Start by marking “Born in Death (In Death, #23)” as Want to Read:
Born in Death (In Death, #23)

Born in Death

(In Death #23)

Eve Dallas has a grisly double homicide to solve when two young lovers—both employees of the same prestigious accounting firm—are brutally killed on the same night. It doesn't leave Eve a lot of leftover time to put together a baby shower for her buddy Mavis, but that's supposedly what friends are for.

Now Mavis needs another favor. Tandy Willowby, one of the moms-to-be in
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Berkley Books (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Born in Death, please sign up.
Karen Not sure if you have read any of the series, it might be confusing if you start here. The book is set in the future and Eve and Roarke are a constant …moreNot sure if you have read any of the series, it might be confusing if you start here. The book is set in the future and Eve and Roarke are a constant throughout the series.

I like the audio versions, you might try checking one out from the library to try. I think it is a great series, on my second read through of them.(less)

Start your review of Born in Death (In Death, #23)
Lex Kent
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: het-mystery
3.5 Stars. This was another one of the audio-cd’s I got really cheap from a library sale. I only listened to this in the car so it took forever but after driving for almost 3 hours today I finally finished it. I have to admit I’m a little surprised this is my first Nora Roberts book. Even though I read almost exclusively LGBTQ fiction right now, I used to read a ton of mainstream books. I found that I liked this and thought it was a good mystery book. I also enjoyed that it is slightly futuristi ...more
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
Another totally enjoyable In Death episode, cleverly titled Born in Death since birth is as important as death in this story.

At last Mavis has arrived at the final stage of her pregnancy and Rourke and Eve have to face up to being present at the birth. With so much else going on it is amazing that they actually make it. This is a book packed with deaths, disappearances and other crimes, so much so that I was beginning to get totally confused.

Luckily Eve manages to stay in control and solve every
Sylvia
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud and I cried. One of my faves in the series for sure.
Karla
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars**

So good! Double the crime. Double the mystery. Double the hormones and babies. A special book because Mavis finally gets her bundle of joy and no matter how much Eve was dreading this event I knew she and Roarke wouldn’t let her down. The twist and turns were brilliant! ❤️

”I love you. We love you.” She took Eve’s hand, laid it on her belly. “Mavis, if I didn’t love you, I’d be a thousand miles away”
Jilly
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Eve has to throw her bestie a baby shower. She's not amused that the men get out of the whole thing and are going out drinking during it.

it stinks, if you ask me, really stinks, that you get to go out somewhere drinking beer while I'm stuck at Baby Central. Just because you have a penis."

"We'll think fondly of you over beer, me and my penis."

She ate a little more, then smiled slowly. "You've still got to be in the birthing room when she pushes it out."

"Shut up, Eve."

"Your penis won't save you
♥Sharon♥
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again no time for a proper review which stinks because I absolutely LOVE this series.

This installment was another solid read but I will say it started off a bit slow for me which is something new. To be honest I think it was just me and my mood.

I continue to adore Eve and Roarke. I love that J.D. weaves the typical life stuff that they have to deal with into the stories. For Eve it was the planning of a baby shower that was sending her for a loop and for Roarke it was the fact that he had c
Alex ♈
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

As always interesting and captivating. The story got an unexpected turn. Loved Eve's strength. Thanks God they saved the last victim.

Romance. It was good except for their 'fight'. Did I tell that I admire Eve? *lol* She is a very wise woman. Hard, yes, unapologetic, yes, but extremely devoted and just amazing!
I get that Roarke and Eve are not fond of kids, but it was a bit ott.

Bella Eve, welcome to the family! 👪

Nevertheless and despite everything,
Eve is a
Mei
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

“Okay, okay.” She rolled her eyes. “I can handle it. But it stinks, if you ask me, really stinks, that you get to go out somewhere drinking beer while I’m stuck at Baby Central. Just because you have a penis.”

“We’ll think fondly of you over beer, me and my penis.””

”“Five or six what? What?” She thought…for a moment she thought her heart actually stopped. The buzz in her ears was so thick she barely heard his laugh. “That’s not funny.”

