Start by marking “Heart on a Chain” as Want to Read:
Heart on a Chain

Read eBook

Heart on a Chain

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  16,903 ratings  ·  1,021 reviews

Henry Jamison moved away six years earlier, just
Published January 15th 2011 (first published December 22nd 2010)

·  16,903 ratings  ·  1,021 reviews

Alex
Sep 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Sita
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Heart on a chain is such a beautiful book, let me just start by saying that I rarely ever cry during books. I cried reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and that was about it. I am not saying that I never cry. I cry. I cried watching despicable me, for goodness sake. I saw it in the theatres and my friend was silently laughing while these silent tears rolled down my cheeks. I went into a hysterical fit while watching Bambi and Dumbo.

description

I even laugh so hard I cry at the dinner table; yep I’m a cr
Nicole Williams
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I walked away from feeling like it had made me a better person. Heart on a Chain reminded me to stand up for those who are unable to stand up for themselves and to never judge a "girl" by her cover. Masterfully written, emotion-invoking, and a happy ending. This was book love for me.
Jessica
If you feel like torturing yourself, go ahead and read this. Heart on a Chain is as heart-wrenching, gut-clenching and tear-jerking as it gets. I devoured this in almost no time; ending up a sobbing mess more than just once. Kate’s fate is awful and her story painful to read but on the other hand there are a lot of beautiful moments and Henry truly is an angel. I really enjoyed this, even if the story got a little overdramatic at times but altogether I’m glad I’ve read this.
Kelli
Amanda
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved the character development and the slow reveal of what happened to the main character.

At the beginning, Kate just seems shy and meek. Eventually you find out that she has a lot of issues that she has kept hidden for such a long time.

When you feel like this poor girl just can't keep going, finally there is relief with the appearance of Henry. Henry's persistance and good nature is a welcomed sunshine into their gloomy life.

Sadly, the terror comes to a head, but Henry and his family step
Sandy
Cindy C. Bennett, you know how to make me cry. I'm not much of a book crier, but you've made me weep through not just one book, but TWO. You have some magic button that just unleashes my tear ducts so that I find myself sobbing while reading. And then, you add these crazy-good, awwww endings that make me smile through my tears. May we have some more, please?

I devoured Cindy's book Geek Girl and couldn't stop thinking about it. Her writing and characters draw me in and make me feel like I'm prese
Rejane
Not a review. Just a reminder
From

Nov 15, 2011 Alex

(view spoiler)
Anesha †Curious & Obsessive Bookworm†
As his mouth comes down to mines, my heart lifts free of its burden and soars.
I'm back where I belong

5 STAR HEARTS~~!!!

It gets me so giddy just thinking about it. And gosh dangit don't I love a book that leaves me all fuzzy and warm? Sends me on a roller-coaster, demanding I experience such a simple yet powerful read?

This book gone and done it

We enter Kate, who's life is like living hell.
All Kate wants to do is be invisible. Get through high school and away from the bullying she's subjected to
Aestas Book Blog
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A YA story about surviving child abuse, about learning that everyone is worthy of love, and about the strength of forgiveness.

Henry grew up in school with Kate. He fell in love with her on the first day of kindergarten when she befriended him, and with a big smile, made him feel welcome and since then they became best friends. Until, one summer, his family moved away.

Six years later, its the senior year of high school. With an alcoholic father who is too drunk to notice that her prescrition-dr
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Spoiler Free Review
5 STAR READ
Genre: YA Romance
Warning- the subject matter in this book is very raw. If you can not handle reading a book with child abuse i would not suggest you read this book.

