Start by marking “A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)” as Want to Read:
A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)

A Simple Winter

(Seasons of Lancaster #1)

THE PROMISE OF A HOME,
THE HEARTBREAK OF AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE

Published October 18th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Winter

Kav
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book you just want to curl up with and read straight through from beginning to end. Unfortunately life got in the way and I had to do essential things like work and sleep, but the story so ensnared me that even when I wasn't reading, I found myself anticipating the next time I would be able to.

Remy captivated me right from the start, so clearly at a crossroads in her life -- questioning past hurts but not learning from them as she struggles to find her place in the world. Sh
Donna
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is my second novel by this author, which is really saying something because I was a little harsh with my first review. But alas, here I am again reading one of her books. I liked this one more than the first one. The two MC's were likable. I also liked that this wasn't about just one story line. The fluffy romance was front and center, but the murder mystery was a nice balance. This was probably 2.5 stars, but I struggled with some of the repetitive writing so 2 stars.
robin.hollis7755gmail.com
Fantastic read!

This book was one of the best Amish stories I have read to date! It had everything, romance, mystery, but best of all a happy ending!
J.C. Morrows
Oh my word. Can I possibly explain just how fantastic this book is without giving too much away about how everything turns out. A tough job but someone has to do it.

First of all, No slow start for this book. The intrigue starts in the first paragraph of the first chapter on the first page. We are immediately drawn into this story of heartbreak, loss and of feeling lost. The characters grab our attention and do not let go.

Rosalind Lauer is an excellent storyteller. She spins a story of mystery an
Emily Morris
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm rather surprised at myself for giving a full 5 stars to an Amish romance book, but after much though I can't find a reason not to. I became interested in reading this after I read the sequel "A Simple Spring" some months ago and thought it kind of cute. However, "A Simple Spring" pales in comparison to this, which is just flat-out a great novel: stellar writing, interesting characters, a great plot, and just an enjoyable read.

Remy McCallister first meets Amish Adam King on a train. A year la
Linore
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What makes me enjoy a book is not so much the setting but a good writer. Rosalind Lauer is that. I've read two "Amish" romances now, (this being my second) and, to my surprise, enjoyed both. In A Simple Winter you have winsome, well-drawn characters, deft portraits of Amish life (idealized, perhaps), and a sweet attraction between the hero and heroine. There's enough of a mystery to keep the pages turning, hints of darkness and sorrow, and yet an overall sense of goodness that wins the day. Add ...more
Jami
Nov 13, 2011 added it
I loved this book. I've wondered for quite a while what the attraction was to these Amish books. While at a recent romance writers conference, this book was given away in our goodie bags. Now I understand why Amish books are so popular. I'm buying the next one as soon as my new Kindle arrives in the mail.
Janice Albright
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters. I liked Remy, but I don't know if I could do what she did, go from Englisher to Amish. But, she found the family life with Adam and his family, that she wanted. She didn't get family from her father. Didn't care for him, but then you have to consider his wife died when Remy was young. I loved the mystery part and how Remy brought out the best in Simon, the little boy that saw what his mamm and dat went through. Remy was a reporter so the reporter in her brought out the ...more
Valory Kennedy
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I rarely give a book 5 stars but i really enjoyed this book. Every character was so alive and the story line was great. I am so glad I found this book and there is no doubt that I will read books from this author again.
Thank for a great clean mystery romance!
Joanne Brogan
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for a winter week in PA

Such a lovely escape from life in these turbulent times . A reminder that life could be simple, peaceful, filled with love.
A mystery solved, a love story.
I would recommend this book as an escape, a light jaunt thru a different culture.
Megann Zeigler
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New Author for me and I loved the book. Such a great story about God's putting us in the path we should follow.....
Megan Rang
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable Amish read.
Linda C Dotson
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read!

