative and digr
Alicia
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, tarot
This was a good book overall but in some cases I feel like she was stretching the material to fit her thesis and not the other way around. She also does not touch on the art history behind certain images which I feel takes away from the understanding. It's very long and took me almost 3 years to get through but I would recommend this book as long as you read it with a grain of salt.
Kelly
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: esoteric, favorites, jung, 2015
This book was incredible! The concepts expressed in this book are applicable to anyone on any kind of spiritual path. It has also deepened my respect and understanding for the figures of the Major Arcana. Highly recommended!
Erica Yatsuk
Jun 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: psych
wait can you guess? yep, art thearpy! lol, but this one is good. if you like tarot, history and psychology then you should give it a go.
Catherine Rowan
Sep 28, 2007 is currently reading it
Still in the works! ;-)
Amanda
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books on the Tarot
Darcie
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best book on Tarot I've read. Not a how-to -- but on the meanings of the cards.
Erin
Jul 28, 2009 is currently reading it
oh the literalness of this was a little much. i only made it through the first chapter. like, duh, tarot is about archetypes.
Cheryl
Jun 19, 2011 added it
Found it to be a nice, fairly easy, way to slide into deciphering what an archetype was; read years back but still have peaks back at it every so often.
Cherie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
B This is not your typical Tarot guide; instead, it meditates on the different Tarot cards, the characters, how they interact - with a Jungian focus. For the focused Tarot reader.
Jody
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great for any student of story.

• Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot
  • Alchemy & Mysticism
  • Kitchen Table Tarot: Pull Up a Chair, Shuffle the Cards, and Let's Talk Tarot
  • Book of Longing
  • The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Good-Bye, Mr. Chips
  • I'm OK - You're OK
  • Sea Change
  • The Seven-Percent Solution (Nicholas Meyer Holmes Pastiches #1)
  • Random Harvest
  • Life After Life: The Investigation of a Phenomenon - Survival of Bodily Death

News & Interviews

“The psyche is a self-regulating system whose aim is not perfection but wholeness and equilibrium.” 3 likes