“It certainly was, especially from my point of view. Y
Hulya Kara Yuksel
#book23 and still so good! Yup, I'm loving this series a lot!!! ❤❤❤

“Ta cion agam ort.” With his body warm and pressed to hers he murmured it. "I love you" Eve thought, in Gaelic. Knowing he used it when it mattered most to him, she smiled. ❤❤❤
Mary
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite series. I love Eve and Roarke and their supporting cast. This book is one of my favorites so far. The murder mystery was secondary to all the drama with Mavis and her friend's disappearance. There were some hilarious moments with Eve and Roarke as Mavis' birthing support team. All turns out well in the end. Highly recommended!
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say - I love this book. The experience that Mavis, Eve, and Roarke (and of course Leonardo) go through is quite hilarious and right on the mark. This book really humanizes the cast of characters - the "crime" is despicable as are the criminals, which makes this police procedural a great book.

From the blurb: Just as Eve Dallas begins to investigate the grisly double homicide of two young lovers—both employees of the same prestigious accounting firm—her friend Mavis need a favor. One of
Somia
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
😕 2.5 Stars 😕

I’m still feeling guilty about not liking this book, sorry Eve and Roarke it wasn’t you but rather the crime and plot, I just couldn’t engage, something which surprised me since the themes in this book reflect some of the tv movies I’ve enjoyed in the past. There were some tiny moments of engagement and amusement, particularly towards the end, hence 2.5 stars.

I wasn’t very keen on the onset of this book, it did take me a while to really get in to the story, but even then, I wasn’t a
Aly is so frigging bored
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
1st read 8-11 September 2013
Awwwww. Births usually make me laugh or creep me out[in books I mean] but it was great in this book, I even cried!

2nd read 3-8 January 2016
Mara
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned
Bumped this up from 3.5 stars purely because of my enjoyment of all the Mavis/Eve pregnancy shenanigans. Mystery was a little too pat, but I enjoyed it
Karla

5 Stars! By far the most amusing read in the series.

This ragtag crew has endured the worst human nature can dish out, murders, kidnapping, mutilation...horrific things, and it barely even fazes them, but a baby coming into the world turns them inside out. Just the mere thought or mention of what the body has to endure during a pregnancy and birth has them cringing in fear and disgust.

I was in stitches for a good part of the book, but the last hour I was howling with laughter. I thought Roarke
Ira
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one so good!
Roarke wanted 5 or 6 kids, hallelujah for that Eve, LOL:)))
Breathe Eve, breathe...

I kind of found out what was going on at 60%, but still fun to see how it's happened!

I love this series, actually the mystery or suspense in it not that fabulous.
I won't keep read them if just for those reasons, but I love it because the characters in this series are so wonderful and fun eventho the crime itself are grim.
Yup, that what make me continue reading how Eve and Roarke keep supporting ea
I don't think we've ever seen Eve quite so out of her depth before but trying to organise Mavis' baby shower taker her completely out of her comfort zone. Especially when she has to go into a baby store looking for a present! One of the reasons I love this series so much is that there is a lot of humour mixed in amongst the death and murder. The friendship between Eve and Mavis has always been fab but it's been even better since Mavis asked Eve and Roarke to be her birthing coaches. The two are ...more
Pamela Shropshire
Reread 11/23 - 11/24. Nora Roberts is a genius. The birthing scenes are so vividly written the reader can see all the action in her head. In its style, it reminds me very much of the climactic scene in one of my favorite books, The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer. Both have the same comic, farcical and touching qualities.

**************

Mavis has her baby. . . and Eve survives!!! LOL!

So, it's a given that this series is total brain candy. And like candy, I limit myself on how many I read in a row.
Maria
This book deserves five stars for just the scene where Eve is dashing back and forth between two hospital rooms and two women giving birth. The baby shower is a close second. And Roarke and Eve's reactions when two women go into labor in their home is a definite third. All of them are wonderfully funny. I love the way Eve is working two cases at once, going without much needed sleep along with Roarke, while she juggles the two and barely beats out the babies' arrivals with a solution to both cas ...more
CatBookMom
See review at audiobook/mmpb. Dallas needs a major kick in the butt about paying attention to major needs in her friends' lives, and Peabody keeps picking up the slack - like managing the details of Mavis' baby shower, since Eve is too clueless (and squicked out at the idea of being at the baby's birth) to deal with them.
Stephaniec
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-audio
Loved this one...Roarke and Eve's horror over Mavis's request and the two cases happening at the same time
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead, 3.5*

