Start by marking “Gölge Avı (Lucas Davenport, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gölge Avı (Lucas Davenport, #2)

Gölge Avı (Lucas Davenport #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  17,582 Ratings  ·  620 Reviews
Peş peşe işlenen cinayetler...

Kurbanların gırtlakları bir Kızılderili tören bıçağıyla boydan boya kesilmişti. Bütün ipuçları, Minnesota Kızılderili toplumunda Shadow Love olarak bilinen caniyi akla getiriyordu.

Öldürme ihtiyacı, serbest kaldığında frenlenemeyen. Shadow Love, çok geçmeden Lucas Davenport ile sevdiği kadının peşine düşer.

Teğmen Lucas Davenport ve sevgilisi
500 pages
Published March 2008 by Doğan Kitap (first published June 28th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Gölge Avı, please sign up.

Tracy The first book I read in this series was Hidden Prey. I really enjoyed that book, and decided to back track and tackle this series in order. Reading…moreThe first book I read in this series was Hidden Prey. I really enjoyed that book, and decided to back track and tackle this series in order. Reading the first book in the series really floored me, as Lucas Davenport was unrecognizable as he is a happily married family man in Hidden Prey! I assure you that he does grow up at some point; just not sure when, but I am also looking forward to the transition!(less)

James Thane
The second entry in John Sandford's Prey series barrels along at the same breakneck pace as the first, Rules of Prey. It opens with the ritualistic murder of a Minneapolis slumlord by one of his Indian tenants. That is quickly followed by the similar slaying of three other men known for their prejudicial treatment of American Indians. Lucas Davenport is assigned to lead the investigation, but he's hampered by the fact that he has few contacts in the Indian community.

The killings are being orches
Kemper
Two aging radical Sioux named Sam and Aaron Crow have planned a murderous terror campaign in which they’ve sent their followers to several locations across the country to kill various government officials and other people they consider enemies of Native Americans. When throats start getting cut from Minnesota to New York, Lucas Davenport and the other Minneapolis cops find themselves in the middle of a national crisis.

While John Sandford greatly expanded the scale from the first book to the seco
Ingrid
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three stars is quite optimistic, but there. I find JS's books mediocre so far, not sure whether I will go on reading the series.
Luan
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I've read this book before. In fact, I've read many of the books in this series and I don't remember them being quite so...so...misogynistic. There, I said it. At first while I was listening to this I was appalled thinking, "and I wrote that I was really liking this series. I told people Sandford was writing a police procedural book that was fun too." Yikes.

This second book reads like a primer for how to have an affair.

Our hero, Lucas Davenport, feels a little bad about his behavior, but as he
Richard
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, audiobook
6.5/10

Not as enjoyable as the first one in the series, the main antagonist here just isn’t as compelling as the first outing. The main character is still a massive ass and that is what makes this series stand out for me; where the drunk/loner cop routine has been done to death it’s not often I read about a cop who is sober, a game creator, rich and openly a dick and doesn’t apologise for it.

This book concentrates around the Native American (or whatever the PC term is, forgive me I’m not au faux
William
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
Sandford's writing has gained assurance in this, his second novel. The pacing is mostly very good, at least in the first half, and the main characters are well-developed. There is a superb action scene about half-way through, followed by more detective work and a romance that could have been good. The ending is satisfying, but perhaps a bit too-familiar (although avoiding cliché).

The strongest and most poignant aspect of the book is the plight of native Americans today, and in the past.
Obsidian
Sep 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
Book two starts off at least a year or so after the events in book one. Lucas and his sometimes girlfriend (when he's not looking for other women to sleep with) had a daughter together. Lucas still does something for the police department. It absolutely makes no sense that he kind of drifts around and is called in to help with cases. Lucas is called in once again when it appears that Native Americans are murdering those in the local community that have done them wrong. When a rising politician i ...more
Patricia
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've finished book 2 of the Prey series...and I'm so tickled that there are a LOT more for me to read. I'm learning that these books are not for the faint of heart, sometimes the violence and language are pretty rough, but written in such a way that I'm riveted to the page (or I guess I should say to the screen of my Kindle!) I'm immediately headed into Book 3 - Eyes of Prey.
Sherry
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with anything by Sanford, great characters, great plot, lots of action. Always a great read!
✨Susan✨
I started reading this series as a buddy read and from all of the great reviews, I thought it was right up my alley, however, I just can't connect with the main character. He is an intelegent, womanizing, adulterous cad. The story was okay but tedious and I found myself loosing attention. The ending was exciting but not satisfying. I've been told Lucas becomes more interesting and not so demeaning in the next books, I'm just not sure I'm going to continue.
Mahoghani 23
Being a cop is all about enforcing the laws that govern our cities, states and country. Being a seasoned investigator is about taking a little information and compiling it together to see the big picture. Lucas Davenport does that and some. He's not a bad cop but he does skirt along the edges of becoming one.

