Start by marking “First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)” as Want to Read:
First Impressions (First Impressions, #1)

First Impressions

(First Impressions #1)

When ugly socks attract.

Surly artist Jez just can't help staring at the brightly colored socks of the businessman who sits opposite him on the train every day. He weaves a whole history for the mysterious stranger in a vain attempt to stave off his attraction, but it only ends up feeding his bizarre obsession. Then one hot morning, Jez finally snaps and starts sketching...
Published January 29th 2011 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about First Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Impressions

SheReadsALot
Thoroughly enjoyed this freebie! Jez and his blonde dreads were too cute. I love the theme of strangers falling for one another on public transportation. I used to create stories in my head for fellow passengers when riding the subway.

And the fact that Jez was so 'in his head'? Loved it. I will most definitely follow the rest of the series.

Great dialogue, great characters and great sex! (I will admit the last book I read glossed over the sex that I cheered out loud when I read the detailed blow
A Girl Has No Name
3 stars!

Everybody knows them - ugly socks. But while I prefer to bury them in the depths of my dresser, Josephine Myles pulled them out of the dark and transformed them into a sexy little kink.

Very cute short story!
Sheri
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short, sexy and a sock kink?
A stranger on the train? A free spirited artist and a suit? I really enjoy a mismatched perfect pair.
Yeah...this was good stuff. But of course, it's Jo Myles :)

Gotta dash, I need the next one!
Christina
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it

Yay, for another sweet story with fun and colorful socks!
I want more.

Serena Yates
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
I simply loved this story. The vivid detail of Jez’s world as he looks at everything with an artist’s eye drew me in as much as the deeper truth underneath. The slow reveal of who this man is that he’s been admiring every morning on the train was very interesting, well paced and fun at the same time.

Jez has certain preconceived ideas about the world, as we all do. They extend to looking at someone’s way of dressing and figuring out what they do for a living. The colorful socks he describes were
Heller
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When ugly socks attract. So very true.

I just love Myles' voice. This is a short but really detailed story about two strangers and a bizarrely adorable courtship on a train. They see each other month and month and Jez, an artist, fantasizes about the suit, Steve, who sits across from him and looks so buttoned down except for his neverending collection of lurid socks.

This is from Jez' POV and I love what's going on his head. This is a great little story. Lots of wonderful chemistry here.
Cole Riann
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and poignant story that hit all of my buttons. I loved the characters, the premise, the idea of who someone is measured against what we assume they are. Jo did a wonderful job cutting right to those elements in a way that was more than a thrill and more than a scene. Extremely difficult to do in a short story. Without the sex scene, I wouldn't have been surprised to find it in a literary journal. I loved the socks -- oh yeah, and the underwear :)
Macky
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like this little story I love the idea of a pair of bright, garish socks bringing two complete opposites together on public transport. The dreadlocked artistic Jez and the suited city gent Steve. Cute and sexy. And thank you Jo.. At the moment free.
Elspeth
Short, fun, and very British, loved it!
Bev
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it

Sweet little tale of Jez, a surly artist and Steve, the guy whose socks blow Jez's mind whilst sitting opposite him on the Tube each morning. 4 stars

This was a cute shortie, mostly about Steve's brightly coloured socks and what Jez suspected they said about the man that wore them.  photo brightlycolouredsocks_zpsdde0d189.jpg

What they actually did say, and where it lead the two of them is for you to find out. I've also downloaded the freebie which follows on from this.
Josephine Myles
Jan 24, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It all started with the socks...

I have one of those minds that likes to take up a challenge, and when I read somewhere that leaving your socks on during sex was a real turn off, I thought "why?" Somehow, from this strange beginning a whole story of erotic obsession grew. I loved the idea of pairing up two very different looking characters, both of whom were judged by their appearance. I also enjoy watching strangers on public transport and making up stories about them, so it felt natural to have
Mandapanda
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
I'm getting very impatient waiting for the release of Barging In and jealous of all those who received ARC's and have been teasing the rest of us with glowing reviews. So I thought I'd read some of JM's other short stories while waiting.

First Impressions is a quirky and lovable tale about Jez, a bohemian artist, and Steve, a businessman and fellow passenger on the morning train. Jez becomes obsessed with Steve's colourful socks and over time with the man himself. Impossible not to fall in love
Eden Winters
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-quick-read
Love the premise, being the proud owner of some pretty bizarre apparel choices myself. Lovely budding romance between angsty artist Jez and the man he creates his own ideas about, only to have them blown out of window by the reality of Steve. And it all started with a pair of socks.

A definite mood-lifting, fee-good little story. Highly recommended.
Amy
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Well that was $.99 of pure fluff and I loved it!! Blonde dreadlocked, blue eyed artist exchanges glances with sexy, ugly sock wearing business man on the train. Seriously cute story, with some sexy time thrown in to make me extra happy!
Cindi
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story, series, 2013, m-m
Jez judges Steve by the crazy socks he wears not realizing that he is exactly who Jez has been looking for. Short, but not so short where I felt like I missed anything.

