Start by marking “The Cat Who Came in from the Cold” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Came in from the Cold

The Cat Who Came in from the Cold

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  776 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
The little cat Deric Longden saw sitting forlornly on an upturned bucket belonged to the neighbours, but somehow when it began to rain it seemed only natural to bring him inside. Once there he slipped so easily into Deric and Aileen's lives that there was an unspoken agreement that he had found his real home. Little did he know that he had entered the Longden world, in whi ...more
Paperback
Published May 8th 2007 by Corgi (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Came in from the Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Came in from the Cold

Fiona
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I adore this mans work - I do wish that he would write more!!

He is so funny - on a par with Bill Bryson...

His pathos and humour are brilliant...

**UPDATE**

Have just re-read this on my Kindle and have fallen in love with this Mans writing all over again.

Sadly I have recently heard that Deric is very ill and has not long to live - so sad that we will get no more books from this wonderful writer,,

Who else could give us such wonderful and silly situations as a Cat Whisker up the nostril!!!!

Please re
Barbara
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own

Longden saw a white kitten in his backyard during rainy weather and rescued it, not knowing it lived next door. Thermal's presence in the Longden house changed things forever. You will have to read the book to discover why he is named Thermal. I love all of Langden's books because cats are his favorite subject and he tells the stories with such humor and affection.
Charlie
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, favorites
The heartwarming story of a kitten called Thermal and his pet sultana Ralph. This is my all time favourite animal story book (with the possible exception of Black Beauty). I have read it several times and will probably read it several times more.

Thermal is a white kitten that Longden sees sitting, bedraggled, in the rain in his neighbour's garden. He brings him in and adopts him, even though he belongs to the neighbours and they would actually have quite liked to have him back. Derek's blind wi
C.
It was a pure delight to be treated to the skill of this author's development of this kitten's personality.

I have never read a book where an animal has so much personality or could carry a book's story so well,as this author does in 'The Cat Who Came In From The Cold'.

This book is not only very,very funny,but it is absolutely charming,as well.
Everyone who has ever been owned by a cat will recognize the many truisms throughout,but Thermal is also a very unique kitten/cat who is a joy to read abou
Otherwyrld
Nov 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A funny and entertaining little book about a man, his blind wife and his cat(s) and the strange things that happen to them. Enjoyable if you like cats of course (as I do), but possibly not for everyone. Manages to deftly avoid becoming too twee or sentimental, which is always a danger when writing about small furry animals. Written almost like a diary - things happen, more things happen, the end. Not particularly deep, but then it doesn't need to be, nor does it have any such pretensions. Just r ...more
Sephie
Jun 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers
Shelves: auto_biog
Wonderful, heartwarming and well written true story about Thermal the kitten. A great little read.
Schnaucl
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Pether Gethers' Norton books or Cleveland Amory's Polar Bear books
Unlike the typical adopting a cat changed a man's life book, the man in question is married and a father of four grown kids. He doesn't come off as particularly cantankerous or curmudgeonly. That's not to say the people in his life aren't highly amused by the lengths he goes to in order to please the cat, Thermal.

Thermal was a neighbor's kitten that Deric and his wive adopt when the kitten is left out in the rain and he feels sorry for it. (It's not until much later he learns that the cat did ha
Jean
Oct 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, favorites
A long time ago I received the audiobook as a gift and absolutely fell in love with it. I played it over and over until I literally played the tapes to death. The tapes were lost for good in a house fire, and for years I kept looking for replacements. Cue to this year, when I found the release of the book.

I'll start by saying that you definately lose something in the switch from the audiobook to the print version. The book isn't quite as charming, or witty, and the flaws stand out much more. I'd
Megan
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
When I was about 9, my family embarked on a road trip and took a number of books-on-tape with us. Londen's tale of adorable kittens, raisins, and such became an instant family favorite and we checked it out of the library for almost every trip after that (until we no longer had a tape deck in the car.) About 2 years ago, my mom found a copy for me for Christmas. It was wonderful reliving this text.

It's not your typical animal book (there really isn't a Marley and Me moment, thank goodness). It's
Janet
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In "The Cat Who Came in from the Cold" we are introduced to Thermal the kitten. Thermal knows when he's onto a good thing and decides to adopt Deric and Aileen as one of his own. Enjoy reading about Thermal, Deric and Aileen's domestic adventures as they pitch and lurch themselves through (what is for them) normal life. A gentle and very funny memoir about nothing in particular. Warning - tissues required - you'll cry with laughter!
Susan Brewer
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this not long after it first came out, and it's been one of my favourites ever since. Deric had the skill of making a reader laugh out loud one moment and then cry the next. All of his books are wonderful to read, his characters jump from the page, but this one, which I read over and over, is my all-time favourite - how often is it that you read about a cat who has a pet raisin?!
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, comedy, britain, 2009
I just love Longden's style; chatty and witty, and quite humble (very British!). Reading his stories about his new kitten, cat owners can just picture exactly what's going on, and I ended up laughing out loud on many occasions (even on the second reading!)

