Start by marking “Introducing Machiavelli” as Want to Read:
Introducing Machiavelli

Introducing Machiavelli

(Graphic Guides)

Machiavellian is a popular byword for treachery and opportunism. Machiavelli's classic book on statecraft, The Prince, published over 400 years ago, remains controversial to this day because of its electrifying frankness as a practical guide to power. It is a how-to manual for dictators, a cynical philosophy of the end justifies the means, or a more complex and subtle anal ...more
Published October 30th 1997 by Totem Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Machiavelli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Machiavelli

Sean Chick
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good introduction to one of the most profound and misunderstood political philosophers.
Nathan
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karl Rove.
Totem Books has a wonderful "Introducing" series that spans many political, artistic, critical, religious and philosophical movements and figures. They're essentially text books in the form of a graphic novel. Most people have heard the phrase "Machiavellian" yet know little about the man or his theories, and I include myself in that. The Introducing... series never fails as a good place to start. Introducing Machiavelli reveals that there was more to Machiavelli than a man who wrote handbooks f ...more
David Silva
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read, it introduces the basic ideas proposed by Machiavelli, not just in the prince but in it's life and other works, with the right context.

It also goes through some examples of leaders in history and how they have failed or succeeded in applying his ideas.
Katie Lynn
Pretty basic overview. Would like a little more in-depth info, but I guess that's why it's just an introduction.
kewan alghofaily
الكتاب بأكمله يعتمد على الصور والرسوم التوضيحية

مما اعجبني:
من النصائح للأمير المنتظر:
١. لايعتمد على قدرته على الاستمالة والإقناع بل لابد أن يكون قادرًا على أن يقف وحده دون أن يعتمد على الآخرين
٢. إن أراد أن يحافظ على اشتهاره بالسخاء فسوف يؤدي إلى فرض ضرائب باهظة على شعبه مما يجعل رعاياه يكرهونه، لذلك ينبغى عليه أن يكون بخيل
٣. من الأفضل أن يكون مرهوب على أن يكون محبوبًا، لأن طبيعة الناس تجحد المعروف

"قيمة الدين تعتمد على إلهام الشعب في المحافظة على الناس أخيارًا وجعل الأشرار يخجلون"
"إذا كانت دي
Elīna Zviedre
People call him the devil and yet he was pretty sane considering his time.
As i'm not a big fan of politics but who is intrigued by his personality, this really was a great introduction into his general beliefs and morals. Even if they were a bit radical for that time.
There were things i disagreed upon, nevertheless, his points were decent.
His works are only further prove that people will interpret things to their own liking, trying to benefit from whatever they get their hands on...aghm, the B
DOUGLAS J BERRY
Goes astray

The beginning of the book about Machiavelli is good. The last 20% of the book talks about ideas that occurred after Machiavelli s death and are abstruse. The artwork is black and white political cartoons.
Jaesin Kilpela
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Clearly written, it introduces Machiavelli in such a way as to be easily understood. It also includes modern examples of how his writings were and are put into modern practice.
Ronalds Purgailis
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to read it after you read the actual book, I liked the graphical design, but it was hard to read after a while because the text placement was a little bit off for me.

I also liked that it touched other Machiavelli books.

Icon Books
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Illustrated guide to the crucial Italian philosopher and author of The Prince. 'Machiavellian' is a popular byword for treachery and opportunism. Machiavelli's classic book on statecraft, The Prince, published over 400 years ago, remains controversial to this day because of its electrifying frankness as a practical guide to power. Is it a how-to manual for dictators, a cynical philosophy of 'the end justifies the means', or a more complex and subtle analysis of successful government? Machiavelli ...more
Jrobertus
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a graphic guide to the life and work of on of history's most famous authors. I read "The Prince" many years ago, and enjoyed this little book which puts the work in an historical context. In addition to The Prince, which advises a strong leader on securing the state, this book also discusses "The Discourses" which extolls the virtues of a republic and in many ways lays the basis for ideals on the American constitution. The book also explores the Machiavellian ideas on contemporary politi ...more
Matthew
Jul 25, 2007 rated it liked it
I am so smrt. Introducing Machiavelli seems to be a good... introduction to Machiavelli. :) There is value in basing your actions upon realities rather than ideals, but in this case "realities" seem to be hindered by rigid interpretations that would change with more observation. The message of The Prince and Discourses seem to be at odds - I'm sure I'm not getting something. All in all, a short, interesting and easy read.
Mark Singer
A sympathetic and well-illustrated examination of Machiavelli's life, writings and legacy. As stated on the back cover, Machiavelli was a citizen of the Florentine republic who opposed the despotism of the Medici family, yet used the tyrant Cesare Borgia as the model for his The Prince. Curry explains how and why Machiavelli is still relevant today.
Edan Marie Esquibel
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading Machiavelli in a fresh, inviting way.

The graphics are awesome, so are the sentence construction. Simple yet substantial.
Academic materials should be like this to garner the attention of students, and for a fun learning.

Kaye
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non_fiction
This introduction was well done, but I think I have to return to college to really mesh out all of Machiavelli's revolutionary ideas, or at least get a friend to hash it all out with me over a beer.
Alessa
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably 3.5 stars. Was a good introduction but it was a little dense towards the end. Probably requires a second read through.
Carlos Vallarino
Excellent book has to be read and reread, gives u an insight of what some gobernantes and exgobernantes should do and not do. When I read it again, will quote.
Angie Libert
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: scholar
A great overview on Machiavelli's work. I loved the artwork too.
Thieluar
Explains the setting of Florence and it's a whole biography. It does not only treat The prince but also his other, less known works.
Andrei_k
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличный график-гайд по Макиавелли: его работам и философии, а также немного истории современной ему Италии и неплохая попытка представить его идеи в рамках современного общества.
Sean
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Seeking a general overview and got one.
C
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political, philosophy
good
Norman
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
I really like Machiavelli and this book gives us a detailed story on who he was and what inspired him to write "The Prince".
Whimsical
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I like the format of this book because it enabled easy understanding of Machiavelli.
Drew
Introducing Machiavelli by Patrick Curry (1996)
Dane

• Machiavelli in Hell
  • Introducing Nietzsche
  • Introducing Kant
  • Introducing Lacan
I hold a B.A. (University of California at Santa Cruz, 1978, in Psychology, with highest honours), M.Sc. (L.S.E., 1980, in Logic and Scientific Method), and Ph.D. (University College London, 1987, in the History and Philosophy of Science).

Since September 2006 I have been a Lecturer (0.5) in Religious Studies at the University of Kent (Canterbury), where I teach in the MA programme on the Cultural

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Fascism and Nazism
  • Introducing Genetics
  • Introducing Jesus
  • Kafka
“If you exclude the people from participation, marginalize them, threaten their identity and nationhood, you will inevitably get sabotage and a conservative response.” 0 likes
“One can save one’s soul, or one can found or maintain or serve a great and glorious state; but not always both at once.” 0 likes