You must understand that Lucas does not play when it comes to getting to the bottom of any situation. This time he's trying to figure out why a particular group of guys are being murdered b
Steven
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The debut book in John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series, Rules of Prey, was expertly done but still really just a high grade Thomas Harris knockoff with all the expected trimmings: ingeniously loopy serial killer, obsessed and messed-up detective hero, twisty plot full of investigative arcana. The follow-up, Shadow Prey, was something entirely different. Sandford, a former newspaper reporter, used his knowledge of the Indian population in and around Minneapolis to create a villain (or villains) ...more
D.
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Lucas Davenport series is a little bit of a letdown from the first book, RULES OF PREY. This is not to say it isn't a good book, because it is. Unfortunately, its just not as good as RULES OF PREY was.

Most of the blame falls on the romantic subplot, which just isn't very compelling, and relies heavily on Davenport's apparent ability to have every woman in the world fall in love with him. It's just not all that convincing, and I found it distracting.

The A-plot of the book
Janie Johnson
I had to DNF this book because I just could not get into. There are several reasons why. One I just can't connect to the protagonist, Lucas Davenport. He has an attitude of nonchalance it seems, like his sh*t don't stink, he is a player, and he is as much of a criminal as the criminals are.

Also I don't enjoy that there really is not any mystery to the book. You see the crimes happen, but you already know who the culprit is. I want a mystery that holds mystery, and I get to help solve it. I just
Mike
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2nd installment in the Lucas Davenport storyline. The Minneapolis detective is pulled into the hunt for someone who is killing people who have no connection to one another. The only link is that it seems to be Native Americans doing the killing.
Lucas is balancing his girlfriend, their new baby and his net of informers. Soon, a female detective arrives from New York City, and his already chaotic life accelerates towards the deep end.
These stories are an andrenaline ride, mixed with humor and
Mappi
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall - 4/5 : Gripping

Plot - 4/5 : A web of characters. 2 Indian cousins, who cal themselves The Crows, along with their assosiates goes out to kill famous and politically important persons, to take revenge on the cruelty done to their community and at the sametime, their own blood Shadow Love has something else in mind. Lucas has to track down these Crows as well as tackle the malevolent Shadow Love.

Writting - 4/5 : Finely woven

Hero - 4/5 : Lucas Davenport. Moving strong

Villan - 3/5 : The Cro
Bill
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-us, thriller
Shadow Prey is the 2nd book in the Prey (Lucas Davenport) mystery / cop series by John Sandford. Davenport is a cop in Minneapolis; he's a computer game creator, a hard-nosed cop and a bit of a lady's man. In this story, a group of native Americans begin a guerrilla war against various powerful people, aiming for a certain man who has harmed them in the past.
The murders take place across America and bring a female NY police officer to Minneapolis as part of the investigation. Davenport finds her
Michãel
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I was disappointed with this one because I loved the first one. In this one, the author gives more description of the main character, Davenport, which totally conflicted with the image I had built of him. Plus Davenport wasn't as suave in this novel-- he cursed way more than I remembered from the first one and he spent half the book trying to get another character into bed (there was much philandering in the first one but it was more like women just fell in with him-- not that he connived it). I ...more
Jonathan Dunsky
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though not as good as the first novel in the series, Rule of Prey, Shadow Prey is still a solid mystery thriller.

Lucas Davenport is still a lieutenant in the Minneapolis Police Department. He still creates strategy games, which is where he makes most of his money. And he is still the somewhat arrogant, cocky, and unsentimental man he was in Rules of Prey.

