Start by marking “Rip Van Winkle” as Want to Read:
Rip Van Winkle

Rip Van Winkle

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  8,761 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews
This early American tale follows the likeable but lazy Rip Van Winkle into the mysterious Catskill Mountains where he meets a band of odd fellows playing a game of ninepins. Rip falls into a deep sleep for 20 years. When he wakes up, he finds that his home is a very different place indeed. This story is a wonderful reminder about making the most of your life.
Published September 15th 2010 by Creative Education (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Rip Van Winkle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rip Van Winkle

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

"Rip Van Winkle" is considered by some critics to be one of the finest early American short stories. Almost everyone knows the basic story, but I'd guess not all that many people have actually read Washington Irving's original story. **Warning: if you're one of those vanishingly rare people who's not familiar with this story, there are major spoilers after the next picture below.**

I was inspired by Karly's review to read it for myself. It took a little digging to find the full original version
James
Book Review
4 of 5 stars to Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving. In Washington Irving’s short story “Rip Van Winkle,” Rip’s wife Dame constantly nags her husband because all he ever does is sleep, put off his chores, and play with his dog Woof. The other women in the village are tolerable to him only because Rip doesn’t have to listen to their hassling all day long. He isn’t married to any of them but Dame. Irving's satire is a humorous attempt to display wives as barbaric slave-drivers who a
Jason Koivu
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Oh Magoo, you've done it again! I read Rip Van Winkle when I was a kid at some point in time, and yet I remembered it best from the Mr. Magoo animated version.

I couldn't find that old nearsighted thespian's take on the Irving classic, but here's his rendition on Frankenstein. Bloody masterpiece! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWlDZ...

Perhaps basing your knowledge of literature on a super-condensed, 20 minute version of a novel hundreds of pages long isn't a sound idea, but in the case of the q
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

i, is for Irving

3 Stars

When I was a child I always thought the story of Rip Van Winkle was harmless; some guy gets really tired and falls asleep on a mountain only to wake up 20 years later, the end.

That’s not entirely accurate. This is a story about a man who is so busy doing everything for everyone else that he doesn’t have time for repairing or maintaining his own home. He’s always busy …. Doing stuff. And he has an evil wife who is always nagging him to do bothersome things; like come hom
Connie
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rip Van Winkle lived in a village of Dutch colonists at the foot of the Catskills, described as the fairy mountains, when New York was a colony of Great Britain. Rip was a kind neighbor, and a friend to all the villagers. But he was also a hen-pecked husband who avoided doing any work around his farm. One day he goes into the mountains for a walk with his dog. He encounters a strange looking man carrying a keg, and Rip helps him carry it into a ravine to a drinking party. After tipping back a fe ...more
Fernando
¿Qué puedo decir de Rip Van Winkle? Creo que este cuento corto pero efectivo de Washington Irving es sencillamente una alegoría sobre la valoración del tiempo.
Creo que su mensaje fue claro: disfrutemos lo que tenemos, sea bueno o regular, no nos quejemos y aunque a veces la vida nos torne las cosas un tanto difíciles, tengamos en cuenta que es lo que nos tocó, más allá de que la vida misma es elección.
Rip tenía una esposa mandona, gritona y que lo tenía bajo el tormento, pero cuando se duerme b
Melki
Rip Van Winkle, however, was one of those happy mortals, of foolish, well-oiled dispositions, who take the world easy, eat white bread or brown, whichever can be got with least thought or trouble, and would rather starve on a penny than work for a pound. If left to himself, he would have whistled life away, in perfect contentment . . .

It's good that ole Rip was a happy-go-lucky sort, because the knowledge that he passed out on a mountainside, and woke twenty years later might have killed a more
Emad Attili

Poor Rip Van Winkle!
Is this the only way to escape your nagging wife? sleeping for twenty years?!! I know you didn't mean to, you just wanted to take one day off and it lasted for a very long time!!

description

I think Rip represents America, and his wife represents Britain! When he finally woke up, Britain (Dame Van Winkle) was defeated (dead!!) and America (Rip) was finally independent!
It's a very cool image, isn't it?! The representation of the idea of getting free is truly impressive!
But, you know, it ju
Mario
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories

2.5

I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow last year, and I quite disliked it, and now that I finally had to read Rip Van Winkle for university, I've got to say, even though I did like it a bit better than The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, I still couldn't get into this story. The writing style was quite dull, and the characters were forgettable. I liked the idea of this story, but I didn't
Mientras Leo
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qué divertido y qué edición más curiosa y bonita.
Un cuento que merece la pena ser leído, entre las nuevas oportunidades y los cambios en la vida
Nicole
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars, 2012
The feminist in me really hated this story. I wonder if everything I ever remembered about this short was from actually reading it, or because it's a New York folk-tale. I thought - oh yes, this is the very fun story about the guy who falls asleep and when he wakes up his beard is long! But really, it's the story of a lazy ass man named Rip who is unhappy because his wife is mean (because he's so freaking lazy the family has actually lost a considerable amount of wealth because he can't seem to ...more
Carol
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irving
The short story opens with a beautiful description of the Catskill Mountains (which Irving never saw in person), at the foot of which is the village where the Rip Van Winkle lives during the late 1760s/ 1770s (while the area is still a colony of Great Britain under the rule of King George III.) Rip Van Winkle is a ‘‘simple, goodnatured fellow'' with a faithful dog Wolf, a son, a daughter, and a domineering wife. Rip is a favorite of the village community, and a group of men at the local tavern t ...more
Rachel Nicole Nicole
This is quite an emotional read. I cannot imagine waking up in the state that Rip wakes up in. This packs a punch and delivers a heartbreaking plot, conflict, climax and resolution. Great read!

xo,
Rach
Jessica
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American literature fans
Shelves: 2013
Rip Van Winkle is a short story by 19th century American author, Washington Irving. What I like best about this story that, though it can be taken as a children's story, it is actually a complex satire that Irving is best known for (actually...kind of like Gulliver's Travels, now that I think about it).

