Start by marking “The Art Of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules For Making Meaningful Connections” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Art Of Friendship:...

Roger Horchow

The Art Of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules For Making Meaningful Connections

The frantic pace and casual attitudes of modern life have made real friendship a rare experience. The Art of Friendship shows how making true connections can greatly enhance one's life. Seventy brief essays present simple but effective "rules of connecting" with action points to help you put each rule into practice in daily life. Woven throughout are personal anecdotes f
Published by Quirk Packaging (first published October 17th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Art Of Friendship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art Of Friendship

Kyle Kerns
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2006
Not a particularly deep read, this book did provide many ideas that if put in place would help me develop new friendships and maintain those older friendships that I hold so dear. Several of the "rules" seemed redundant, but I decided to list some of my favorites (ones I think I do well and want to continue as well as ones I need to implement) as a reminder to myself. *24. Minimize Small Talk (make conversations deeper). *33. Travel (travel afar with someone near, travel with old friends, talk t ...more
Debra
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A bit tedious at parts, especially when the senior Horchow is speaking.

what I really wanted to know was how to pursue deeper freindships. i seem stuck in a shallow mode. There were some good suggestions, but it the constant name dropping was a bit off-putting.
Rebecca
May 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a collection of 1 to 2 page essays telling you what to do to make friends. I'm the type of person who needs the "how" with diagrams and charts and step-by-step instructions, so it wasn't very useful for me.
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Not very helpful! I also got bored. Platitudes?
Melissa
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I am giving this audio book a 2.5 star rating because while this book reminded me of the basics in making friends it also didn't take into one's personal accountability such as trust issues, environment (where you live, the populations etc) and it didn't take into accountability the fact that some people are on the borderline of the Autistic Spectrum.

This book made it seem like it was simple, cut dry and paste when it comes to making friends but it's not. I appreciate the helpful reminders this
Corey Wrenn
Okay--pretty basic book in fundamental etiquette. Be nice, be thoughtful, learn when to give it up, etc. Was hoping for something beyond the obvious and based in social psychology. Also takes it for granted that everyone has similar levels of social comfort; some people have serious issues with shyness and anxiety, making many of their suggestions unlikely (for instance, go somewhere new and strike up conversations with random people). The authors also assume a gender neutral approach, forgettin ...more
Jan
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing profound - but very good to be reminded of taking time to do little things.

A great anecdote:

“My friend Dick Bass (now in his 70s) has travelled far and wide and had many adventures. His achievements include being the first person to climb the highest peak on each of the seven continents, as well as being the oldest person (by five years) to climb Mount Everest (at the age of 55.) He once told me a story of a plane ride, on which he sat next to a nice man who listened to him go on about
Mary
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok but I am not an especially social sort of person so although the suggestions are good, I can't see myself making a lot of changes. I listened to it on CD and it was interspersed with readings and quotes read by Mr Horchow himself that made me want to turn off the recording. He is not a good reader.
Cathy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t love this book while I was reading it... I found it to be a little annoying. I wasn’t a fan of the format and some of the anecdotes were a bit braggy. Regardless, I found myself thinking about bits and pieces of what I had read throughout my day, and I adjusted some of my behavior because of it. I guess the authors’ message got across!
Liisa
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This value of this little book is that it encourages one to make more friends. Included are multiple ideas for doing this. Notably, no matter where one is, one should be alert to the possibility of friendships. Suggestions are made for get-togethers, party ideas, book clubs and similar milieux.
Weysan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Don't bother. Urgh. I thought there would be pearls of wisdom, instead, there was nothing but cliche advice one after another. It's meant for someone who isn't circulating themselves in society on a regular basis.
Crystal Nicole
It could have been better.
Feng Ouyang
This book shares personal experiences and wisdom about how to make friends, how to keep friendships alive, and how to deepen friendships. The rules are reasonable and should be useful. However, nothing is earth-shattering. It is mainly just common senses.
Melanie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little reminder on how to be a decent person and take other's feelings into consideration. Being someones friend doesn't make you an ass kisser.
Slow Man
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Be this the starting point to help we all to reconnect, make new connections and step outside and keep our door open so the sun will shine in.
yiming
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content note: white cluelessness.

