Start by marking “Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  10,319 Ratings  ·  451 Reviews
When Megan Murphy discovered a floppy-eared rabbit gnawing on the hem of her skirt, she meant to give its careless owner a piece of her mind, but Dr. Patrick Hunter was too attractive to stay mad at for long. Soon the two are making Thanksgiving dinner for their families.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanksgiving

Marianne
Thanksgiving is a pre-Plum romance by popular American author, Janet Evanovich. Megan Murphy is a potter who supplements her income dressed in period costume in her xx town. When she rescues a floppy-eared rabbit with strange appetites, its owner, paediatrician Patrick Hunter is entranced by this quirky redhead. But despite the attraction between them, neither wants to get involved: Megan is thrice-bitten and therefore involvement-shy; Pat is in no position to support a wife or the children he w ...more
Deniece
I don't know how I forced myself to finish this book.

Megan was the worst protagonist I've read in an adult novel, okay Anastasia(FSoG) is #1 but Megan is #2. She acted like a whiny preteen. Pat was just as bad. None of the characters were likable, I was sitting, waiting the story to get better but it never did. This really has me worried about Evanovich's other works, I'm not sure I want to read them if they're anything like this book.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This was an oldie but a goodie, pre Stephanie Plum romance by Janet Evanovich. In this story love at first sight is in evidence. It takes place in Williamsburg, VA. Megan Murphy is a potter/historical greeter who ran away from her hometown to start over. She had been left at the alter by her previous fiancee and she wanted a new beginning. Patrick Hunter, a pediatrician with a curious rabbit has just moved to Williamsburg to take over a practice from a retiring physician. When Megan rescues Pat' ...more
Cyndi
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janet, you've done it again! A light hearted romantic romp with a crazy family, slippery turkey, pregnant horse and a rabbit, all set to Thanksgiving in a reenactment village. Tons of fun for a quick read while the turkey cooks.
Alexis
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, my-reviews
Megan Murphy is a potter living and working in Colonial Williamsburg. A chance encounter puts her in the company of Dr. Patrick Hunter, the town's new pediatrician. Another freak encounter puts the two of them in charge of a baby. (That would be the romantic literary device of "putting the main characters into an improbable situation that forces them to remain in each others' company.")

It pains me to give Janet Evanovich so few stars. I love the Stephanie Plum series. I've re-read them multiple
Sidna
Oct 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! What an awful waste of paper and ink! My book discussion group read this book last November. It was chosen mainly for the title because the meeting date was near Thanksgiving. I did not read it then because I was going to be out of town on our meeting date. A friend was donating her copy to a used book sale that she and I were working so I told her I would read it since I missed it last year.

The young woman and man in the love story meet cute, immediately fall in lust, and within a couple
RavenclawReadingRoom
Another one of these books, another disclaimer: I'm only rereading them because I want to reread all the books I own and see which ones are worth keeping and which I should get rid of. Needless to say, this one goes into the second pile. Look, it had its entertaining moments. But despite Evanovich's attempts at modernising this story from the 80s, it still felt incredibly dated. Add in the fact that it features a couple meeting like a week before Thanksgiving, discussing marriage like three days ...more
Crystal
Jul 10, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans
Shelves: chick-lit
This is a fun, light-weight, easy read. I loved the fact that it was set in Colonial Williamsburg, which is a wonderful place to visit. Since I'd been there, I could envision what was going on in the story with greater clarity than most books I've read. the story itself is nothing exciting or new, and the interaction with the baby, as in any of her books, doesn't seem very realistic. but it's a cute thing to read when you don't want to think too hard and want to have that warm and fuzzy feeling ...more
Darcy
May 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, romance
I really like the Stephanie Plum series so thought I would give this book a try. I thought this one was very hokey and predictiable. Had I not been stuck in my car listening to it on CD, I wouldn't have finished it. It was painful.
Oona
Jul 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Teresa
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Let me begin by saying that I don't think it's impossible for two people to click right away and have such a strong attraction especially when thrown into a situation that makes it impossible to avoid the other... However, the relationship between the two protagonists was forced. Also, I am really tired of a woman doesn't cook or want children but as soon as she sees a baby she wants to be around the child all the time and all of sudden becomes this great mothering resource. Sure we all have par ...more
Jenny
Nov 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I make two commutes these days, so I decided to try listening to audio books as a way to distract me on the boring often-slow drive into work. I chose this Janet Evanovich book specifically because it was fluff and it would be okay if I didn't catch 100%.

Other than the description of Williamsburg, VA, this book is terrible. Here are just some of my complaints (and I made it just shy of finishing the second CD so I was just about at the halfway mark when I called it quits):

1. No one calls anyone
Debbie
Having just met the small town of Williamsburg’s new pediatrician (Dr. Patrick Hunter) with the corky sense of humor, Megan Murphy was stunned that a young girl would assume she was his wife and drop a baby (Timmy) off. Deciding to give the young women a few days to come back, Megan ‘agreed’ to help take care of the child. Patrick was surprised at how quickly he became attached to Megan and Timmy. The more he thought about it, her realized that he was not in the position to take a wife, and chil ...more
Donna
I have read many books by Janet Evanovich and the one thing I know I can look forward to is the humor. This book does not disappoint. If it doesn't make you laugh, it will definitely make you smile.

