Start by marking “Naked” as Want to Read:
Naked

Naked

London, 1976: a summer of chaos, punk, love . . . and the boy they called Billy the Kid.

It was the summer of so many things. Heat and violence, love and hate, heaven and hell. It was the time I met William Bonney - the boy from Belfast known as Billy the Kid.

Published 2011 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Naked, please sign up.
Sarah Also ich fand das Buch echt gut auch wenn ich weder zur Punkszene noch zum Nordirlandkonflikt wirklich Bezug habe. Die Geschichte ist vorallem am Ende…moreAlso ich fand das Buch echt gut auch wenn ich weder zur Punkszene noch zum Nordirlandkonflikt wirklich Bezug habe. Die Geschichte ist vorallem am Ende sehr emotional... Am Anfang war es meiner Meinung nach aber auch etwas langatmig .(less)

Jo
Some of the best books I read are the ones I stumble on accidentally. I can’t even remember why I decided that I might like this book. I’m not a huge fan of the 70s. I have an aversion against bands in YA fiction. I’d never even heard of Kevin Brooks.

So why would I read this YA book about a fictional band in the 70s… written by Kevin Brooks?
Maybe I was feeling particularly crazy that day.
I don’t know, but I did and it was brilliant. Seriously, it was brilliant.
If I could sum up what this book wa
L A i N E Y
“You can’t make them unhappen. You can’t just leave them behind, because once they’ve happened, they’re part of you, part of your past, and their memories become part of your present, and their consequences become part of your future.

Things that happen become you.

And you can never leave yourself behind.”

I don’t think I can sufficiently made you understand how impressive the writing was: it was infused with emotions. How Kevin Brooks (who was totally obscure to me before picking this up!) wrote
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I’d never read a Kevin Brooks book before this one but I know a lot of people rave about his writing so when I got the review request, even though it didn’t totally look like my kind of thing, I decided to give it a chance!

Each character in this book was so unique and different from the next and that was something I really loved. The main character, Lili, is quite sweet and innocent at the beginning and a massive contrast to Curtis, the boy who takes her under his wing. In one way, I kind of th
Jo Bennie
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b
This is the best book I have read in a long time. The Troubles (the ethno-nationalist conflict in Northern Ireland during the late 20th century) may be living memory for any of us over 30 but for teenagers they are history and a new book is needed to replace the likes of Joan Lingard's excellent Across the Barricades. Naked fills this space brilliantly with a narrative seen through the eyes of naive teenage girl experiencing sex, first love and painful loss of innocence during a blazing summer.

I
Brin
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Kevin Brooks book I've read but it will definitely not be the last. This was a raw, exciting novel set in the burgeoning world of punk. The main character is Lili, a young classically trained musician who finds herself swept into this dirty, unglamorous music scene that began sweeping its way through 70's-era England. She finds herself becoming the bassist of a group called 'Naked' but is never really sure if she fits into this world.

The characters are at the heart of this nove
Cristina M.
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bellissimo! Consigliatissimo a chi come me vuole una romanzo ambientato nel mondo reale e che abbia verosimiglianza, personaggi davvero ben caratterizzati e perciò indimenticabili, e perché no?, una buona dose di citazioni e conoscenze musicali. Qui c'è tutto questo e anche qualcosa in più.
I protagonisti sono liceali solo all'apparenza, perché la loro "testa" e la loro esperienza vanno ben oltre la scuola frequentata (a cui si accenna pochissimo) e la data anagrafica di nascita. Sono uomini e do
Adele
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was stupid, boring, and pointless. Maybe someone who was really into the origins of the punk music scene would enjoy it. I honestly don't know. I considered giving it one star, but I have this odd feeling about how no-one forced me to read it, and I could have stopped at any time, so it couldn't have been that bad, right? And it didn't offend and the ending didn't ruin it or anything so . . .
Kirsty
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Naked is one of those books by a well established author that you just know is going to be huge. While not entirely for me as I'm not sure I'm into the topic it covered I enjoyed reading it and I'm sure someone far more into music than me (or someone who can remember those early days of Punk) will devour and love it.