Heart on a chain is about about a young girl named Kate entering her senior year of high school. Kate's mom is a pill popper and her dad is an alcholic. Home is no fun; dad beats mom, mom beats Kate. And it's not only at home does Kate suffer but at school she is bullied by both the male and female studen
ILoveBooks
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never judge a girl by her cover. The main character, Kate, has lived with abuse her whole life. She is very resilient and strong, wonderful qualities to see in a female character. She deals with her alcoholic father and drug-addicted mother on a regular basis, sometimes coming out the worse for wear. Some might see her refusal to stand up for herself as a shame and weak, and it might be; however, Kate is also a proud character, possibly a bad trait in this situation, but it works as a character ...more
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Okay - I bit and I'm glad I did. This book was a GR recommendation for me based on books I've rated. It isn't typical for me to read a YA, so was skeptical, but I read the book blurb and thought about my kids and some of their freinds and decided to try it. Very glad I did.

The premise for this book is a childs courage in handling tragedy dealt by a parent. How the love of a freind can be comforting and redeeming. And, in the end, we can survive and come out on the other end, with the support of
Esther
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just... Wow! Such a beautiful and heartbreaking book. I cried like a baby reading this story, you spend the book in emotional highs and lows.

I like the character development of Kate. She is strong and brave, and has a great capacity to keep going and forgive.

Henry is the perfect guy that any girl in this world wants, it’s impossible to find fault to him. He is sweet and real, and his family is amazing.

Totally recommended!
Christy
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a beautiful book. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time, it had me tearing up in some parts and smiling like a fool at others!
Vicki Keire
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable piece of YA Indie fiction. This book was a bit out of my normal parameters, which lean a bit more towards the paranormal and dark fantasy, but it's been receiving rave reviews on Amazon. After reading Tabitha Suzuma's Forbidden, I've been eager to venture into some of the grittier realistic YA fiction. This novel is certainly that. I found myself in tears several times throughout the novel, and as much as I wanted to blame the novel for being over-the-top, the sad fact is that the s ...more
Susan
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this in 2012 and all I remembered was that I liked it, so it was time for a re-read.

Kate is a 17 year old girl who's used to being bullied at school. People somehow feel that's she will never fight back, so she's an easy target. It doesn't help that she wears only second hand clothes and has no money whatsoever.

Kate learned at an early age that it's no use fighting bullies. She would know, since her mom beats her on a daily basis. Kate never knows what might set her mom off so she tries t
Sky
Oct 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish

In all honesty, I am sick of these types of books, books that use abuse as a plot devices to trigger sympathy, but all its triggering is anger. This book is shallow, mediocre and an even worse replica of Barely Breathing, there were a lot of grammar mistakes, a lot of unnecessary scenes and a hell of a lot of scenes that are supposed to be heart-breaking, but all it got out of me is an eye-roll.

Kate, our perfect MC, is beautiful, so beautiful that all the girls are jealous of her and beat her u
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★
Tissues are needed for this one

17-year-old Kate has lived her whole life in abject poverty, with an alcoholic father and drug-addicted mother, who severely abuses Kate. At school, her second-hand clothing marks her as a target. Her refusal to stand up for herself makes her the recipient of her classmates taunts and bullying. That is, until Henry returns. Henry Jamison moved away six years earlier, just as he and Kate had begun to develop feelings for one another. He returns to find the bright, f
Tom
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m going with a very conflicted 4.5.

This is the story about Kate and Henry. They form a bond very early in life when they meet in kindergarten. Around 5th grade Henry moves away and Kate’s life is turned upside down by something more serious than his moving. Fast forward 6 years and Henry returns to find a very different Kate. She is the pariah of the school and is picked on by everyone. Henry tries to pick up as her friend but Kate’s insecurities and paranoia stunt the pace of their reunion. K
Tiffany Loves Books
I'll start by saying WOW, this is an amazing read! This is truly a roller coaster of a book. You never know where the story line is going. There is absolutely nothing predictable about it. Also, you spend the book in emotional highs and lows. Although admittedly, I spent most of the book crying. It was also so romantic and I loved watching their love form and evolve.

The book was truly impossible to put down. There is something about the book that is so relatable, especially when it comes to the
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow! Thanks to my Kindle for putting me in touch with some fabulous books that I would have otherwise never found. This being one of them.
This book was everything that previous reviewers have said so I can't really add much else, except to say - don't judge a book by it's cover - horrible cover, but the contents were outstanding.
The whole story was sad and uplifting.
The characters were wonderful and I couldn't put this book down.
So, stop reading this review and download this book now!!! You will
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
How I wish Henry was REAL!
Damn, I fell in love with him, Hard.

