Start by marking “The Book of Lost Things” as Want to Read:
The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  54,665 Ratings  ·  6,978 Reviews
David doesn't know much about life beyond the walls of his room, except what he reads in his books. Mourning the death of his mother and angry at his father for moving on so quickly, David is pulled into a world next to our own and discovers all the stories he's read have come to life. However, these stories are different. Angrier. Darker.

As David makes his way through the
Published August 30th 2011 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Lost Things, please sign up.
Josh I love Over the Garden Wall, but I don't see the connection. They're two recent young adult dark fantasy works, that's as close as it gets; dozens of…moreI love Over the Garden Wall, but I don't see the connection. They're two recent young adult dark fantasy works, that's as close as it gets; dozens of works fall into that category.(less)
Sierra This is one of my favorite books. I often reread it every other year or so. It is very dark, yet so enjoyable, especially if you like fairy tales. It…moreThis is one of my favorite books. I often reread it every other year or so. It is very dark, yet so enjoyable, especially if you like fairy tales. It is definitely worth reading.(less)

Felicia
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is kind of a deceptive book. It seems like it could be young adult in tone at first but it is NOT young adult. It's an adult urban fantasy starring a child. Very cool and immersive, and a bit dark. Hell, a LOT dark sometimes, haha. The lore is very cool, you can tell that the author really loves folklore and all the elements of the world are interesting and believable. Worth checking out if you like magical realism and a lot of bite to your fairy tales.
Stephen
Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Στον μεγάλο και ανείπωτο πόνο,μπροστά στο αναποδραστο, η ψυχή και όλη αυτη η ενεργεια που την περιβαλει,πριν αφανιστεί οριστικά απο θλίψη και σπαραγμό, πριν χαθεί για πάντα στην κοιλάδα των δακρύων,πριν την τελειωτική συντριβή της κανει κατι μαγικά λυτρωτικό: ΑΠΟΔΡΑΣΗ απο το έρεβος του θανάτου και ΑΠΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΩΣΗ μεσα απο ονειρικά φτιαγμένα ΠΑΡΑΜΥΘΙΑ.

Εννοείται πως τα παραμύθια ειναι για παιδικές ψυχές τρυφερές αγνές και μεγαλειώδεις και ίσως όλες οι υπάρξεις πανω στη γη να γινονται ίδιες μπροστά στ
Lisa Vegan
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, especially those who have used reading to get through challenging times
Part fairy tale and part psychological study, I found this to be an engrossing and powerful book. Recommend to everybody, particularly those who have used reading and books to get themselves through difficult times, especially in childhood.

I don't look at this book the way some readers apparently have: as sci-fi or fantasy, but instead see it as showing the redemptive power of books and stories in children's and adults' lives. And as an account of one boy's inner life and imagination.

I'm not sur
Kai
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Pan's Labyrinth and Coraline
Shelves: owned, 2017

This turned out to be a lot darker and crueller than I expected it to be. But in a good way.
Now, if you consider reading this with or to your children: don't. If I had to set an age limit I would say 13 years, at least. This is some real twisted Coraline shit. Don't mistake it for anything else.

It starts off promising but without any hint where it is going. It could have been a historical
Annet
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dark, weird
Extraordinary book, really special.
Story about the seven dwarves made me laugh :-)

Magical book! I have my eyes on Nocturnes now of Connolly.
Rosh
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Didn't like this book as much but it did motivate me to sketch*Didn't like this book as much but it did motivate me to sketch

Take all your favourite fairy tales from your childhood(from odd mixture of Wizard of Oz to Labyrinth to The Never Ending Story to the most sadistic part of Grimm's Fairy Tales), now throw in some well known poems and mix together with a story of a child coming to terms with the death of a parent. And you've pretty much got this. But did it work?

description
This books is rather dichotomous. There were some really wonderful bits, and there were
mark monday
Fugue state, formally Dissociative Fugue... usually involves unplanned travel or wandering, and is sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity. Fugues are usually precipitated by a stressful episode.

in world war 2-era england, young David loses his mother after a lingering illness and begins to experience strange dissociative episodes, often involving the sounds of books whispering to him and usually ending with him falling into unconsciousness. soon enough, his father finds a n
Mith
I stayed up till 1 last night to finish this book.

I REGRET NOTHING.

Recently I've taken quite a fancy to fairy tale re-tellings. You can go right ahead and blame Gail Carson Levine for that. The Book of Lost things belongs to that genre, albeit a bit LOT more darker.