Rip Van Winkle is an British colonist living in American before the Revolutionary war. He ends up drinking some magic liquor and wakes to find the world he knows completely different.

Rip is lazy
Kaethe
Last night at supper we were talking about the various kinds of fey characters of human folklore, and the Spouse said Rip had spent his twenty years (relative) among hairy gnomes. I didn't remember that at all, so it seemed I'd have to read the story again. At thirty years remove from the original reading, all I could recall was the simplest plot: that Rip drinks among the fey, comes back to town 20 years later.

I'm glad I re-read it, because there's much more to the Irving telling. Kind of horri
Nikki
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
3,5 actually - fun to read, Rip is such a lazy ass, he slept for 20 years in order to escape from his wife. Nice children's story, loved descriptions, works well as some kind of a cautionary, kinda fairy tale.
I couldn't help myself and hated that he cost his family so much money, and still blamed his wife for being nagging, boring, annoying person who stood in a way of his laziness.
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
A very interesting story indeed, I'm sure for adults and children a like. There's a reason that this book has been so popular, even to this day. So, if you haven't given it a shot by now, then it's definitely time. It won't take up too much of your time and even the time it does take it'll definitely be worth it.
Binibining `E (Maria Eleynita)
I like the name Rip Van Winkle very catchy. Love the illustrations here.
Violet Night
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
when I first read this story-which was a long time ago- i thought it was harmless, funny story. A guy who everyone loves because he helps them in everything. But his wife was a little evil, so he ran away from her and slept in the mountain. When woke up it was over 20 years.
See? Harmless.
But then when I read it again, I realized it wasn't as harmless as I once thought it was. Rip Van was a lazy man. But he liked to help others because they would praise him. So busy in that he didn't had time for
Author-ization
This was an interesting story, and I got excited at the part when Rip woke up and was wandering through his neighborhood after 20 long years.
The writing was embellished with details, which I liked, but overall this short story for school was likable.
Hosein
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
متاسفانه از این داستان چندان خوشم نیومد.
با اینکه در زمان خودش صددرصد خیلی خوب بوده، اما به نظرم واقعا سطح متوسطی داشت.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
Bruce
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story by Washington Irving is familiar to every American and has become part of our national mythology. Rereading it after many years was fun and also raised a number in thought-provoking issues.

The changes that Rip experienced after his twenty-year sleep were profound but would be minimal to us over a similar period today, change has so markedly accelerated. Think of twenty years ago today, in 1990. In “information age” changes are only one example – consider computer technology. And
Carbaes
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2016
En este cuento de principios del siglo XIX, considerado como el primer cuento de los Estados Unidos, tenemos a un protagonista cuyo trabajo es ser un "marido dominado y holgazán"; un pueblo lleno de gente maja que lo quiere un huevo y un salto temporal cuya explicación se debe a un suceso de la historia de América. Y por medio hay una guerra, muchas libertades, mucho patriotismo y un marido exdominado que se alegra de que su mujer haya muerto.
Muy americano y todo eso, pero no me ha dicho gran co
Krisette Spangler
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is the story of Rip Van Winkle, the man who falls asleep in the mountains for twenty years. I've read many versions of this in my youth, but had never sat down with the actual Washington Irving tale. The illustrations by Arthur Rackham are a must have. I've been reading all of the books with his illustrations lately, and I love his art work.
Felicity Disco
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew the basic story but had never read this one, so I figured I should read along with the Classic Alice plot! I enjoy Irving's writing, and the Arthur Rackham illustrations in this edition were gorgeous. And, you know, ghost bowling. Absolutely here for the ghost bowling.
Erin Halpin
In this short story, Rip Van Winkle travels into the Catskill Mountains to spend the day and avoid his nagging wife. After meeting a strange group of men dressed in old-fashioned Dutch clothing, Rip Van Winkle falls asleep. When he wakes up, the world around him has changed and he soon finds that he has been asleep for nearly 20 years. He has missed a pivotal moment of American history--the American Revolution. Rip Van Winkle must come to terms with this discovery and once again find his place i ...more
Benjamin Goldman
This short story details the unpredictable events of a Dutch-American man falling asleep and waking up twenty years into the future. This text ties in with the concept of perspective because of how readers can analyze the ways in which the world changed in 20 years (as observed by the narrator), and contrast them with the protagonist's resolute nature. The juxtaposition of this makes the reader think more critically about the way in which time passes, and how that correlates with the amount of c ...more
Jeffrey Howard
With it's foliage-filled colonial America setting, this nostalgia-inducing legend is an ideal read for an autumn evening. It's only August, but this tale's fermented magic makes me eager for crisp leaves, apple pie, scarves, and warm cider.

Washington has created a treasure with the story of Rio Van Winkle. I only wish we had more fairy tales and legends from the early American days.
Jessica
Apr 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Artwork in the version I read is fantastic! Really beautiful. Sadly, I can't say the same for the story. I was expecting something very different then what I read. The idea of a short story without much verbal interaction between characters caused me to disconnect to the point/meaning of this short story. I was just all around disappointed.
The Ocelot Clubhouse: Rip Van Winkle 1 7 Jun 30, 2015 05:56PM
  • The Man Without A Country
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • The Slopes of War
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...

“A tart temper never mellows with age, and a sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use.” 47 likes
“But what courage can withstand the ever-during and all-besetting terrors of a woman's tongue?” 3 likes