I couldn't put this book down. It was sweet, simple ,spiritual and just thee right amount of mystery. I love happy endings and this book fulfilled all my needs.
Amy "the book-bat"
This was my second Amish romance and I liked it a lot better than my first experience with the sub-genre. I did notice that a lot of the names were the same, even though the books were by different authors and set at different times in different towns. I guess there are a lot of the same families in the Amish communities. This story was a little different in that the Amish man fell in love with an Englisher woman. There was also a murder mystery woven through out the story. I was very pleased wi ...more
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Title: A SIMPLE WINTER
Author: Rosalind Lauer
Publisher: Ballantine Books
October 2011
ISBN: 978-0-343-52671-7
Genre: Amish/romance

Remy McCallister is forced to drop out of college when she starts having seizures and her father pulls the plug on her education. Yet, going home is the last thing she wants to do. Remy doesn’t have a good relationship with her father and dreads being there with him and his new girlfriend, who seems to only think Remy exists to beg money from her dad.

Adam King left the A
Dichotomy Girl
3.5 Stars, and probably one of the best of the Amish books that I've read this year, (I know, I know, I swore I was done after the debacle of the last one, but I saw this at the e-library and couldn't resist), but still a bit unrealistic (though, let's face it, we don't read any kind of Romance story for its realism .

The unrealistic portion for me was probably (view spoiler)
Rev. Linda
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish, christian
From the publisher: As a budding journalist with a major newspaper, Remy McCallister is eager to prove herself. While investigating an unsolved crime, Remy winds up in the tightly woven Amish community of Lancaster County, the last place she would ever expect to find herself. The story leads her to Adam King and his ten younger siblings, who are trying to sustain their warm, loving home in the wake of the murder of their parents. Although Remy tries to remain professional, she is captivated by t ...more
Terri
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
'A Simple Winter' by Rosalind Lauer is a sweet tale of a young woman who gets involved with an Amish community that is turned upside down when a mother and father of eleven children are murdered. Remy suffers from seizures and as a result is forced to drop out of college and move back home. On the way, she meets a young Amish man on the train and from there, their lives would never be the same. After joining her father's newspaper, Remy decides to write a story on the death of Adam's parents. Wh ...more
Deborha Mitchell
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review for A SIMPLE WINTER by Rosalind Lauer

“Forgiveness is like a three-pronged fork. There's forgiveness from the person you wronged. Forgiveness from God. And then, you've got to forgive yourself.”

This quote from the book tells it all. This is a lovely story about love and forgiveness. I admit that I really haven't read many books about the Amish, but this book makes me want to read more about them. A simple life, yet a hard life......
Rosalind Lauer did a wonderful job bringing her characters
Mayda
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Simple Winter is anything but a simple tale. From the very beginning of this story, with the murder of an Amish couple, to the satisfying ending, the reader will be engrossed in this fascinating tale. Rosalind Lauer does a masterful job of weaving together elements of mystery, romance, inspiration, and faith into an intriguing tale that you won’t want to put down. By the time you finish the novel, you will think of these characters as old friends, and you’ll want to know more about them and th ...more
Betty
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a wonderful and heart warming story. Remy McCallister is headed home t Philadelphia from college after her father cut off funding. She meets an interesting man, Adam King, during her trip home and they strike up a friendship. Adam is also on his way home to Lancaster, Penna. to help out his ten siblings that have been left orphans after their parents were murdered. Their friendship is short lived as each must go their own way. Remy begins working for her father at a major news ...more
PeggyAnn  Smith
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgiveness is a God Thing

Forgiveness is a God Thing

I have always enjoyed reading about the simplicity of The Amish way of life.
In so many ways I think we all crave simpler ways but are caught up in the hustle
and bustle of the more frenzied chaotic modern world. We love our Technologies
but hate the manic life style they create. So, maybe just stepping into that quieter
slower lifestyle even in a Novel...allows us a sweet taste of the good things in life...
Faith, Friends and Family...devoted to th
Janet
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.

