Start by marking “Timewarps” as Want to Read:
Timewarps

Timewarps

How well-founded are our ‘commonsense’ ideas about time? Does time ‘really’ flow inexorably forward? Or is it ‘all in the mind’?

Starting out from the everyday experience of time, the rhythms of day and night and the seasons, and the International Date Line, John Gribbin goes on to the deeper mysteries of relativity theory, quantum mechanics, the implications of black holes
Unknown Binding, 205 pages
Published December 31st 1979 by Delacorte Press (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Timewarps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Timewarps

Eric Layton
I've read and enjoyed quite a few of Gribbin's books, but I'd have to say that this particular one did not impress me much. The first part of the book was interesting. However, the author went a bit off the beaten path in the latter parts; discussing hypnotic life regression, reincarnation, Eastern philosophies, I Ching, etc. Just a bit much for my tastes in science reading.

I understand he was speculating with regards to the topic of the book; looking at all the possibilities, including those j
Zoffix Znet
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you read John Gribbin's more recent works, this book—owing to its age—has a feel of a younger, more naive, and aspiring author. The book definitely touches a wider area than I expected from its title. Instead of brief account of General and Special relativities, with subsequent mathematical peculiarities, Gribbin ventures into the areas of philosophical, psychological and mythical views of time travel (nonetheless, he manages to present the mathematical peculiarities as well). Whilst some of ...more
Nefeli
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
The two first parts of the book were very interesting and offered insight on various topics about the nature of time, but the third part went too much into metaphysics which I didn't really enjoy. John Gribbin has a way of explaining scientific concepts in very approachable ways though.
Zest_boy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
The last section on unconsciousness is what separates this work from the usual physical time travel books
Mark Speed
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I loved this book - it really opened up my mind with regards to time-travel, parallel universes, etc.

John Gribbin is (was?) a great science writer, and his clear narrative and excellent supporting diagrams are excellent at getting across some fairly complex concepts easily.

Just flicking through it 35 years later, I can see that much of what the author has explained remains current thinking. It goes to show just how hard it is to prove in practice much of what is theorised at this level.
Mike S
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The review by Zoffix Znet dated Nov 10, 2013 sums up my thoughts very well. I'd just add that it's a fast-paced, easy read, no math required, it covers a broad range of ideas using a very comfortable writing style. The author is quite smart but doesn't waste time making sure you know that, I'll definitely read more of Gribbin's work.
Mark
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Brendan  McAuliffe
Aug 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Read this when I was about 11, made a big impression on me
Amanda L
General relativity theory with a dash of mysticism. Laughable at times.
Brandon Johnson
Sep 08, 2016
Willi
May 25, 2011
TrumanCoyote
rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2013
Lindsey Wilson
Mar 21, 2011
Togckmos
Oct 04, 2011
John R. Gribbin is a British science writer, an astrophysicist, and a visiting fellow in astronomy at the University of Sussex. The topical range of his prolific writings includes quantum physics, biographies of famous scientists, human evolution, the origins of the universe, climate change and global warming. His also writes science fiction.

John Gribbin graduated with his bachelor's degree in phy