Start by marking “The Chicken of the Family” as Want to Read:
The Chicken of the Family

The Chicken of the Family

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Henrietta?s two older sisters love to tease her. When they try to convince her that she?s actually a chicken instead of a little girl, it?s pretty hard to believe at first. But the evidence is all there: her legs are kind of yellow, and her toes are kind of long. The feathers she finds beside her bed the next morning settle it, and Henrietta heads off to the farm to find h ...more
Published 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken of the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicken of the Family

Hannah
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This children's book is so wonderful! The youngest of three sisters, Henrietta deals with a good amount of taunting and teasing. She starts to accept her sisters' assessment of her, but it opens a new and wonderful experience. It's such a great, topsy turvy response to teasing. The illustrations will make you smile too.
Suzanne
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Illustrations were fun. I wasn't too keen on the sister's calling Henrietta a "dumbhead" though.
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO hilarious, it reminds me of me when I was little!
Apr 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
I hate it when an author of a children's book uses inappropriate language. "Dumbhead"? Really? I am glad the girls can't read yet and that they didn't know I changed a few words to be more suitable.
Shelby Hayes
Summary: Henrietta had two older sisters that liked to tease her. One night they convinced her that she was a chicken. They told her that she laid eggs at night and they plucked her feathers out before she woke up. Henrietta ran away to the local farm where she decided to be with the chickens. When her sisters came to convince her to come home and tell her she was not a chicken, she realized she liked being a chicken after all.

Evaluation: This book is a funny, light read to read with students. T
Amanda Walz
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Henrietta has two older sisters who, one night, convince her that she is a chicken. This made me laugh. I think it is often the mission of older siblings to convince the younger that they are something they are not. Such as a chicken. @_@

This is a cute story. Then ending is a little abrupt with the words, but the picture tells what happened.
Kelly
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most of us have been teased by a sibling. But this teasing backfires on the siblings doing the teasing. Loved the illustrations.
Mazie Lu
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book.
This was a fun read. I loved the illustrations. I felt like the ending could have had more resolution.
Mary Ann
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Did you ever tease your little brother or sister? Or maybe they taunted you?? All little brothers and sisters have to figure out how to deal with older siblings who try to pull one over on them. If you have a littlest one in your family, check out The Chicken of the Family. It is hilarious as it shows the youngest sister deciding what she wants to do.

Henrietta's two older sisters always tease her, and she hates it. One night, her sisters tell her that she is really a chicken that their mom got f
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
I've been recommending this book to some of my favorite 5th grade readers. I have a nice variety of kids who check out a good chapter book and then visit some of their favorite picture books. Every kid that I've recommended this book to has liked it too!

LOVED it! Funny, fresh, and a great voice. Henrietta's two older sisters convince her that she's a chicken. Their ruse is both convincing and transparent. The next morning, Henrietta runs away to find her chicken family. When her sisters come to
  • Born Yesterday
  • The Cow That Laid an Egg
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
  • Bunny Days
  • Farm Flu
  • Wild Boars Cook
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
  • A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Thunder-Boomer!
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Garmann's Summer
  • The Bog Baby
I write fiction for young adults and children and enjoy connecting with my readers through Skype and school visits. I also write for adults--songs, plays, poems, and essays. I teach privately via Skype and in person.
More about Mary Amato...