The book begins by introducing us to 12-year old David who has just lost his mum. He finds out that his dad is getting remarried and pretty soon finds himself with a baby brother, whom he hates on sight. Deep in his depression, he be
Robotkarateman
Carol.
This is definitely not a young adult book. If you should try, with best intentions, after reading numerous glowing reviews and having heard Connolly's name bandied about the bookish world, to gift this one to a ten-year-old, expect stern words and doubts of judgement. And for pity's sakes, don't give it to any girls, because it's even less friendly to the female person than Grimms' Fairytales. In fact, it does bear a strong resemblance to the writing of the dear Brothers, which is not a been a b ...more
Chesca

John Connolly’s The Book of Lost Things is a tale that reflects everyone’s story of growing up. Some would say that it’s a story of losing one’s innocence, but are we ever really innocent? Through time we have come to develop feelings of grief, rage, hatred, and jealousy. These are some of the things that eat the pure off of us. At some point, we have all become the things we feared t
James
4 stars to John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things. I added this to my "To Read" list sometime in 2015 as it reminded me a little bit of the "Once Upon a Time" TV series which I love. And it didn't disappoint!

Story
A young adult novel focusing on a young boy's quest to fit in his earthly world and survive in his fantasy world in 1940's England. Young David (around 10) has suffered a lot as a boy. His mother dies early, his father remarries quickly. He is shy and doesn't venture much out of his
Kawther (TheVillainLibrary)
― John Connolly,

description

I love the cover of this book, isn't it so gorgeous ??

This book is my favorite book of all time. I love getting back to it every once in a while and reread few passages, i feel it pulling me back in, tempting me to dive in its beautiful world of adventures once again. so finally i decided to post my thoughts about it.

One thing you should know about me, is that I LOVE fai
Hannah
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I am as surprised as anyone about my rating - I genuinely thought I would adore this book. So much in fact that I kept putting off reading it to ensure I'd get the most of it. On the surface, this book is perfect for me as it combines many of my favourite things: fairy tales, hidden worlds, adult books with children as the lenses through which to see these hidden worlds, re-tellings, a sibling relationship that feels real, imaginative world building and and and.

Don't get me wrong, this book was
Lyn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fable like, but not YA.

John Connolly’s 2006 revisionist fantasy will draw many comparisons due to it’s fable / mythical themes. Most notably will be a comparison to CS Lewis’ Narnia books since this is set in England during WWII and our young protagonist finds his way into an alternate world. It’s alternate fairy tales will also draw comparison to both Gregory Maguire and L. Frank Baum. The urban fantasy parts made me also think of Charles de Lint’s fine work.

Because of the youthful hero and the
Bill Khaemba
Coming off from reading Lord of The Flies, I can definitely see some underlining similarities in both of them in the sense that both authors chose to use children to get their points across in a dark deeply disturbing way. Both backgrounds were hostile and unnerving and some imagery will stay with me for a while.

Image result for hides faces gif

The book follows David a young boy who is trying to cope with a family traged
Nikoleta
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Καταπληκτικό! Τελικά... αυτό το "ζωή σαν παραμύθι", ίσως να μην είναι τόσο υπέροχο όσο νομίζουμε!
Ron
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Held within this book are not the fairy tales I heard as a child. They surely would have messed me up if I had. Connolly creates something wholly fresh by weaving a new fantasy with old tales placed in the mix – with a twist that is twisted mind you. It is the story of David lost in another land, and his journey to find a way home.

4 stars for scaring the child in me…for making me wonder, cringe and also laugh as an adult reader…for the adventure of it, and the heartfelt story inside all of this.
Karina
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fairytale turned nightmare. I loved this!
First off, let me tell you that this is not something for the faint of heart. Some passages were definitely scary or just plain twisted and gross (think bad witch cutting off children's heads and putting them on animals to then hunt them..). I want to get that out of the way because the word fairytale can be misleading. Those elements in the story were used sparingly though and never took over the story to the point were it turned into the horror genre
Liz
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story. Fantastical adventures, battles, castles, monsters, magicians, heroes, and foes. There was so much more than I expected in this book -- which is billed as YA, yet of which I remain unconvinced -- but none of those things are even the best part. What moved me the most was the story of David himself, and the evolution of his character.

David is a twelve year old boy who is grieving the loss of his mother and struggling to accept the upheaval of his life. And he’s angry… who wou
Carlos
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow , what can I say? This book destroyed me, this book surpassed my expectations for it , I picked this up thinking it was going to be just a vapid book but boy this it's so much more that it's blurb would let you to believe. Think Grimm brothers, Disney , folk and fairy tales , ya modern literature (I'll compare it to a monster calls) and you will get a glimpse at the work that went behind this book. Then ending would make you feel all the feelings ..... I will not soon forget this book!!!
Lori
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fricken-awesome
Read this book without really knowing too much about it. Just that other reviewers were impressed and it centered around a little boy and some dark versions of fairy tales that I had grown up on.