What started off as a brutal double murder turns personal as Mavis' friend disappears and she asks Dallas to find her. Powerful and corrupt individuals perpetrated horrific crimes against expectant mothers but thankfully Eve was able to save Tandy
The scenes with Mavis, Peabody and the births made this book for me. I've wanted a hea for Eve and Roarke hopefully with babies but their reaction to the birth of Bella has me despairing. Nevertheless this remains one of my favorite
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
Eve, Roarke, Peabody and the crew are always a good read... but the craziness off Mavis, Eve's BBF ready to deliver her baby and Eve and Roarke as her birth coaches just adds to the reading enjoyment.
Carol
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Third Read: Technology has advanced in 2060 New York City, but childbirth has been the same since the beginning of time. And despite the brutal double homicide homicide on Lieutenant Eve Dallas' Caseload she has to be there for her pregnant and best friend, Mavis, even if it means throwing the dreaded baby shower.

But Mavis needs an even bigger favor now. Tandy Willowby, one of the moms-to-be in her class, has gone missing, just days before her due date--not even showing up at the shower at Eve a
Debbie (Doc)
What can I say - I loved this book. So far, this is one of my all-time favorites of this series. Eve is investigating the murder of a professional woman. Quickly, the murder becomes two as her fiancé who happens to work for the same company is also found murdered. In the middle of all of this, Eve is tasked with throwing a baby shower for her BFF, Mavis. Both Roarke and Eve are at crossroads with Mavis’ impending delivery since they were requested to be in the birthing room.

Eve is extremely out
Ann Lou
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eve Dallas is my hero. Just putting it out there. I had to adjust with her being cold and bitchy the first few books but man, she is awesome!

So in here Eve is juggling two cases and no sleep. The murder of two young lovers and missing pregnant friend of Mavis. Let the investigation begin.

I have to say out of all the books I've read in this series. This one is the funniest. The baby shower preparation.

" But it stinks, if you ask me, really stinks, that you get to go out somewhere drinking beer w
Anastasia
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Born in Death by J.D.Robb is the 23rd book in the In Death series. An accountant and her fiance are found murdered and an expectant friend of Mavis goes missing. Another amazing book with quite a lot happening leading up to Mavis giving birth to her daughter Bella. Eve manages to carry out her investigations while attending birthing classes and holding a baby shower for her friend. luckily she gets plenty of assistance from her loyal friends. Another fantastic book in a very entertaining and cap ...more
Paraphrodite
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2016, 2019, 2020
April 2020 - re-listened during self-isolation...

____________________________

Re-listened in Dec 2019

______________________

Eve & Roarke's reactions to all the baby/birthing stuff are just so priceless...
Lauren
Born in Death
4 Stars

Whether one loves or hates her writing style, Nora Roberts, aka J. D. Robb, has hit on a winning formula with her In Death books and this installment is no exception.

While the murder mystery and abduction storylines are rather predictable (it is easy to guess both the culprits and the motives relatively early), they, nevertheless, make for gripping reading and the resolution is exciting and satisfying.

The interactions between the characters are fantastic as always, especial
J.D. Robb : Born In Death Buddy Read - March 2018 57 41 Apr 23, 2018 08:36AM
J.D. Robb : Born In Death (Spoiler Zone) 23 103 Dec 18, 2016 06:06PM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Born In Death (Dec. 2014) Spoiler Zone 36 30 Jan 07, 2015 08:22AM
JD ROBB 13 82 Jan 02, 2014 05:45PM

• Hot Rocks
  • Caminhos de paixão - A História de La Diana  Parte I - volume II
  • A Espera de Fernanda
  • Hideaway
  • Felicidade
  • Musket Ball Murder (Merry Wrath Mysteries Book 14)
  • Island Chaptal and The Ancient Aliens' Treasure (Spotless, #5)
  • Deep in the Alaskan Woods (Alaska Wild #1)
  • Apneia
  • Under Currents
  • High Noon
  • Blue Willow
  • Desired
  • The Kindly Ones
  • The Boyfriend School
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Match Play (Code Name: Danger #12)
  • The Dead Heat of Summer (Krewe of Hunters #32.5)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Shadows in Death(St. Martin's Press, September 2020) is ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)