Start by marking “This Boy's Faith: Notes from a Southern Baptist Upbringing” as Want to Read:
This Boy's Faith: Notes from a Southern Baptist Upbringing

This Boy's Faith: Notes from a Southern Baptist Upbringing

2.81  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
An unforgettable memoir about growing up Southern, grappling with faith, and confronting a childhood colored by religion, Bible Belt culture, and a mother who minces words better than a food processor

A child stumbles upon a vintage photograph and glimpses salvation. A young girl vanishes in a famous cavern when she runs away from her tour group. A hijacked plane circles
Published April 5th 2011 by Crown (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about This Boy's Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Boy's Faith

Rachel
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look at how events that are so greater than us in our youth have the ability to shape and mold our lives - before we come of age and believe we've abandoned them. Going beyond the religious backdrop - Hamilton's story is incredibly relatable, a well-told and honest look at the role of familial relations on our psyche... Really liked this - couldn't put it down. Done in a few hours. Hoping for a continued great outlook for Owen!
Kim D
The author sounded bitter and resentful. Less a tale on growing up in a strict Baptist family, and more a "my parents are self-centered and selfish" recounting. You are a grown up, sir. How you react to your parents now is your choice.
Matt
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Because this is someone's memoir It feels bad to say there's not much here, but there isn't. Abandoning the South for New York is cliche. Losing your redneck faith & becoming cosmopolitan is also cliche. But in the end that's all this book is about…
Susan
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This Boy's Faith Hamilton CainBooks like "This Boy's Faith" are pretty much the reason I felt compelled to publish my memoir. It's about a boy who grew up Baptist, seemed fine with it at the time, until he became an adult. It's about "growing up Baptist ... and then growing up," as the jacket reads. I enjoyed Hamilton's tales of his childhood (well, mostly - this book veered way farther into explicit areas than I'm comfortable with), but then he kept having to prove to us, over and over, how sma ...more
Donna
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've known Hamilton all my life; his parents and mine were best friends, and he's a year older than me and a couple of years younger than my older brother. His sister and I are the same age and were classmates throughout elementary and secondary school. I know many of the people and remember many of the incidents portrayed in this book, even disguised by pseudonyms. I applaud Hamilton for working through his family and religious legacy with creativity. My experience wasn't entirely similar, alth ...more
bob
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book expecting something along the lines of Anne Lamott and instead I felt like I was reading "Mommy Dearest". Mr. Cain seems very self absorbed and upset with his parents and their faith. I think if his wife wanted to have a good understanding of where he was coming from rather than rent "Jesus Camp”, maybe she should have rented "Footloose” because after reading this book I think that sums up the authors feeling about faith.
Chido
I read this book in a couple of hours. I can't say I relate to his strict Southern Baptist upbringing. I enjoyed most of it. The book is not neatly wrapped up for me but that's because the author clearly still has issues with his parents.
Jill Boyd
Aug 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed many of these author's childhood stories. He is much harder on his mother than the authors of The Glass Castle (Jeanette Hall) and Breaking Night(Liz Murray) even though he never went without, always lived in a stable home, and had the love of family and friends.
Denise
Jun 25, 2011 added it
This is a very different sort of read for me, but I decided to read AT LEAST one non-fiction book this summer, and this was my choice. I'll keep you posted!
Susan Reed
fair. disjointed. poor timeline.
Michelle