Deric starts as a dog lover, but by the end is firmly in the cat camp, and proud owner of 4! (and how could he NOT have converted?)
Xanthi
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I listened to this one on audiobook. I enjoyed it well enough. It had a certain charm to it and I finally found out how Thermal got his name. Humourous and the author really brings the cats in his world, to life.
Estarriol
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A warm friendly book about a man who finds a 'stray' kitten in his garden and how it charms its way into his and his almost blind authoress wifes life and home.

It is a feel good book but it has its hard edges as do all Deric Longdens books, he knows life is not just the good things.
Barbara
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone.
I love this book. It has all the comforts of a warm and inviting home, with a big, comfy chair to read in while sipping hot tea with, of course, a cat curled up on your lap. One of my perennial favorites. It is also wonderful in audio, if you can find it.
Peri
Oct 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Truly my all time favourite cat book. The whimiscal narration leads you along into Deric Longden's world and his life with Thermal and Ralph. One of those feel-good comfort reads that I return to time and time again.
Eugenio De Marco
Simpatica storia che accomunerà e fara sentire compresi tutti coloro che hanno e amano un animale domestico che diventa inevitabilmente parte imprescindibile della famiglia.
Eileen
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very funny. I wish our Mimi could read this
Winter
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Charming book for us owned by a cat.
Jen
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book a few times, and come back to it every time as an old friend. The conversational style of the narrative can be a little hard to parse, but worth it for the comfort and humor in the read.

My favorite element of these sort of rambly anecdotal chapters is how Deric, the narrator, anthropomorphizes his entire world. From Thermal the kitten, his beleaguered sidekick the raisin and a host of neighborhood pets, to kitchen devices, buckets, rakes and delivery vans - everything has an
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gli do un meritato 5 stelle perché, a parte il titolo che secondo me non c'entra niente con il libro, è davvero una piacevole lettura, mai noiosa, divertente e interessante! Complimenti davvero allo scrittore che ha saputo cogliere attimi di vita più o meno comuni dando loro una nota fresca e di unicità. Alcune abitudini verso i gatti "leggermente" esagerate...ma alla fine scelte loro..consigliato a tutti!
Fefi
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, animali
Questo libro sembra un diario che narra della coabitazione tra umani e gatti,atteggiamenti che solo chi ha degli animali può ben comprendere. Lettura piacevole,ma ho perso parecchie volte la linea temporale degli avvenimenti,forse una storia vera e propria non c'è.
Kathy Govreau
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love his offbeat humor. A delightful read! What was not to love about this book!
Dana
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was far more hilarious than I thought it would be!
Sabrina Muzzi
un bel racconto molto "gattoso" da leggere con tanta tanta ironia. Molto piacevole
Eleclyah

Che cosa ci colpisce in un gatto? A volte è la vivacità, a volte il musetto, a volte la sua voglia di coccole.
Deric Longden si è fatto conquistare dal sorriso di quel micetto bianco che sedeva, come un piccolo re, sopra un secchio rovesciato nel giardino del suo vicino di casa. Fuori, da solo, tutto il giorno, anche sotto la pioggia. E si è sorpreso a cercarlo fuori dalla finestra, più di una volta, e poi a parlargli, e infine a farlo entrare in casa sua. Un micetto troppo carino...
... così tant
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
A woman I work with was talking with me about audiobooks one day and she told me about this book. She said she and her friend loved it so much they'd listened to it hundreds of times. She brought it to me so I could give it a listen. I've never read anything by Deric Longden before, but it looks like he tends to write about his own life, accompanied by embellishments to make the story more interesting.

This book is precious, and perfect for winter. Deric, being the main character and narrator, te
Ally Atherton
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A white kitten sits on an upturned bucket and waits for the right human.

A few months ago I received a couple of boxes of books for free and I've only read a couple of them so far. Most of them are obviously not my cup of tea and some of them look plain awful. But as I was struggling to find some inspiration I gingerly plucked this one out of one box.

I wasn't expecting it to be very good, let alone entertaining. But guess what? It's brilliant!

It tells the story of how Author and broadcaster Deric
Astrea333
Deric Longden Never Disappoints

Whether writing about his cats, his late wife, Diana, his present wife, Aileen, or his mother, he writes with a warmth, pathos, and humor I have never found in another writer. The Cat Who Came in from the Cold is the first of his three predominately cat oriented books and this is my third reading. Cat lover or not, however, it would be a mistake to overlook Lost for Words, an homage to his mother and her struggle following a stroke or Diana's Story which chronicles
Zoe
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book will make all cat - lovers smile and non - cat owners muse over their quirks. There's no real plot to the story, but what the book offers is a Day in the Life of a kitten called Thermal. Quirky stories of becoming red after have "an incident" with red wine, being "orchestrated" by the vet and climbing up trees via high sided vehicles. It is a lovely and fluffy (pun not intended) read, about two authors who spend endless hours writing books and with children not in the equation, the fel ...more
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Under the Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man
  • 101 Cataclysms: For the Love of Cats
  • The Cats of Seroster
  • Hiss and Tell
  • The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • The Taming of Annabelle (The Six Sisters, #2)
  • Three Singles to Adventure
  • The Cat Whisperer: The Secret of How to Talk to Your Cat
  • Jeremy & Amy: The Extraordinary Story of One Man and His Orang-utan
  • Vets Might Fly
  • Paw Tracks at Owl Cottage
  • Kaspar: Prince of Cats
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The New Yorker Book of Cat Cartoons