Start by marking “The Body in the Gallery: A Faith Fairchild Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Body in the Gallery: A Faith Fairchild Mystery

The Body in the Gallery: A Faith Fairchild Mystery (Faith Fairchild #17)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  459 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Faith's catering business has been slow with the downturn of the economy, so when her friend Patsy Avery proposes that she take over the café at Aleford's Ganley Art Museum, it seems like a not-to-be-missed opportunity. And Patsy has an ulterior motive—she discovers that the Romare Bearden piece she lent the museum has been switched with a fake and wants Faith to snoop aro ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Body in the Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body in the Gallery

Bianca Andriese
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: cozy-mystery
WON on GOODREADS. This was my 1st Faith Fairchild Mystery and I enjoyed it, but.... I thought I had to wait too long to get to the murder (chapter 4). The story was "ok" - I thought Faith was too out of touch with her son and that story line was a bit too much. I do want to give anther try at reading another Faith Fairchild Mystery.
Lauren Fidler
despite a very slow start, this book was actually a decent little mystery. faith was neither perfect nor obnoxious (as i feared she might be based on her name alone). i do have a considerable soft spot for books set in massachusetts, even when the actual locale is "fictionalized" (meaning it's sort of like medford, sort of like alewife, it's aleford!!!). also, the recipes at the end feel a little gimmicky. that said, i'm planning on making red velvet cake very soon.

my biggest complaint isn't nec
Viccy
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 17th book in the long-running series by Katherine Hall Page. Faith Fairchild, wife of the Reverend Tom Fairchild, rector of the Aleford Episcopal Church returns to find out who murdered the woman with the shaved head floating in the fish tank of a contemporary art gallery. Faith has been asked by her friend, Patsy Avery, to investigate the disappearance of a Romare Bearden collage from the art gallery where Patsy is a trustee. Murder and mayhem ensue. Faith’s investigation is not hel ...more
Judy Goodnight
Faith expands her business by taking over the local art museum's café in order to look into some art skullduggery that results in a body in the gallery.

Having been with this series from the first book, I truly enjoy that characters - the Fairchild family, Pix & Sam Miller, Will & Patsy Avery, & the others in Aleford. It doesn't bother me that Faith's rather snobbish in matters of cuisine, clothing, and décor. What bothers me in this book is the secondary mystery of what's going on wi
Jan
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Goodreads Giveaways.
Busyness is my only excuse for not keeping up with this series for a number of years, how foolish of me! Faith Fairchild is a likeable protagonist who finds herself coming across a body in a different location with each book, and sleuths to solve the who-done-it with a cast of friends. In each one, the reader is exposed to learning whatever research the autho
K
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A new author for me, very similar to DM Davidson. A caterer/ministers wife/mother/miss marple runs busily through her life, but unfortunately finds dead bodies. this time in the art gallery. Her friend thinks her famous painting is a fake, her son is a teenager having issues, her business is expanding, her husband wants her home more, the busybody neighbor knows all--and she tries to help the police solve the crime. I found the plot similar to DMD and goldie, but I have read all those, so findin ...more
Carly McEathron
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favorite mysteries but VERY well written! I'll be perfectly honest and say that if I had more background knowledge of the characters I think I would have enjoyed it more, but stepping into a series at #17 (!!!) makes for a few hiccups in the character development.

I appreciate the author's realistic writing style, she's straight-forward and logical and doesn't coddle the reader like other "cozy mystery" writers do. I felt there was some unfinished business between Faith and Tom at
Joy
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I jumped right in with #17 of the Faith Fairchild mysteries. A rather pleasant but simplistic Christian novel. Faith is a caterer, married to a pastor, with two children. She apparently often finds herself in the midst of a murder scene. This time she find a body when she returns to the art gallery the morning after a reception she catered. Her husband fears for her safety, the police don't like her amateur sleuthing, but she is curious and has ideas to follow through. Marriage: "Ties that bind ...more
Ugh. I really dislike Brand Name writing (where all the nouns are proper nouns, like Sub-Zero and agnes b), and this book was filled with it. The exposition-by-criminal-as-they're-disposing-of-the-detective is another literary device I dislike. Beyond that, the book tried to do too much: mystery, social comment, recipes. I suspect that this is not an author thinking long term but one who realizes the product will be dated (much like Seinfeld reruns).
Lynn
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoy the character of Faith, but overall didn't enjoy this one as much. Tired of all the name dropping of fashions (and furniture in this one). Son's middle school issues were interesting (and scary as the mother of a child going to middle school next year), but by the end felt like it was used as a story line to educate the reader about an issue. Conclusion was disappointing after all the build up to the mystery.
Lain
Jan 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, a fab tale in which caterer and transplanted New Yorker Faith Fairchild must solve a local mystery or be killed in the process. This time the puzzle centers around a local art museum. Lots of twists and turns and curious folk, as well as some trouble brewing on the home front (i always enjoy that -- makes it seem more real!). There are a few loose ends, and questionable behavior that is allowed to go unremarked-upon, but overall, another strong entry in this great series.
Mary Lou
Apr 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary Lou by: Dee
If you forget the additional pp addressing food in art & recipes at the end of the book, you’d still have wasted a hell of a lot of words on me not just about food but also with details of fashion & furniture. The basic wife-of a minister (named Faith!) tale of handling teenagers AND a job wasn’t bad. Would I read another Faith Fairchild Mystery? Yes, if I had no options.
Mascanlon
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest in the Faith Fairchild Mystery series by Katerine Hall Page, small town minister's wife and local chef. What I really like about this series is the very clever plotting but the realistic view of small town life. A side story touches on the stress of 21st century junior high society and the real stress of bullying and peer pressure.
Deb
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has been in my purse for 2 weeks. I live in Lexington, so this series is almost set in my hometown. The mystery is always secondary to the lives of Faith and her friends and family, and poking fun at the Yankees. Since I am one of them, I wonder why I put up with that?