The thing that struck me most about this book is that the main characters voice is so brilliantly realistic. Reading this is actually like reading the diary of a teenage girl (grante
Emma
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guest-reviews
Review by Arthur 8:8

I was completely engrossed from the very first page: The story starts off with a woman, Lili, looking back on the year 1967 and what later followed. This is the time where she met two people that changed her life: Will and Curtis. Curtis was always known to be the rebellious bad boy at school. Everyone loved him, wanted to be like him or be with him. And so, it came a great surprise to Lili, when she got asked to audition for his band 'NAKED' even though she had no prior expe
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh mio dio, non ero per niente pronta alla tristezza di questa storia.. Pensavo di leggere qualcosa di spensierato e allegro, invece mi sono trovata tra le mani un libro intenso e tanti kleenex...
DarkMiryam
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Da bassista non potevo certo non farmi prendere da un libro in cui la protagonista suona il basso in un gruppo punk (genere con il quale ho cominciato pure io).

E questo libro mi ha presa moltissimo, specialmente per quanto riguarda la prima parte: il reclutamento nella band, la ricerca dei membri mancanti - dinamica in cui mi sono rivista tantissimo! - , i primi concerti, le opportunità...

Un po' troppo romantico-mielosa la seconda parte, ma comunque accettabile.
I protagonisti sono stati descri
Nathalie
3,5/5
Charlotte
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenage-fiction
Erin Sterling
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A student asked me for a tragic romance list recently, and this would fit the bill. But it's also great for those interested in the origin of punk music, not to mention that it also deals with conflict in Ireland and the IRA. I devoured this book, although the writing was a little...removed? I'm not sure I can explain it but it's basically a look-back at this year from the life of a girl in a punk band.
Art Child
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5/5 ⭐, only because of William's storyline (which was the only thing that kept me interested enough to finish the book). ...more
Kazun Dakxhina
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its the awesome story i have ever read
Frency  camminando tra le pagine
3,5 stelline.
RECENSIONE A CURA DEL BLOG CAMMINANDO TRA LE PAGINE: http://camminando-tra-le-pagine.blogs...

“Naked – brucia ancora, rompi le regole” di Kevin Brooks è un romanzo young adult pubblicato dalla Piemme ad aprile di quest’anno. Ammetto con tutta onestà che questa uscita l’ho notato appena, in libreria lo avevo visto appoggiato sugli scaffali, ma sono sempre passata oltre senza degnarlo di uno sguardo attento e senza leggere la trama per vedere se potesse interessarmi. Poi qualche giorn
Lichi
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Ohh ich war richtig geknickt als ich die letzte Seite erreichte.
Zum einen weil ich doch noch etwas Hoffnung hatte und zum anderen weil es ein wirklich angenehmes Buch zum Lesen war.
Die Hauptfiguren wirken realistisch und zu der Zeit sehr passend.
Handlungen und Story sind durchdacht und nachvollziehbar.
Nicht nur für Junge Leute ein schöner Roman ;D

Kira
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
das Buch hat mich doch sehr überzeugt!
Ash McKenna
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I've kept William's secrets for a long time, but now things have changed and I have to tell the truth. But I can't begin until I've told you about Curtis Ray. Hip, cool, rebellious Curtis Ray. Without Curtis, there wouldn't be a story to tel
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
Romance and Fantasy for Cosmopolitan Girls
"Il mio cuore è nato nella lunga estate rovente del 1976.
Fu allora che la mia vita iniziò,il mio amore fu sigillato, la mia anima si perse e si infranse.
Fu l’estate di molte cose - calore e violenza, amore e odio, sogni e incubi, paradiso e inferno - e riguardando a quel periodo adesso, è difficile distinguere il bene dal male.
Era tutto puro e marcio.
Allo stesso tempo, indissolubilmente.
Senza distinzione.
Era l'estate dei miei diciassette anni. Un'estat
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
The story begins with a women reminiscing to a time in 1976. The year she came across both William and Curtis. Both would change her life, forever. Curtis has always been the cool, rebellious, bad boy in school. Both boys and girls adore and admire him, so when he catches her playing on the piano and gazing at her with his intense eyes she can't help but feel her heart flutter. She's ordinary and nothing special in her opinion so when he asks her to audition for his band "NAKED" she's shocked bu ...more
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally posted on Fluttering Butterflies