Wow.

Wow.wow.wow.

That is what I have to say when I got to the last page.
It was a really really great story. 10 year old boy who loves to read, loses his mother, hates his new stepmother and stepbrother.... gets pulled into this fairy tale world where things are familiar yet somewhat strange. Evil lurks ar
karen
this was fine. i think i expected it to be a little more grown-up than it was. in many ways i am a huge infant, but not so much in my reading, unless its reeeally young reader picture books. but this had some nice reimaginings of traditional fairy tales, and it certainly doesnt take long to read, so i recommend to those adults that are already reading the harry potters and twilights. you babies!
pink (not just another shade of red)
According to Alice Hoffman, every fairy tale had a bloody lining. Everyone had teeth and claws.
This one got fangs. And razor-sharp claws.

It will lure you in with promises of magical books and mysterious flowers. Then, when it has you firmly in it's grasp, it will suck you in deeper into the dark. And won't let you go until it has its way with you.

In Book of Lost Things, John Conolly collected fragments of my beloved bed time stories,twisted them so crookedly,and made them ornaments to a dark,bea
Anna
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένα πολύ ιδιαίτερο βιβλίο, με το τέλος του να "παίζει" με τα συναισθήματα του αναγνώστη και να το ανεβάζει κατηγορία. Ο μοναδικός λόγος που δεν του έβαλα 5 αστεράκια, αλλά παρέμεινα στα 4 που είχα αποφασίσει να βάλω όταν πλησίαζα προς το τέλος του βιβλίου, είναι πως παραθέτει με περισσότερο "διδακτικό" τρόπο τα μηνύματά του από αυτό που θα ήθελα, και ίσως αρκετά ξεκάθαρα, ενώ εγώ θα ήθελα να τα αφήσει να αιωρούνται ώστε ο καθένας να τα ερμηνεύσει με διάφορους τρόπους. Θα ήθελα δηλαδή το τέλος να ...more
Mark
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Kasia!
Shelves: k-m
This was me after finishing this novel, my first read from John Connolly:

description

It was so gut-wrenchingly emotional. Every bit of it. From the harrowing beginning, to the Labyrinth-on-acid fantasy world in which the main character soon finds himself.

There's so much going on in this novel. It seems like a children's fairy tale, but if I had read this as a young'un, I would probably be in an insane asylum to this day. I know Connolly typically writes crime fiction and this being my first, I'm unable to
Έλσα
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ΥΠΕΡΟΧΟ, ΚΑΤΑΠΛΗΚΤΙΚΟ, ΣΥΓΚΛΟΝΙΣΤΙΚΟ!!!
Kim
This is why I don't read the front jacket of books. I get sucked in thinking 'wow--this makes a good story'. Hmphf.

Okay, it's not a bad story. It had its moments. But, it lost me when it started twisting fairy tales to be all sorts of clever. Snow White as a hefty, insult laden uber wench? yeah. whatever.

The story outside of these sidebars is actually quite interesting, a boy's journey in a strange land, grieving over his dead mom, etc... but I still found myself wondering what those dudes that
Rachel
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up blindly and bought it from the description on the book jacket alone. I wish I'd liked it more; rather, I wish it'd been better-executed.

My main trouble was with the telling-not-showing style of writing. In the words of Twain, "Don’t say 'the old lady screamed.' Bring her on and let her scream." The turbulence of David's inner life ends up muffled by the flat and dispassionate narrative ("He experienced a wave of pity for the dead man...", "He was still angry at God for what had
Around the Year i...: The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly 24 85 Aug 09, 2017 12:52PM
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • Tender Morsels
  • Black Thorn, White Rose
  • In the Forest of Forgetting
  • How to Buy a Love of Reading
  • Tigerheart
  • White as Snow
  • The Child Thief
  • The City of Dreaming Books (Zamonia, #4)
  • Peter & Max
  • The Book of Flying
  • M Is for Magic
  • Some Kind of Fairy Tale
  • Briar Rose
  • The Testament of Gideon Mack
  • Sharp Teeth
  • Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat, #2)
  • The Book of Joby
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more
More about John Connolly
“For in every adult there dwells the child that was, and in every child there lies the adult that will be.” 690 likes
“I think the act of reading imbues the reader with a sensitivity toward the outside world that people who don't read can sometimes lack. I know it seems like a contradiction in terms; after all reading is such a solitary, internalizing act that it appears to represent a disengagement from day-to-day life. But reading, and particularly the reading of fiction, encourages us to view the world in new and challenging ways...It allows us to inhabit the consciousness of another which is a precursor to empathy, and empathy is, for me, one of the marks of a decent human being.” 397 likes