Faith misses Willow Pond kitchen, killed by the Minuteman National Park, and so do I.
Melissa
Sep 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith and Tom were more of a realistic couple, and I appreciated it. The issues that were brought up with Ben and the internet were also very true to life. The mystery corpse and the issues surrounding were also unique with her spin. I loved the recipes, and still enjoy all the descriptions of Faith's food.
Clare
I always enjoy the "Have Faith" books--I usually enjoy one after reading something more serious. This one was okay, although the ending seemed rather abrupt and a couple "red herrings" were unsatisfactorily explained.
Catherine Woodman
This series used to be better--it is ok, not at the level of the bed and breakfast mysteries, but not great. I did think she offered some sage advice on dealing with teens--not that anyone with teens could possibly follow it, but it was very good.
Tammy
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of the book thanks to a Goodreads giveaway win. It was a thoroughly read. My full review can be found here: https://protagonistspub.wordpress.com...
Patricia Gligor
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True to form, "The Body in the Gallery" by Katherine Hall Page was another great read. This is the third novel I've read in her Faith Fairchild mystery series and I look forward to reading the others.
Helga
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Early on there's a hint of a plot (piece of art stolen & replaced with a fake), but then it gets so bogged down with the history of the characters and the town that the plot is all but forgotten for a while.
Pam Roberts
Really 3 1/2. This series is better than a lot of the "caterer is detective" ones and, like all of them, has recipes at the end. This particular book is a good mystery, centering at the local art gallery, but also has an interesting and contemporary "family issues" story sideline.
Paul Secor
May 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A mediocre mystery - I had it figured out about a hundred pages in - padded with commentary about food - with recipes thrown in, parenting, and how to live the yuppie life in the suburbs of the Boston/Cambridge area.
Amy
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good traditional murder mystery and an enjoyable weekend read. Definitely will read more in this series.

I received this book from a goodreads giveaway but the opinions expressed are sole my own.
Beverly
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series. And this book was ok, but it just seemed to take me forever to read it. I don't know if it was because the book was slow moving or because I'm just so caught up in other things.
carol
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual-but by all means, read it if you've already started the series.
Colleen
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book--especially as I got further into it. I look forward to reading her next one in the series and even more forward to future ones to come!
ChrisGA
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the mystery and the glimpses of real life problems in the parsonage family. The constant name-dropping of designers and artists and MYC hot spots annoyed me.
Susan Abbott
I've read this entire series. Like so many series of this nature, in my opinion the first three books or so were the best. This is mildly entertaining and formulaic. A good airport read!
Ruth
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like these books about Faith Fairchild and her clergy husband. If you've never read them, start at the beginning and enjoy the ride.
Marjorie
Favorite series. The food descriptions, the recipes, the ideas for good stuff to eat. A mystery that does not reveal the culprit until the end. What's not to like?! Good reading.
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • Truffled Feathers (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch, #4)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • The Secret Ingredient Murders (Eugenia Potter, #6)
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
Katherine Hall Page is the author of fifteen previous Faith Fairchild mysteries, the first of which received the Agatha Award for best first mystery and the most recent of which, The Body in the Snowdrift, was honored with the Agatha Award for best novel. Page also won an Agatha for her short story "The Would-Be Widower." She lives in Massachusetts with her husband and son. (from the publisher's w ...more
More about Katherine Hall Page...

Faith Fairchild (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Body in the Kelp (Faith Fairchild, #2)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Body in the Vestibule (Faith Fairchild, #4)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • The Body in the Basement (Faith Fairchild, #6)
  • The Body in the Bog (Faith Fairchild, #7)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • The Body in the Bookcase (Faith Fairchild, #9)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)