A fun, sexy short. I love these guys.
Hannah
3.5 stars.

I want to give Josephine Myles a hug now, because this story is just what I needed today. It's so cute and sweet and quirky. It's just a quick, comfortable read, the perfect companion for a comfy sofa and a cup of tea.
Kassa
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’ll admit this short story had me at the opening line. “When ugly socks attract” just sounds fun and interesting. The story definitely lives up to that expectation with an entertaining and really enjoyable narrative. The short length is well used here to entice readers and leave them satisfied. As with any short I like I want more and that’s true here but I think the author does a really good job with this length and delivers a warm romance within the allotted pages. Definitely one to pick up f ...more
Tam
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

This is a lovely little short about opposites and assumptions about other people based on outward appearances. Jez is a hippy dippy artist. He’s got long dreadlocks, he’s constantly covered in paint and has great disdain for the establishment. The hottie he sits across from on the train every morning is everything he’s sure he finds repugnant. He likely comes from the well-to-do suburbs, wears a suit, is clean-cut and appears to be busily working taking over the world every morning scr
Cryselle
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, short-story, torquere
My first impression of this story involved cleaning coffee off the keyboard, because that blurb is so damned catchy.

"When ugly socks attract."

Jez sits across the aisle of the train from a suit who's only apparent non-conformity is owning an enormous collection of garish socks -- he's always got his head in a stack of papers. Making up stories about this man becomes nearly a full time occupation -- half the story goes by before Jez gets up the courage to approach, done in a very cute and artist's
Kaetrin
First Impressions This delightful little story is about Jez, a "Viking hippy" artist with long blond dreads and an attitude, who becomes fascinated by a man he sees on the train every morning. The man (Steve) wears the most lurid socks Jez has ever seen, even though the rest of him appears to be buttoned down tight. And he seems to have an endless supply of these socks - as there are a different pair every day. At about 25 pages, the story shows their growing interaction on the train, their sexy ...more
Gillian Kevern
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, romance, short-story
Just plain fun. I enjoyed the premise, and found that Myles' treatment of it did not disappoint! I really enjoyed the humour and how unapologetic the story was about being a quick bit of fun. I enjoyed the knitting, the socks, the hideous underwear, and the characterization of Jez, Steve and Kathy but what I really enjoyed most of all was how easily and well Myles conveyed location! I've only visited London twice, but I felt at once that I knew exactly where Myles had located her story, and that ...more
Lauraadriana
This was lovely. What a great little story. Jez is an artist, and one day on the subway he notices a man's gaudy socks. The man gives him a look, and he catches Jez's attention.
Then every day for months, he sits in the same seat across the stranger with colorful socks and wonders who he is, until the day he boldly takes a chance.

I can't say how much this story had. Everything I love. So much goodness. So many times with shorts, my complain is ' I wanted more'. Not this one. It was PERFECT just
Jenn
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Super short, super goodness! I loved it! I loved that you can doubt yourself or someone else based on past experiences or those pesky first impressions. I loved the secret to someone's personality can be hidden or so tiny in something as mundane as socks. I loved that it was playful, yet had a deeper meaning. So adorable these two. There is a free sequel/short on the author's website that is not to be missed~I died from the warm fuzzy's.
Lisa
A cute book.
Jez gets the same subway train every day and sits opposite the same man who wears brightly colored socks. After a while Jez draw him and leaves the picture and his number with the guy.
Eventually, the guy models for Jez and they begin a relationship.
I would like this book to become a longer novel as there is so much more to say about the two.
Ivana
I found this little gem by accident and it has saved my crappy day! Loving these little stories, so hot!
P.D. Singer
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to P.D. by: Cryselle
Shelves: m-m
This was a beautifully done short with an unconventional hook; those ugly socks have a lot to answer for, in a good way! I hear there's a followup short on the author's website, so off to read that.
Justin
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great characters. Fun story!
Chris
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good short m/m romance about an artist who becomes fascinated by the guy wearing a suit and crazy socks who he sits across from on the train every day.
Natalie
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Perfect in every way. The writing is clever and charming, and the story manages to do quite a lot in its short length, without feeling like it ended too soon.
V
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely, cute story.
  • In Over His Head
  • Permanently Legless
  • Lazy Sundays (Lazy Days #1)
  • Tomfoolery
  • Swept Away
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • Autopilot Engaged (Turbulence, #2)
  • Better Than New
  • Heart Trouble
  • The Fix (Whitetail Rock, #2)
  • To Feel the Sun
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Winter Warmers
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Hot Hands (College Fun and Gays #1)
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • Lead Us Not
  • Where You Hurt the Most
English through and through, Josephine Myles is addicted to tea and busy cultivating a reputation for eccentricity. She writes gay erotica and romance, but finds the erotica keeps cuddling up to the romance, and the romance keeps corrupting the erotica. She blames her rebellious muse but he never listens to her anyway, no matter how much she threatens him with a big stick. She's beginning to suspe ...more

First Impressions (3 books)
  • Fuzzy (First Impressions, #2)
  • Last Chance (First Impressions, #3)