Remy, who works for her father at the Post, meets an Amish man, Adam on the train. He is returning to Lancaster County after the death of his parents, to take over raising his 10 siblings.
They strike up a conversation and once they go their seperate ways - Remy pitches his story to the paper. The paper send her to Lancaster Country for a follow up to the murder of Adam's parents.
Afraid of how Adam will react to her being a reporter she friends the family and ends up s
Deborah Poston
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish-romance
Remy McCallister has grown up with a distant father and a yearning to find love and family. As a young journalist at a major newspaper, she is looking for a story that will please her editor. Her search leads her to the unsolved murder of the Kings, an Amish couple who left behind eleven children. Remy discovers that she has met the oldest son, Adam King, and decides to to talk to him about doing a story about his parent's murder. However, what Remy discovers is more than a story. She finds a fa ...more
Tina Watson
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-read
This was the first time for me to read a book written by Rosalind Lauer and her Amish series will be a repeat for me in the future.

I loved this book because Rosalind Lauer had a way with using the right words to draw her readers into the book, to make you feel like you were right there living the scene with the characters too.

I tell ya' I didn't see the "who?" for the murderer coming as I was reading.
Barbara J. Harbison
Fantastic read -small spoiler alert

Fantastic read -small spoiler alert

As a former resident of Lancaster county (and I am moving back), it is always great to read stories about the people there. We were there this Sunday and passed many buggies on the roads.
This book was full of the good things about the Amish. It was a book that I had problems putting down when I really needed to go to bed. While I truly find it hard to believe that a woman wants to convert to the Amish ways, I am sure it happe
Melissa
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
This book was very enjoyable. It was interesting to watch a girl that had many material things transform into a woman who understands what is really important. I already understood that the home and family is important to to the Amish since I have read many Amish fiction and nonfictions books before. This book allowed me to experience the wonder, warmth and faith of the Amish through the eyes of Remy. My favorite quote is "Sometimes, you have to put forgiveness into action, and the feelings insi ...more
Carolyn E
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story!! I loved this book; could not put it down. I am looking forward to reading the next book, A Simple Spring.

Update 09/29/14: Somehow, I never got around to reading the second and third books in this series, so I decided to re-read the first book before going on to the next two. This book is even better the second time around. I loved it!! I highly recommend it!
Sara
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I won this from Goodreads, and was hoping this was not another cookie-cutter Amish book. That being said, I can honestly say this is the best Amish book I have read to date. It is part romance, part mystery, which adds more excitement and depth to the characters and plot. I liked the realistic interaction between the characters, making them seem like real people, not the "perfect" personalities sometimes typical in Christain fiction. Although fairly predictable, there were surprises, too. This i ...more
Grace
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amish-fiction
Remy McCallister and Adam King meet on a train when headed home to Pennsylvania. Adam, an Amish man, is heading home to take care of 10 siblings after the death of both parents. Remy, who has also lost her mother, is headed home to work as a journalist at her father's newspaper due to some health issues.

A great all around Amish fiction book about love, trust and forgiveness. The plain life is depicted to be a quiet life filled with love and hardships along the way.

If you love Amish fiction you'l
  • Hannah's Journey (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #1)
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion (Miller Family, #4)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • Miriam's Heart (Hannah's Daughters, #2)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • A Plain & Fancy Christmas
  • An Amish Gathering: Life in Lancaster County
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana, #1)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • The Heart's Frontier (The Amish of Apple Grove, #1)
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
Rosalind Lauer grew up in a large family in Maryland and began visiting Lancaster County’s Amish community as a child. Lauer attended Wagner College in New York City and worked as an editor for Simon & Schuster and Harlequin Books. She now lives with her family in Oregon, where she writes in the shade of some towering two-hundred-year-old Douglas fir trees.

Seasons of Lancaster (3 books)
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • A Simple Autumn (Seasons of Lancaster #3)
“don’t always understand what God has in store for us, but even through our sadness, He is in control.” 0 likes
“It stands for Jesus first, You are last, and Others are in between.” 0 likes