Start by marking “Pastel Para Enemigos” as Want to Read:
Pastel Para Enemigos

Pastel Para Enemigos

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  5,841 Ratings  ·  549 Reviews
It was the perfect summer. That is, until Jeremy Ross moved into the house down the street and became neighborhood enemy number one. Luckily Dad had a surefire way to get rid of enemies: Enemy Pie. But part of the secret recipe is spending an entire day playing with the enemy!

In this funny yet endearing story, one little boy learns an effective recipes for turning your be

Published July 1st 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pastel Para Enemigos, please sign up.

Rayette Just read it, you'll get it...it could be enemy cake or BROWNIES. It's the idea that is awesome.

Rossy
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Wonderful story. This story is about a young boy who has an enemy: Jeremy Ross. He tells his father about him, and dad suggests baking him an "enemy pie". While dad bakes it, and before giving it to his enemy, he must spend one day with Jeremy. Will they get along? Was he right making him his #1 (and only) enemy? What is the pie made of? What will happen when Jeremy eats it!?!?!
Peter Randles
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book the other day; not to my child or class but to my girlfriend. Two adults sat in bed and read Enemy Pie and thoroughly loved it, and this was not only because the father in the story looked like my girlfriend's dad. The illustrations have a delightful style and the story is wonderfully written.

The story concerns a young boy who does not like the new boy down the street, declaring him enemy number one. In need of advice the boy turns to his father for help, who digs out his
Cheryl
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watched on youtube, got the impression it's long/wordy. But still effective, if just a little too obvious to experienced readers. I certainly hope, by the end, that no child is still confused.

I do wonder if Dad's recipe would work on real bullies?
Halle Stout
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute book that essentially taught me something. The book deals with enemies and how to make them your friend. The illustrations are a bit morbid but cute all the same and the lesson is truly memorable.
Kimberly Mejorada
As a high school student i thought this book was easy and interesting to read. This book was easy and interesting to read. It's mainly about the main character trying to find a way to get rid of his enemy jeremy ross. So he learns that in order for this to work he needs to spend a whole day with him, but when he got to know him he realized that he wasn't so bad and they could be friends.

It's a lesson learning book, it's best for elemantary kids to read. They will learn a lesson from Enemy pie
Cora
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Per my second graders: I liked it because my favorite food is pie! I liked it when he said, "Don't eat the pie! It may be poisoned!" I liked it because it showed you how to make friends! The pie looked good.
Stephanie Calhoun
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful book to build classroom community and address unfriendliness in the classroom. The students love it!
Paige Scott
1) Everything was perfect and the summer had started out great, until Jeremy Ross moved into a new neighborhood, and became enemy number one of all the neighborhood kids, being the new kid on the block. However, the narrator's dad had a great idea of how to handle these enemies, a secret recipe of...Enemy Pie! Therefore, he said while he is cooking, you must spend the entire day with Jeremy....and be nice to him! Therefore him and Jeremy end up spending time together, and actually figured out th ...more
Nicole Nance
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
Enemy Pie is a fantastic way to teach students about friendship. Throughout the book the main character, a young boy, struggles with his feelings toward Jeremy Ross, a boy who just moved into the neighborhood. The boy convinces himself that Jeremy Ross is his number one enemy. With the help of his dad, he bakes a pie with magic powers to serve to his enemy and get rid of him once and for all. The author does a remarkable job relating the two characters to children who often have the same feeling ...more
Leybet Parra
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book of "Enemy Pie" by Derek Munson is mostly about conflict in friendships. Enemy Pie is about a boy who at a young age already has an enemy. For the most dumpiest reason ever ( example in pg 4) . Because a Boy Name Jeremy Ross laughed at him when Jeremy strikes him out. He gets upset and call Jeremy one of his enemies ,his only enemy. He tells his father about him and his father says he has a perfect way to get rid off enemies.
The audience best to the book "Enemy Pie" is for kids ages or
Brianna Smith
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
Enemy Pie is a realistic fiction read aloud enjoyable for all ages.Students find the character to be very relatable, as he tells a sweet story of turning his number one enemy into a new friend. The boy was excited about his summer until he found out that Jeremy Ross moved into the house down the street. Jeremy Ross becomes his number one enemy, but dad comes to the rescues and reveals that he has a special way of getting rid of enemies, enemy pie. Though, enemy pie only works if you spend an ent ...more
Meg Stolte
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Enemy Pie is a wonderful story about a little boy who bakes a pie for his enemy, only to realize through the process that his enemy is actually is friend. He enlists the help of his father to help him bake a horrible pie for his enemy, Jeremy Ross. As his father bakes this “Enemy Pie,” he is told that in order for the pie to work, he needs to spend a whole day with his enemy. As he plays with his Enemy Number One, the main character realizes he doesn’t want to make him eat something awful, and s ...more
Ch_beth Rice
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Watched the reading of this story on storylineonline.net*
Enemy Pie by Derek Munson is about a young boy who is having the best summer ever until Jeremy Ross moves into the neighborhood. Jeremy soon becomes the boy’s number one enemy. The boy asks his dad for help and his dad has the perfect fix, a secret recipe for Enemy Pie. It’s so secret in fact that the boy must go out and play while his dad makes the pie. The boy ends up playing with Jeremy Ross, his enemy, and it turns out they have a gre
Melanie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daisy
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and Teachers
Recommended to Daisy by: My teacher
When assigned to read this book call Enemy Pie by Derek Munson I thought it was going to be about a kid that was a bully to every other kid in his neighborhood. But, when reading it through with my assigned group it turned out that my prediction had been wrong from top to bottom.The book was way different then my prediction it was about a kid that had a enemy list and it turn out that he just had a one particular person on it and his name was Jeremy Ross. Through out the book the kid tells his ...more
Karla Martinez
The book Enemy Pie is bases on a young kid that has an enemy that he doesn't like. He comments to his father that he doesn't really like him and so his father decides to give him a suggestion in order for him to get along with his enemy. His suggestion was to bake a cake and give it to his enemy. This little boy wasn't sure why his father wanted to bake him a pie and be nice. In my opinion this book is a great example for little kids of a young elementary age because it gives them more like a le ...more
Maria Rojas
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This is a story of how to become best friends with your one and only enemy!!!

