Start by marking “The Girlfriend Curse” as Want to Read:
The Girlfriend Curse

The Girlfriend Curse

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  755 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
It's uncanny! Within six months of breaking up with her, Peg Silver's ex-lovers always meet and marry the women of their dreams. Even worse than being the eternal bridesmaid, she's the last girlfriend, the one who awakens in a guy theknowledge of what he's always wanted in a relationship ... and it's never with Peg. Obviously, a major lifestyle change is seriously called f ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Girlfriend Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girlfriend Curse

Roxanne
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a massive massive sucker for romance/comedy books and "The Girlfriend Curse" really hit it for me. I thought it was going to be one of those predictable girl meet boy, girl/boy fall in love kind of story but it wasn't, there were so much twists and unpredictable things happening, my imagination went crazy. I actually laughed so much on the sex jokes, yes, there are sex jokes, i didn't expect them but they were there and the thing is, i usually get a bit uncomfortable reading about people ma ...more
Lora
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In all honesty, I'd give this book a 2.5. I didn't love it but I didn't dislike it either. The premise is interesting but I have to say that I found the characters rather ridiculous. Are there really people in the world like this? And this isn't my first Frankel book, and I'm no prude, but the language is pretty crude at times. I don't feel like her descriptions of sex or male/female genitalia needed to be so rude and it didn't add anything to the story for me.
Michelle
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
one of those lay on the beach, useless mind clutter. mildly entertaining.
TaleTerror
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic novel!

Characters were great to read, they never bored me, the plot was the best thing about this book and the writing was funny and quirky that made me laugh in places and others that i just couldnt supress a smile in if i wanted too.

Peg is the ultimate last girlfriend, a year of dating then six months after the breakup all Peg's ex's have changed minds and get hitched. So she picks up and leave's New York City behind and moves to Vermont. Meets Ray on the train, her house is
Kelly Morrissey
A perfect beach read. You'll laugh as you follow the big life change of the sarcastic Peg- a woman who realizes she's the last girlfriend of her exes. Pick this up if you want something easy and entertaining. There will be at least one character you relate with.
Chellii
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable! I laughed out loud several times.
Tasha
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy read
This book belongs in the Sex and the City era... it felt almost too dated even though it was only written in the early 2000s. But somewhere around 3/4 through the book, I started to see the charm in it.
Lauren
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Peg is getting over her ex when he calls her for a reunion. Thinking they may be getting back together, she agrees to meet with him but when he brings his fiancee, Peg can't take it anymore. Looking back at all her ex's, she finds that almost all of them got engaged with the next person they started dating after Peg. Peg is the chronic last girlfriend. She decides she needs to get out of New York and start fresh.

Peg buys a home on a huge plot of land in Vermont and moves there. On the train, sh
Patrice
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I received this book as a gift for Christmas 2006. Life tends to get in the way and I hadn't read it until now. It is a contemporary romantic comedy. Peg Silver is the main character who finds out that her ex-boyfriends from the past few years or so have all married, or are about to marry, the girl they dated after their break-up with Peg, hence the title of The Girlfriend Curse. Peg’s best friend, Nina, hired a private investigator to see if it was true, after she ran into a few of Peg’s exes. ...more
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at a library book sale because I had read "The Accidental Virgin" by Frankel and really enjoyed it. This book was written after TAV and was also good, but not quite as good as TAV. I was pleasantly surprised that Stacy Temple from TAV was featured in the book and we got an update on her life. I read a fair bit of it ON the beach, so it was definitely light.

It got a little silly at the end, which slightly turned me off. Frankel gives readers resolution on several characters in
Linda Katzman
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder where your ex boyfriends are now? When Peg Silver’s most recent ex calls her up to thank her for making him a better man and introduce her to his fiancé, best friend Nina and her become curious about the rest of her ex boyfriends. The private eye Nina hired tells them that all of her ex boyfriends have gotten married within six month of dumping her. Peg decides to do something about it. She packs her bags and moves to Vermont. To break the curse of being the last girlfriend, she enro ...more
Casey Leigh
An enjoyable read with a quirky storyline.

I liked, and could (sadly) relate to the premise of the tale and the main character.
Feeling cursed when things aren't going the way you thought they were, time and time again, leads to deciding to shake things up and making a lifestyle change. Added to this is personal interaction with new and interesting people at a retreat like location.

Witty banter, misunderstandings, physical and mental challenges all make The Girlfriend Curse an enjoyable read.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the synopsis at the back of the book I expected this to be a light good hearted book about finding love and I was not disappointed. I liked the main characters and secondary characters and the author put them in enough unexpected situations that the reader was not bored by overused romantic situations. The snappy comments were funny and entertaining in addition to re-enforcing the personalities of the characters. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. This is the first book that I ...more
Diana
A chance encounter with an ex-boyfriend makes Peg realize that her last six boyfriends have all gone directly from breaking up to her to meeting and marrying their future wives. Disheartened with New York's dating scene, she packs up and heads to Vermont, and attend an Inward Bound retreat to relearn dating, run by sexy psychologist Linus.