This book has some useful tips but is clearly written by people who are incredibly privileged. The suggestions to connect with people over "ethnic" food or by hosting a "Mexican-themed fiesta" or to connect a friend who collects pottery from a group of people by an archeologist who studies that group of people...yikes. Pretty racist, fetishizing / tokenizing, and all around appalling. The book was written in 2005 and is very dated. For example, it recommends con
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
William
A nice little reminder of what a friend is and how we can push to become better in our relationships. I have always had issues with putting my self out on the line to find new friends. This book gave me a little more confidence to push myself to talk to that person I have never met before. I was frustrated with several of the tips that just seemed to be reiterations of tips that had already been given. Even though it says there are 70 tips it is really more like 35.
Kim
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly common sense but still useful information. The audiobook version is a little cheesy (some of the goofy jokes are made even goofier by the overly-stylized narrator, who at one point breaks into singsong for a quote from "South Pacific") and Roger's voice can be a little grating at times. But despite that, I'm definitely grateful for having listened to it and I'm sure the lessons will come in handy.
Aaron
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for what it markets itself as being; a book about 70 basic rules for maintaining and forming friendships. Good if you're a total hermit looking to make a turnaround but if that isn't you then you may learn a couple new things and perspectives, but nothing too specific either.

So, some things to consider, and the brevity of the delivery made it easy to swallow. But something more specific may be needed if you want more or are more perplexed about this whole deal.
Maggie
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, on-life
a simple yet helpful book -- sometimes a timely reminder, sometimes a reinforcer of what i already do, and sometimes a good and new perspective on the care and feeding of friendships ... always happy to learn new ways of being close to people as well as how to interact, smoothly, with new acquaintances
Karen
Feb 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While references to things like Friendster and Palm Pilot may make this 2005 book seem dated, there are still many worthwhile tips for making friends and having more meaningful interactions with the people you already know.
Katherine
Sep 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good source for new ideas and good reminders in a non-stressful method of presentation. Light to transport (I often stuck it in my pocket when I was going out somewhere and wanted something to read on the way) and a good one to leaf through here and there.
Charles
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice light book that provides an amusing way to update or reinforce one's social skills.
Ed Wojniak
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
Great read on the simplicity and beauty of friendship. Eye opening for someone like me who thought somehow my days of making friends were over! Silly me!!
Patti
I am blessed with many friends. This was a nice little book to remind me what to look for in new friends, and how (& when) to keep the old.

Diana
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good ideas to build and strengthen friendships.
Susy Flory
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book. It's like sitting down to a perfectly made cup of hot chocolate with a wise and wonderful friend who knows the secrets of friendship and will gladly share them.
Shawna
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how they sort of define, speak about friendship. Plus the authors shares personal stories and suggested practices.
Jason
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Cute anecdotal read with a couple of stories that did stick with me. Reads like a "Chicken Soup for the Soul."

• Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics
  • Conversationally Speaking: WHAT to Say, WHEN to Say It, and HOW to Never Run Out of Things to Say (Communication Skills, Social Skills, Small talk, People Skills)
  • Moyers on America: A Journalist and His Times
  • Making Marriage Work
  • Lit From Within: Tending Your Soul For Lifelong Beauty
  • East of Peculiar (Hannah Garvey Mystery #1)
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • Learning to Love Yourself
  • Celebrations at Thrush Green
  • Shit Happens So Get Over it
  • Simply Irresistible: Unleash Your Inner Siren and Mesmerize Any Man, with Help from the Most Famous - and Infamous - Women in History
  • It's A Guy Thing: A Owner's Manual for Women
  • Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell
  • When Friendship Hurts: How to Deal with Friends Who Betray, Abandon, or Wound You
  • Act Accordingly
  • The Art of Mingling: Fun and Proven Techniques for Mastering Any Room
  • Holiday Hideout
  • How to Be the Luckiest Person Alive!