Start by marking “Choosing Sides (New X-Men: Academy X #1)” as Want to Read:
Choosing Sides (New X-Men: Academy X #1)

Choosing Sides (New X-Men: Academy X #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  733 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The children at the X-Mansion thought they had it tough when Professor X was running things - but now that Cyclops and Emma Frost have taken over the reins of the school, they're wishing for the simpler times of yesterday.

As a new semester begins at the Xavier Institute, the X-Men-in-training are just getting comfortable with one another as the devastating news hits: the
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published January 5th 2005 by Marvel (first published December 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Choosing Sides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choosing Sides

Anna Banana
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
These comics are so addicting! Love the whole idea behind these volumes and even though there's a bit of juvenile drama in them, it's doesn't bother me at all. Oh comics, where have you been all my life... <3
Annabelle
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Teenagers being teenagers.

However, I am growing to like Emma Frost, something that I didn't think would ever happen.
ImJaclyn
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, poc
I love these comic! They're all so badass. I'm so happy I started reading them!
Shannon Appelcline
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
A little too Dawson's Creek, and that could get really old really fast. For now, though, I'll enjoy these character-based stories and look forward to how they'll grow.
Craig
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Continuing the great x-read of 2017...
(I'm a little out of continuity order here due to a mix-up so I am reading this series up to House of M and then I will be back in place...)

I love coming of age stories. I love Mutant comics. So this series is pretty much written for me.

The problem is, Marvel is always making these series about the younger generations of X-Men. And I always get to know and love the characters. And then when the series ends, those characters more or less disappear off the f
Christopher Mclean
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I love teen drama meets comic books so this was right up my ally. This first arc get's us off to a decent start too, introducing some good, varied characters, and manaing to fit in a decent little story on the typical x-men co-operate V dominate when dealing with normal humans.

My biggest problem was the art which ranges from just not fitting style and tone of the story to having simply horrible depictions of basically every female character in the book.
Azuree
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the X-Men franchise - I love the movies and I grew up watching both the older cartoon and X-Men Evolution. When I saw this graphic novel available, I figured I'd give it a try. Although the illustrations were great and the characters and mutant abilities were cool, I thought the plot line was a little annoying. The majority of the book was the same two characters fighting between each other bringing everyone else into their bickering. I don't think I'm going to keep going with ...more
Todd
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's strange reading the fallout from Magneto's attack on the Xavier Institute. For one thing, I didn't realize the old New Mutants series was at the same point. For one thing, I don't remember Jean ever being referenced so I thought she was dead.

These characters are the kind that I think Marvel really does best: teenagers. I don't know why, but Marvel seems to have writers that can get the teen voice down. There also seems to be better diversity. I'm interested in seeing where these characters
Mitchell
Yet another Mutant Academy story. It kind of feels like yet another reboot. And Emma Frost is at her typical irritating level as is Scott Summers. And Really Dani and Rahne are no better. But the latest crop of kids are interesting - especially since I know we see more of Prodigy and Dust and some of the others later. So definitely not high art in the fact the art is kind of inconsistent. But pretty good 3.5 of 5.
Earline
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sci-fi, series
I really liked the first New Mutants trade, and was a bit skeptical about the rest of the series, but so far it has really grown on me. Sorry Teen Titans. I think the New Mutants could kick your ass.

I <3 Icarus

• Decimation: Son of M
  • New Mutants, Volume 1: Return of Legion
  • Mystique, Volume 2: Tinker, Tailor, Mutant, Spy
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • Gambit, Volume 1: Once a Thief...
  • Astonishing X-Men: Nightcrawler, Volume 1: The Devil Inside
  • Rogue, Volume 1: Going Rogue
  • Cable, Volume 3: Stranded
  • Avengers Academy, Volume 1: Permanent Record
  • Astonishing X-Men: Kitty Pryde - Shadow & Flame
  • X-Factor, Vol. 4: Heart Of Ice
Nunzio DeFilippis is married to Christina Weir; together they have written a large number of graphic novels. They have written superhero comics but also created original comics and graphic novels of many genres, from YA fantasy to sports to horror to crime drama.
More about Nunzio DeFilippis...

New X-Men: Academy X (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Haunted (New X-Men: Academy X #2)
  • X-Posed (New X-Men: Academy X #3)
  • New X-Men: Hellions