A very different heroine, who is not quite neurotic and still very fun. The story itself was vaguely interesting, but a little on the bland side. It meandered
Rochelle
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book had such potential. The plot seemed appealing and romantic. I couldn't relate to the main character Peg at all. She was way too confident and thought every man she met wanted to sleep with her. I like the secondary characters a lot. I feel like the author developed them more than the hero Linus. I would have like to know more about him. All in all it was a fun read with a happy ending.
Linda
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has ever had any trouble dating and is ready to laugh about it
Shelves: borrowed
I enjoy reading a book that makes you laugh out loud and this one definitely does that. You can actually picture the main character going through everything that happens and relate to it, even if you've never had such an experience. Unfortunately, Ms. Frankel needs a new editor/publisher/whoever because this edition was loaded with typos, which I found to be distracting and slowed me down a bit. Overall, a great funny story that everyone should read.
Julie
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little put off by the content at first but once I got over that I really enjoyed it. It lost a star because of the language and some crudeness. She's got her mind in the gutter but it was spun in a humorous way. A comical book with some really good insight on some things I know now but didn't know then reasons for being single.
Arisha
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book: If you give men sex right away, they'll eventually leave you for someone else. BUT if you wait for three whole weeks and then strip as soon as possible after he confesses his love for you, he'll marry you within a year. I think this book wanted to have some sort of message for women about respecting themselves, but it missed the mark.
Rafa
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i enjoyed reading this book, it is kinda predictable but it is not your ordinary boy meets girl and fell in love kind of thing :) if you are looking for something light to read, read this one!
Rafa xx
Kristine
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
It was ok. I felt it could have ended wayyyy earlier than it did. Also, the author repeats too much of the content. I felt like I could have skimmed whole pages of the book, and would have still read the book.
Kathy Pham
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any girl whose ex boyfriend marries the next girl he's with after her
Guys suck. And sometimes by putting your foot down and not dealing with their BS they finally wise up so they don't lose another great girl. But eventually you'll find the guy who's not a fixer upper - he'll be as fabulous as you.
Tiffany L.
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
About a gal whose ex's always end up married within 6 months of breaking up with her. So she figures out how to end the curse. Wasn't anything earth shattering, but an easy chic lit read. I did lol at a few things.
Melanie
Apr 09, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was unimpressed with this book. It was really hard to get through. I am usually a big fan of all of Frankel's work. This book was boring and unoriginal. I never felt like I got to know the characters very well. It did have some funny parts.
Shana Banana
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. I was a little unsure at first but as the story progresses you don't want to put it down. There is a a lot of pyscho babble, self help stuff thrown in...what women do wrong in relationships. Good stuff:).
Dawn
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy and enjoyable read.
Dev
Sep 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2005, chicklit
This is the first book I've read by Ms. Frankel. Based on it, I would definitely read future titles by this author. The book was comical and the characters pretty well developed.
Kim
Sep 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Started cursing while reading it, so I'm done.
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy
Good enough to keep my interest for a one day read and tries to keep us guessing to the bitter end. It isn't one I'll pass on to my friends and say it's a must read. It had its moments.
Terri
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a girl book just for the joy of being a girl book.
  • Pick Me Up
  • Making Mischief
  • Claire Voyant
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • Confessions of a Serial Dater
  • Hand-Me-Down (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • The Botox Diaries
  • The Breakup Club
  • If Andy Warhol Had a Girlfriend
  • Lost for Words
  • The Chalet Girl
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
She's written twenty books (e.g., The Accidental Virgin and The Girlfriend Curse), and contributed to dozens of publications including the New York Times, Self, Allure, Glamour, Parenting and Good Housekeeping. Her memoir, Thin Is the New Happy, about overcoming bad body image after 30 years of dieting and self-loathing, was recently described as "Rueful, zestful and surprisingly funny," by the Ne ...more
More about Valerie Frankel...
“Women get into a relationship hoping a man will change, and he never does; men get into a relationship hoping the woman don't change, but she always does. Men want their partners to be consistent. That they won't make impromptu impossible demands nor baffle him with classically female sudden-onset hysterical behavior.” 17 likes
“When you look in the mirror, it's usually to fix your hair or put on makeup. To examine your body searching for problem areas. We look at ourselves to see the flaw, not beauty. And we look at predictable times, in the morning, after using the bathroom, before bed. We hardly ever see ourselves when we aren't prepared for inspection. But only when you're unprepared can you see your true self, your true beauty.” 15 likes