Start by marking “Beam Me Up, Scotty” as Want to Read:
Beam Me Up, Scotty

Beam Me Up, Scotty

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Montgomery Scott, the endlessly resourceful chief engineer of the "Starship Enterprise" TM, has been a familiar presence in our collective imagination for over three decades. All around the world, everyone knows "Scotty" -- but far fewer know the true story of actor James Doohan, who has brought Starfleet's legendary "miracle worker" to life for three seasons on television ...more
Published December 2nd 1996 by Pocket Books (first published December 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Beam Me Up, Scotty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beam Me Up, Scotty

Patrick Nichol
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jimmy Doohan is a true hero.

Not because he was Scotty, although that's awesome.

It's because he stormed Juno Beach at Normandy with his fellow Canadians and lived to tell the tale. That is reason alone to read his memoir.

We all owe a debt a gratitude to men like Jimmy who fought for our freedom.

His book offers a rare glimpse of what it was like to grow up in Canada, become an actor, and eventually one of the best-known pop culture phenoms of all time.

Rich Meyer
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
One of the better autobiographies I've read recently. It doesn't hurt that it is about such a cool individual as James Doohan, either. There's not a lot of whining and whinging in it, either - James Doohan relates his life, his career and the advantages (and disadvantages) of fame very succinctly. Well-written by comic book and Star Trek scribe Peter David, this one is a fun afternoon read.
Christopher
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. This is as much a tale of a young soldier as a cherished TV hero. About 1/3 of the book has to do with his "coming of age" over six years in the Canadian military. Most of those military years were based in Britain, on both sides of D-Day! He eventually rises to the rank of captain and becomes a small plane pilot after suffering injuries both physical & emotional.

A few chapters later, when he does finally get to those 3 magic years of ST:TOS, he gives a brief synopsis of
Lenny Husen
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic and fun. A Must-read for any Trekkie. First half better written than the second, which turns into a sort of stream of consciousness rambling of anecdotes. I've always been fond of "Scotty" and after this book, he will always be in my heart.
Favorite quote "I heard somebody say once that if you can go thirty-six hours without the desire to have a drink, you're not an alcoholic. I have proven that to myself so many times."
Parts I loved, WWII (landing on the Beach in Normandy on D-Day and
Ilana Lehmann
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I admit that the reason I am giving this book a 5 star review is that the used copy I bought was autographed! Since James Doohan is no longer among us, I felt this was beyond lucky for me. I have another autograph of his, and checked them out. They matched. Then when I read his book, I learned that he always signed his own autographs.

The book spends a lot of time on his pre-Star Trek adventures. It is apparent in his book that he was not a fan of Shatner. But his relationships with the rest
Ruel
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars.

Short and quick read that any Star Trek fan will appreciate. James "Scotty" Doohan has led a long and interesting life, from serving in the Canadian armed forces to making a living as an actor. About half the book is about his non-Star-Trek life while the other half is his recollections from the TV show and movies.

As with the other original series actors, he's not too fond of William Shatner. However, he seems appreciative of the fandom that allowed him to survive when the acting gigs
Kate
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I always knew that James Doohan had an interesting life but I didn't quite know how interesting until I read this. It was also a fascinating perspective on world war two from a Canadian who actually served - as much as he could considering all the waiting around that he apparently did. Less star trek insight than other works I've read but it wasn't at all disappointing. It was a great read and the world is certainly lesser without him :(
Sheila
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Autobiography covering Jimmy Doohan's early life and until he met and married his last wife Wende. Gives some gossip about Star Trek but doesn't focus on it. Does talk about the Star Trek series of movies through "Generations." Roughly the first half of the book is devoted to Jimmy's service in World War II and participation in D-Day with the Canadian armed forces, and how he almost lost his life being machine-gunned.
Joseph
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Doohan's life was full before he became chief engineer on the Enterprise. Well written, fun and interesting tales of his time on Star Trek but also of his time in the war, and his early career. He had a story to tell beyond Star Trek and he did it very well. As the only actor from the series that I've met and been able to talk to, he's held a special interest for me. It was good to get to know him.
Cara Noyes
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, fiction
This was book 6 of the summer, my first non- fiction one. This was a pretty good biography and gave a lot of background into the original Star Trek series. I was especially glad to see that James Doohan had been a soldier for the Canadian army on D-day
John Yelverton
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm a bit perplexed how clipped this autobiography was. James Doohan landed on the beaches during D-Day and had an acting career that stretched decades. Yet everything is glanced over with the shortness of a Twitter Tweet.
Dann Wilhelm
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
A fun and interesting little read. Discovering that a sci-fi legend is also a war hero AND a Canadian was inspiring. Hard not to read it with a Scottish accent tho.
Audrey
James Doohan was a war hero (he was at D-Day!) and of course, Scotty on Star Trek. The guy led a long and interesting life!
Pudd'nhead Wilson
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Damn good story. Anyone that liked Scotty will like this.
Bill
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
James Doohan may have been famous for being Scotty on Star Trek, but this autobiography shows that he was much more than that. A WWII D-Day hero. A consummate character actor. A family man.
Yosef Shapiro
  • My Stroke of Luck
  • Fragile
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • Cheech & Chong: The Unauthorized Autobiography
  • U.S.S. Enterprise Ncc-1701-D Blueprints: Star Trek : The Next Generation (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • From History's Shadow
  • Babylon Confidential: A Memoir of Love, Sex, and Addiction
  • Grumpy Old Rock Star: and Other Wondrous Stories
Canadian actor, best known for playing Scotty, the irascible but lovable Scottish Flight Engineer for the Starship Enterprise in various Star Trek series and films - See more at: http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/...
More about James Doohan

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes
    $21.99 $3.99
  • The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life
  • Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Woman's Worth