When Jeremy Ross came to the neighborhood it was no good news to the main character. He seemed to be friends with the other kids except him, so he decided to identify Jeremy Ross as his one and only enemy. When Dad told him about a pie that would help him get rid of enemies, the boy was very interested. There was just one important thing for Enemy Pie to work, he had to spend one whole day being nice to his enemy. As th
Shannon Brasher
This is a great story to read to young children about enemies and not judging a book by their cover. The main character, a little boy, initially dislikes his new neighbor Jeremy Ross and subsequently declares him an enemy. When the little boy discussed his new enemy with his father, his father knew exactly what to do, make an enemy pie. Over the course of the rest of the book the little boy realizes he has more in common with Jeremy and that Jeremy was not as bad as he initially thought. I would ...more
Fjóla
This is a very clever non moralizing friendship tale that both me and my five year old enjoyed immensely. It has the same theme as Chester's Way, another big favorite of ours, but the approach is bit different. I was so satisfied with this book that I would probably rate if five stars if only the illustrations had been more to my taste. They're fine, but I found the grotesque heads a little distracting, even if they were somewhat expressive.
Dolly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about getting rid of an enemy. The resolution to the story is completely obvious to the reader long before it is to the main character in the story.

I love that the father teaches his son to be kind and channel his frustration in a positive way. The illustrations are colorful and fun and we really enjoyed reading this book together.

Our daughters love this book and say that they've read this book in school several times. They like watching it on Tumblebooks, too.
Kaitlyn
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
I LOVE THIS STORY! This is such a great story for teaching kids about making friends and not making a judgement about others until they get to know them. It is also a great story to teach with predicting what could be in the enemy pie. Or why did his dad say it was for enemies? Was it really a way to bring people closer together and make them not be enemies anymore. There are so many great things to use this story for and the story is such a great lesson for kids.

Definitely one of my new favori
Terry
We were as wowed by the book as our daughter. It is a clever, refreshing take on friendship and judging people. The narrator and Jeremy are cute, and the illustrations dish up some humor, too. We also liked the dad-and-son elements of the story. Kids need to know they can go to dad, too.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Rebecca Martin
I love this book! It's great for a read aloud and discusion in the beginning of the year. As students discuss various things that they want in a friend, the teacher can write them down on the whiteboard. Then the whole class can create a "pie" bullitin board. They can create small pictures of pies and then write in the characteristics of a good friend. The teacher can then post these inside the classroom.
Irina
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read in the classroom when you have students who don't get along. It talks about how friends are supposed to treat each other and not repay a mean act with another mean act. My students really enjoyed this book. We have had a lot of disagreements among the students and this book made them see their actions in a different light. Now I saw things like "remember in the book Emeny Pie when....."
Brittany White
THIS is certainly one of my favorite books. I love how the dad subliminally got the boys to be friends. This book can be read at any time during the school year, but especially when the classroom teacher senses that there are friendship issues between the students. This book serves as both text to self and text to world connections for the students.
Antonia
This book allows me to connect personally to the story. I have always been the new person in the group or neighborhood, for some reason. I remember not being like or possible deemed the enemy. However, like this book show, you have to get to know a person before you can label them. This book would be very useful with young children who are developing their social skills.
Mary
There are a number of great elements in this book. First it has a good message about friendship and conflict resolution. It also has a positive father role model where the father helps his son work through his problem albeit with a bit of tongue and cheek humor. This is a good picture book for a discussion on making friends.
Alice
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are several people I don't like, but I don't like them for really good reasons and using the tips in this book isn't really going to get those people off of my "enemy list", However, I think kids should get along, and give other kids a chance...so the enemy pie trick is a good idea (smart Dad)..What happens when you befriend your enemy? This was a good one!
Jenna Petrillo
I think enemy pie Is a good book but not my level. I think it is good for second grade But I also think that this book is great for kids who are learning about bulling and how to not be a bully.It will help alot of kids in that stage!
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED the lesson of this book. My son was totally engrossed when I read this to him and so I think the message got across - though he couldn't think of any enemies so he said I had to eat the pie on the cover (gross!). :-)
  • The Recess Queen
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • My Name Is Yoon
  • Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed
  • Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are
  • Me First (Sandpiper paperbacks)
  • Mr. Peabody's Apples
  • Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
  • I Like Myself!
  • Memoirs of a Goldfish
Derek Munson works as a writer, speaker, and all-around daydreamer. His current hobbies include playing with his kids, avoiding his household responsibilities, and crashing on his mountain bike. He lives in Bellingham, Washington with his wife Suzanne, their daughter Abby, their son Zack, and Roger the family dog.
More about Derek Munson...