Start by marking “Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, a” as Want to Read:
Soldier's Daughter Nev...

Kaylie Jones

Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, a

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Set in Paris, this refreshingly honest and poignant look at the coming apart and coming together of an American family living abroad will establish Kaylie Jones as one of our most perceptive and compassionate young writers.
Published June 1st 1990 by Bantam (first published December 1st 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, a, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, a

Terry Perrel
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this semi-autobiographical novel after Jones's memoir, Lies My Mother Never Told Me, so little about the plot surprised me, except for the journal that appears in the last few pages.

The novel, however, is a kinder and gentler story than the memoir in which Jones's mother plays a crucial role as narcissist, alcoholic and emotional abuser. In fiction the mother is a secondary character, thank god, and the good father, based on the late novelist James Jones, is prominent.

Each chapter reads l
Megan Anderson
The end is the only thing that keeps this book from being 5 stars. I loved the majority of it, but the end is anticlimactic. Too bad, because this is a very interesting book.
Krystina
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and kept you wanting more, however the ending was WEAK!
Keith
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is memoir written as fiction. Kaylie Jones is the daughter of James Jones, who wrote From Here to Eternity, and Thin Red Line. Since they lived as expatriates, she grew up in Paris, France. Such is the case of Channe, the protagonist, the daughter of a famous American writer living in Paris. She's an only child until her parents decide to adopt a son, and, in the nature of siblings, she both loves and resents this addition to the family. Much of this coming-of-age tale focuses on Channe com ...more
Paul Clayton
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is the story of Channe, daughter of an American author living in Paris (Author, Kaylie Jones, is the daughter of James Jones (From Here to Eternity), an American author who lived in Paris in the sixties). Anyway, what made ...Daughter... so riviting for me is that it 'mirrors' The Merry Month of May, a novel by the author's father, about his life in Paris. So, we have much of the same story, from the POV of the child. Kaylie Jones is a fine writer and she goes deeper than m ...more
Katherine Govier
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I liked this book a lot. Was a little flummoxed by the final section which seemed to be about something else entirely.
I've read Kaylie Jones' memoir, Lies My Mother Never told Me, which revisit some of the same material.
The character of the mother is spellingbinding in a kind of awful, reptilian way.
Anita
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really it's 3.5 stars.
It claims to be fiction, but is "loosely based on her experiences growing up". The style is memoir, vignettes rather than a linear narrative. The story is interesting.
Daniela De conto
La versione italiana è bellissima
Jack
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant surprise. Kaylie's honesty, even in matters concerning herself, is a nice change.
I also like her style. She doesn't use "too many" words!
Yoana Voicu
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the movie SO much!!
Meri
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Shelves: great-books
Amazing book. Perfectly structured and paced. I laughed, I cried. Jones knows how to write about the family myth! This book ROCKS and the film, based on the book, is also terrific!
Gayathri
May 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
The movie is way better!
Lana
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I picked this up because the title is so schmaltzy, but the story is quite captivating and well told from the young girl's POV.
Josephine Ensign
This is a much more tightly-written book than is Jones' The Anger Meridian. But what I found to be most fascinating were the reasons Jones insisted on classifying this as a work of fiction versus memoir.
Punk
Dec 22, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Free e-book advent calendar from Akashic Books: Download A Soldier’s Daughter Never Cries for FREE until midnight, December 22, 2016!

Comes in DRM-free mobi or epub, and you don't have to sign in or up for anything.
Christine
Steph Reid
Apr 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
202819
Kaylie was born in Paris, France and attended French schools until she returned with her family to the U.S. in 1974. Her father was the novelist James Jones.

Kaylie began to study Russian as her third language at age 8, and continued to study the language and literature through her four undergraduate years at Wesleyan University and her two years at Columbia University’s School of the Arts, where s
More about Kaylie Jones...