Start by marking “TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD” as Want to Read:
TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD

TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD (Jake Lassiter #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  2,306 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
“Move over Scott Turow. ‘To Speak for the Dead’ is courtroom drama at its very best.” – Larry King, USA Today

A doctor in love with his patient’s wife...
A fatal mistake during surgery...
Accident? Malpractice? Or murder?

Defending a surgeon in a malpractice case, Jake Lassiter begins to suspect that his client is innocent of negligence...but guilty of murder. Add a sexy wido
Published January 6th 2011 by NITTANY VALLEY PRODUCTIONS, INC. (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD

Maureen DeLuca
A pretty good start for the first in this series. For book number 1 - published in 1990 and from what I see , the series is still going strong.

The MC is Jake Lassiter- an ex-second string line backer and now a lawyer in the Miami, Florida area. He is a fun character and I absolutely loved him from the beginning. The other characters are wonderfully quirky-like Charlie Riggs, the former Medical Examiner, who spouts Latin and knows the most surprising things- you just can't help but laugh every t
Paul Levine
Dec 14, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My first novel. Chosen as one of the best mysteries of the year by the Los Angeles Times.

TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD on Amazon Kindle here.

TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD on Barnes & Noble Nook here.

"Just the remedy for those who can't get enough Spenser and miss Travis McGee terribly." – St. Petersburg Times

"Jake Lassiter is attractive, funny, savvy, and brave." – Chicago Tribune

"Irreverent...genuin
Dani
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always looking for good series to read, since I can read much faster than my favorite authors can write, even as a collective group. :D Don't remember how I found out about this one, but I enjoyed the first novel. It's set in S. Florida, where I grew up, and I always enjoy books more when I can picture the setting from firsthand experience. Lassiter was a flawed but sympathetic character. I thought the romance was a little overblown (like, who falls THAT much in love with someone they've jus ...more
Tulay
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legal thriller with humor.

Paul Levine makes you laugh while describing gruesome screen. Read all the Jack Lassiter books and love it. You'll fall in love with the some characters. Judge that fills racing forms during the trial, buzzards on the roof of the court house. Love to spend a day in that court room with Jack Lassiter.
Pickleman
This is my second novel from this guy. It is the second time I was impressed. Really a good bunch of characters, a fun courtroom drama, and just the right amount of "who done it". I am currently reading the second Jake Lassiter thriller.
Nancy Silk
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"An Awesome Novel of Courtroom Games and Crime Solving"

In this highly suspenseful novel, Jake Lassiter is again in court to defend Doctor Roger Stanton, Chief Orthopedic Physician. Jake had been once a football player, an ex-public defender, now an attorney waiting for an answer from the person on the stand. It's a malpractice trial of Corrigan vs. Stanton. The man who died after the surgical procedure was Philip Corrigan, a very rich man. The lawsuit was filed by the wife of Philip Corrigan...
Ed
Sep 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fiction fans who have nothing else on their bookshelves.
This is another banal crime fiction offering disguised as a legal thriller by having a lawyer as the protagonist.

The plot is simple. Lawyer defends doctor in malpractice case. Victim turns out to have been murdered. The rest of the story has to do with the lawyer trying to catch the killer or killers, who are already known to anyone who has ever read a mystery story.

The characters are pure cardboard. The writing is infantile. I skipped large numbers of paragraphs as I plowed through the last ha
SimyCat
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book and it kept my interest. Mr. Levine has created the character Jake Lassiter and each book in this series is about Jake, ex-pro football star now lawyer and all the things Jake gets himself involved in. The books keep me interested and I have found when reading I could picture the places described. I loved reading the series from beginning to current. I recommend this for those who like reading this type of book.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a decent book with pretty good suspense but I had a hard time with mainly the love interest of the main character. The book didn't link these two well enough to make them as much of a pair as the storyline tries to imply. The ending really left me hanging and not in a good way. When I realized that was really the last page I sat there wondering, "what in the world?"
Arthur
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Speak For The Dead (Jake Lassiter book 1)

Meet Jake Lassiter, defence attorney, who is the best for another great way to get out of trouble with the law. How he does that is a story that will have you turning pages to follow the plot. Thanks for letting us get to know Jake. Thanks for another great read.
"To Speak for the Dead" 99 Cents This Week Only 1 3 May 23, 2011 04:50PM
  • Dire Means
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • A Man Overboard
  • Ascension Day
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Thriller #1)
  • The Girl From Long Guyland
  • Trust No One (Vista Security, #2)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Hidden
  • Never Back Down
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • The Advocate's Betrayal (The Advocate #2)
  • The Devil's Deep (Devil's Deep, #1)
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • Liquid Lies
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
NEW and available for pre-order in print, e-book and audio editions: Paul Levine's latest legal thriller, BUM DEAL, debuts June 2018.

Defense lawyer Jake Lassiter switches teams and prosecutes a surgeon accused of killing his wife. There’s just one problem…or maybe three: no evidence, no witness, and no body.

But Lassiter’s used to fighting impossible battles on the gridiron and in court. After all,
More about Paul Levine...

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
  • Bum Luck (Jake Lassiter #11)
“I've never been disbarred, committed or convicted of moral turpitude, and the only time I was arrested, it was a case of mistaken identity...I didn't know the guy I hit was a cop.” 1 likes
“I stood there, 220 pounds of ex-football player, ex-public defender, ex-a-lot-of-things, leaning against the faded walnut rail of the witness stand, home to a million sweaty palms. "To Speak for the Dead" (The Jake Lassiter Series) http://tinyurl.com/69eua2t 1 likes