Sometimes I wish for a wand that with which I could make book characters I like real.. lol

Beautifully written, the story and plot was amazing.. I found some things tooooo over hyped, but it was still not irritating. The book is emotions and dept! Loved it.
The mother was a psychopath!! Like seriously woman, fucking crazy much!?
Father was a fool.
Henry's family was just EPIC!! Loved them!
Ails
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ails by: Jan Bethel
Shelves: contemporary
Aghhh I'm sorry it's been a long time since I gave full reviews. I'm having a very busy term in school (I barely have time to read books! *sobs*)

REVIEW TO COME!
Jessica
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing book! Me being a single mom have no clue how a mother could EVER hit their child just the thought of it breaks my heart. although even though I feel that way I love how they made it the mom instead of the dad because to me, at least is uncommon. But when the dad would come home drunk and stand outside Kate's door my stomach would clench and I'd think stay out, stay out, stay out. I think he did it because he felt so bad for Kate that he would stand there and think how m ...more
My Book Friend
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kate's life used to be normal, but now it's not. She is constantly bullied at school, and then comes home to a mom who is a drug-addict, and a father whose best friend is alcohol.

After moving away for 6 years, Henry is shocked by what he finds when he returns. The girl who he had a crush on since he left is now completely different- and not in a good way. The more Henry tries to become friends with Kate- the more she pushes him away, what he doesn't know, is that it is out of fear.

When I read
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Keep Swinging Kate!

Holding a scared little boy's hand to enter kindergarten and having that hand hold yours when you needed it most! Wow I loved Henry's love for Kate from the valentine to reappearing in her life and never taking no for answer! Great story of survivial, forgiveness and Love!
Tina Reber
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since a novel brought me to tears. I cried like a baby reading this story. Highly recommend.
Just My Bucking Book Blog
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
**Spoilers alert**

Man, I can't even begin to explain how beautiful this book is. Seriously I was fanning my face repeatedly with my hands to stop tears from falling (Which didn't work, they fell anyway).

My heart literally ached for Kate reading what she had to go through, it really opened my eyes that children of all shapes/sizes/races/gender/ages go through this on a daily bases and it angers/saddens me so much!

Henry's love for Kate carried from when they where little up until he met her again
Lara Moore
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've never cried so much reading a book. There were times I couldn't even breathe. I loved Henry, and Kate is such a powerful character. It breaks my heart to know this going on all over the world. How can people be so cruel.
did you cry? 9 85 Sep 05, 2014 11:05PM
Any books like this? 19 485 Apr 14, 2014 06:23PM
Thoughts 9 105 Jun 09, 2012 05:57PM

• Wishing for Someday Soon
  • Unlovable (Port Fare, #1)
  • Sophie & Carter
  • Running Barefoot
  • Summer Sunsets (October Breezes #2)
  • Almost
  • A Little Less Girl
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1)
  • Fragile
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • His Eyes
  • Rock and a Hard Place (The Jamieson Collection, #1)
  • Grounding Quinn
  • The Wrong Path
  • Finding Home
  • Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)
  • The Stillburrow Crush
Cindy C Bennett was born and raised in beautiful Salt Lake City, growing up in the shadows of the majestic Rocky Mountains. She lives with two daughters, and three dogs. She also has two sons and two daughters-in-law. She volunteers her time working with teen girls between the ages of 12-18, all of whom she finds to be beautiful, fascinating creatures. When she’s not writing, reading or answering ...more
“This is stupid, Kate. I love you. I want to be with you. Today, tomorrow, always. And I know you love me. Tell me I’m wrong about you, about why you left me. Tell me you don’t love me.” 65 likes
“Well, those who aren’t waiting for you don’t know what they’re missing.” 52 likes