Oh how much did I adore Naked by Kevin Brooks?! If I'm honest, I was slightly worried about it beforehand. Even though I'm becoming an increasingly bigger fan of Kevin Brooks with each of his novels that I read, I was still a little bit wary about reading a book set in the late 1970s AND a book about punk rock. Mostly because I wasn't born in the late 70s and have almost no knowledge of punk rock.

Even so, I loved this book to bits. Kevin
SJH (A Dream of Books)
This is the first Kevin Brooks book I've read. He's an incredibly popular author and as I've been wanting to read one of his novels for a while I was excited about the opportunity to review his new title. I also discovered while reading the press release that he hails from my home town so I was doubly pleased!

The main thing I enjoyed about 'Naked' was the way in which Kevin Brooks really captured the essence of the seventies and set about recreating the culture of the day, including the differen
Frezanda
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mina
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh.My.God. I can't even begin to express how much I loved Naked. For me, it has to be one of the best books I've ever read. It was just THAT good. It had everything a perfect book needs. The first thing in Naked which got me hooked was the catch line. 'Live Fast, Play Dirty, Get NAKED'. Totally catchy right? And it totally sums up the story. Naked has romance, hardship, despair and a great bonus, music that reaches you to the very core!

Naked starts off with a woman, Lili, reminiscing in the yea
Rhys
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on ThirstforFiction.com

It’s 1976 and the punk genre comes into the spotlight in the music scene of London. Amidst them is Naked, a band comprised of sixteen year old Lili and boyfriend Curtis, Stan the drummer, and a Belfast boy named William. Their music is good, they’ve got their act together, and Curtis hopes to be signing a record deal soon. But things soon start coming in the way, and William is a lot more than he seems to be…

Kevin Brooks’ prose comes across with in
Tricia
This has to be my favourite Kevin Brooks novel so far. I read it over four days and I could feel how the characters were growing and changing, how they were going somewhere and I was going with them. I was born far too late to know how accurately this novel depicts the 70s, but I can safely say it's extremely well-written. I could smell the booze, feel the energy, experience the violence. Everyone says this, but there's no better way to say it: I felt like I was there.

I didn't expect Brooks to w
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
Having really enjoyed iBoy by Kevin Brooks I jumped at the chance to review this one. Set in the summer of 1976, it is an atmospheric and realistic tale of a girl's experiences. I was completely and utterly gripped!

Lili is a wonderful character - I loved her and felt that I really understood her. Curtis was someone that I hated and was enthralled by in equal measure - so I perfectly understood why Lili let him get away with what she did. William was by far my favourite character - I loved him an
  • Being Billy
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
  • An Act of Love
  • Jasmine Skies
  • Rockoholic
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • All Fall Down
  • Losing it
  • Inside My Head
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Kill All Enemies
  • One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #1)
  • Angel's Fury
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • We Can Be Heroes
  • Black Heart Blue
Kevin Brooks was born in 1959 and grew up in Exeter, Devon, England. He studied Psychology and Philosophy at Birmingham, Aston University in 1980 and Cultural Studies in London in 1983. Kevin Brooks has been in a variety of jobs including: musician, gasoline station attendant, crematorium handyman, civil service clerk, hot dog vendor at the London Zoo, post office clerk, and railway ticket office ...more

Things that happen become you.

And you can never leave yourself behind.”
0 likes