Dr. Hunter's pet rabbit keeps escaping and wandering around Williamsburg. Of course, the rabbit just loves to nibble on Megan Murphy's clothing. Megan is convinced that Dr. Hunter is an irresponsible pet owner and is irritated with him. Then a random woman leaves her baby with them, mistaking her for
Delta
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2015
I think this is only the second book I've read by Evanovich, and I'm not totally sure what all the hype is about. Once you realize that most of this book takes place over the course of about a fortnight, you start to realize just how ridiculous the story is. Within these two weeks, the main characters meet, are given a baby, kiss, "fall in love", sleep together, pretend to be married, have family over for Thanksgiving, plan/not plan on getting married, lose the baby, try to get pregnant, fight, ...more
Cheryl Gatling
I had to suspend about a couple tons of disbelief to swallow the premise that an MD who was handed a stray baby would not call social services. I understood that it was necessary for the plot that this man and this woman care for the baby themselves because it will draw them together, but the doctor would at least have filed a report or something. That fact alone made me think this one of the stupidest books I ever read. I was only able to tolerate it by viewing it as an old comic movie, maybe w ...more
Jessika

I liked it, in the way that I occasionally like to watch Hallmark movies because they are light and cheesy and they make me smile. This is, by no means, a literary classic, but I was in the mood for something lighter to read. I enjoyed the colonial Williamsburg setting, and I am definitely counting down the days to Thanksgiving now. Megan and Pat had me laughing with their antics, although I will admit that I did start to get frustrated wondering if they were ever going to get together.
Michelle
Right around Halloween I like to look for holiday themed books.
I found this one on a list.

Megan and Pat meet when Pats rabbit chews a hole through her skirt. They live in Williamsburg, VA.

Everything about this book is absurd. I'm supposed to believe a pediatrician would simply take a baby left in his care without calling authorities. I'm also supposed to believe a woman's maternal instincts suddenly go into overdrive just being around said abandoned baby.

I chuckled a bit but all of the outrageou
Amy "the book-bat"
This book fulfills requirement #3 - Romantic Comedy for the 2014 eclectic reader challenge.

Once again Janet Evanovich delivers the laughs. This romance is set at colonial Williamsburg. Megan works part time for the historical village and she finds a rabbit that chews on her costume skirt. The rabbit belongs to a pediatrician with a weird sense of humor. It is obvious that these two are destined to get together. BUT there are many obstacles in the way and the craziness ensues...
namericanwordcat
This romance sails right past madcap in manic. It is a ton of fun set in Colonial Williamsburg with a just out of med school Dr, a bunny, a baby, jalopies, and a redheaded potter. Phew.

I read a lo t of Janet Evanovich before the Stephanie Plum series and it is always a pleasure to revisit her category romances.

The sex is there but beyond closed door and towards the end the hero is just kind of a twit. It feels like the book ran out of breath but a good time is had by all.

Angela Holland
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good quick read. It is also the first book I have read by Janet. I really liked how the characters connected and jumped right in to take care of the baby. I loved the pretend family. I was a little frustrated with Pat and that he would not just hurry up and marry Meg. I liked the ending of the book as well.
E
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly one of my all time favorite "smut" novels...just absolutely hilarious. I remember I was lying on my side reading it and had to sit up b/c I was laughing so hard. Ms. Evanovich signed my copy at a book signing back in the 90s at Waldenbooks at Mongtomery Mall. That was pretty cool.
Debbie
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Plum fan, but like to read out of the series too. This book was OK and I could see some of the sense of humor that shows up in the Plum series. It was a really quick read and I will look for other early books by JE.
Shaunesay Eslanai
Read this one because I am an Evanovich fan, but I can also see why it didn't stay in print long the first time, it's kind of silly. But if you like Evanovich, and don't expect much, you should be fine. It's cute.
Annie
Listened to....awful!
Kendall Daley
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite one yet!
Ruth
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-series
LS # 289
Christie Brumley
This book is a great choice if your in the mood for a good laugh after finishing a dark more twisted read. You can always count on Evanovich for a good belly chuckle.
Brooke
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book! Laughing out loud in spots! Easy, light read. Just what I needed.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #68 Thanksgiving by Janet Evanovich 1 1 Apr 30, 2015 08:39AM
Insomnia Book Club: Thanksgiving by Janet Evanovich 13 6 Nov 29, 2011 12:01PM
  • Foul Play
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Ambushed! (McCalls' Montana #3)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Heart of Gold (Rainbow Chasers #1)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Darkest Touch (Demon Hunters, #3)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Captive
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • Sean's Reckoning (The Devaneys, #2)
More about Janet Evanovich...