Lucas now has a baby daughter, who lives with her mother, whom Lucas still sleeps with from time to time. He is a loving father, but fatherhood
Jim
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Davenport#2.......From 1991. A bit dated. However chock full of action, romance, and some amazing odd ball characters. Enjoyed reading in 2017 as much as I did in early 1990's. Davenport series from author John Sanford is a must read.
Wayne Zurl
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SHADOW PREY by John Sandford.....

You don’t often see Native Americans portrayed as a domestic terrorist group in a novel. But that’s what John Sandford did in this second book of the Lucas Davenport series.

The “Prey” novels are all thrillers in that we know exactly who did the ghastly murder, or more often murders, that Davenport and his team of investigators are trying to solve. In this case, the Crowe brothers, Aaron and Sam, Sioux Indians, have recruited a few other Native Americans to assas
Amanda McGill
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Wasn't a huge fan of Shadow Prey (book 2), especially when you compare it to the first book in the series, Rules of Prey.

Native Americans are taking revenge on men who have harmed them in the past. The attacks seem to be random, however there is a common element, the victim's throat being slashed. Davenport as well as a team from NYC are on the case to catch whoever is behind these murders.

First of all, I wasn't too into the murders. I found that there was too many people getting killed and ki
Donna
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I liked this one for the most part. The main character, Lucas Davenport, progressed as a main character. That is always greatly appreciated in a series, since the main character is usually stagnant....continually stuck in the same ol' some ol'. The new character introductions were done well.

I did NOT like his love interest, Jennifer. In book one, she announces that she purposely got pregnant by him without letting him know. So now in book two, she refuses to marry him and lets him know she is go
Ami
Oct 22, 2015 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF-ed somewhere along 40%

I'm skipping this one -- first, I wasn't that interested with the case. I didn't like it if the 'villains' were revealed early as well as their motivations. At least in the first book, Sandford kept the maddog's identity until a bit later.

Then I was really annoyed with the whole thing with Lucas and Lily. Do we really need that? Seriously. It wasn't the (view spoiler)
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoy that Lucas Davenport is a complex character. We the readers can't help but root for him and find him intriguing, but he's also seriously flawed. By "seriously flawed," I mean kind of messed up and he knows it, for real, not in some angsty way that's supposed to be appealing in a romance. Unlike many series, Lucas begins his banged around, and becomes more interesting as he deals with it, rather than is typical in most series, in which the protagonists swashbuckle for a while and t ...more
Ruth
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-modern
The author, himself, categorises this as a thriller but I have shelved it under crime - as there is quite a bit of crime in this book. The lines between good and evil are also really blurred which adds an extra dimension to the story. I do like Lucas, though, which is probably why this book works. I turn each page hoping for a mention of Iowa GO Hawks and I am not normally disappointed Highly recommended.
Charles
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is the first Sandford book I've read. It was quick paced and held my interest. It's a straightforward thriller with no supernatural elements. The main character is a police detective named Lucas Davenport. I didn't much like him at the beginning but he grew on me over the book. I still don't find him all that much of a hero I could root for, but he's probably pretty realistic. I'd say 3 and 1/2 stars.
MadProfessah
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Mmmmm this is probably closer to 3 stars.

I like the plotting and the writing but I think I am somewhat ambivalent on Lucas Davenport, the main character in this mystery thriller series set in Minnesota.
This is only the second book in the series I have read but his character traits are being clear: 1) he’s a reckless womanizer; 2) he’s an adrenaline junkie; 3) he’s a good detective.

The plot of this book is very different from the first, which is probably a good thing because it shows John Sandfor
Marlea
Sep 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Easily the slowest and most boring book I've read in over a decade.
Tiffany
Years ago I picked up John Sandford's Rules of Prey in an airport. The lead detective, Lucas Davenport, was a great character. A tough cop who will bend the rules to get the job done, and a ladies' man. Despite any shortcomings, Lucas is a likable character that you can't help but root for. The killer in that novel was pretty creepy, and Sandford kept the suspense going throughout the novel. I enjoyed it so much that I planned to keep up with the series but being a poor college student, I wasn't ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page count: ISBN 9780425208847 2 22 Nov 20, 2013 09:55PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix a few issues 3 29 Mar 21, 2012 12:32PM
  • Dead Prey
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • Flesh and Blood (Alex Delaware, #15)
  • Dead Run (Monkeewrench, #3)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • The Angel Maker (Boldt/Matthews, #2)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • Sudden Mischief (Spenser, #25)