Start by marking “Hybrids: Saga Competition Winner” as Want to Read:
Hybrids: Saga Competition Winner

Hybrids: Saga Competition Winner

A thrilling sci-fi novel set in a believeable – and terrifying – near future… Hybrids is the winning entry to the HarperCollins nationwide new author competition with SAGA Magazine.Johnny Online and Kestrella are hybrids – victims of "Creep", a pandemic sweeping the country which causes sufferers to merge with items of technology when over-exposed to their use. Kestrella p ...more
Published October 15th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 1st 2007)

Meg
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 01-fiction, dystopia, 2017
4.5/5 stats

I only give 5 stars to the books that I really loved and Hybrids wasn't one of them. But I decide to rate it with the full 5 stars because of the bad reviews that it have and I thought a lot of people would love this book but maybe reading reviews it have they wouldn't give it a chance.

So, where I may start? The book have an impressive and innovative idea. People becoming cyborgs due to a strange and creepy new desease? Man, that's mad.
The book it's narrated in a multiple view point
Robert Day
I can see where it would win a prize because it hits the right buttons as far as tech/alienation/authority goes for the youff. For me ... well, perhaps I'm not the right audience. Still - an enjoyable read and an interesting way to pass the time.
Z
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Really good concept, just not my thing.
Maythavee
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the summary, I knew that I had to read it right away. The cover also caught my eyes. It looked very...creepy... later I would know that it is actually Johnny who is a hybrid.

Anyway, the concept of of hybrids - humans who were caught with a virus called the Creep which mutates human's DNA to be merged with technology like phones, mp3s, ipods etc to be both fascinating and creepy. Anyhow, I might not explain the whole scientific process very well but you'll understand it better when yo
Cameron
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to decide if this book was a three or a four. The ending really disappointed me when I read this years ago. It was too abrupt, too depressing, and it seemed like I had lost the last 20 or thirty pages of the actual book. On the back cover, it mentions that this book was submitted in a contest and won the right to be published, perhaps there was a 300 page limit, and that could explain the rushed, anticlimactic, non-cathartic ending. So, yeah, the ending kinda ruined it for me, and if ...more
Hayden
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People
Ok, I picked this book up thinking it would be something like iBoy. It sounded like it should be like iBoy, but it was completly different. But first what is a Red, a Blue and a Grey? They were never explained!

Anyway, it was easy to tell whose point of view each chapter was from. I think something like that is quite hard to pull off, but when you do, it can help explain each character's background and feelings better. So why did I give it a three star? To me, the story didn't really go anywhere.
ObsidianCub
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Can't believe no one else has reviewed this - wierd! Very 'creepy' (!) if slightly (ok, very) unbelievable premis. I like how Johnny changes throughout the book, and evolves as well as it being really wierd. You think you start to know him and then he changrs, I am not quite sure how or why Kestrella loves him but this is a fun read if you just go with the flow and suspend disbelief. I recommend it.
Stacey
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a book I'd usually go for, but I'm glad i did! A friend recommended this and I couldn't put it down. An abstract concept but a believable one, I liked the different perspectives and the style of writing flowed well, though i will admit the ending felt quite abrupt and I really wanted to carry on reading. Some of the characters were a little frustrating but generally, a nice book if you want a change.
Pamela Morgan
Jonny and Kestrella are hybrids, victims of a pandemic that causes suffers to merge with items of technology. They're on a mission.
Angie
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
could have been better. the idea was far out, and the author could have worked it more. abrupt ending, too.
The Book Review Library
didn't finish.
Jack Pienaar
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Worst book I've ever read. It has a great concept and the potential for a great story was there, but I honestly wish I hadn't wasted my time or money on this book.
Caroline
Dec 28, 2009
Jennie
Sep 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David is a novelist, comics writer, environmental writer, journalist and consultant, and editor. He is the winner of the 2006 HarperCollins/Saga Magazine contest to find a major new children's writer with his novel Hybrids, published in 2007. In March 2008 it also won the Lewisham Schools Book Award.

"Essential reading for the cyberspace generation."

David runs his own media company, Cyberium (a mar